Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-11-2021, 11:19 AM   #1
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
MT Sportsman SR 28x12R15

I'm looking for a set of rear tires that I can put some highway miles on that also work well in the rain. If they can provide even decent straight line traction when dry, that would be a plus.

Anyone run the MT Sportsman SR?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-6641

It's probably gonna take a couple months to get them, so I wanna ask around before buying.

Main purpose here is highway driving in wet weather. I will have a second set of wheels with slicks for racing.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:53 PM   #2
eLeSthree

Last call before i take a $600 shot in the dark! Yes or no for wet daily 70mph+???
Old 10-15-2021, 08:32 PM   #3
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
I have seen a lot of these tires here on the old school muscle cars and t-buckets and they drive them everywhere. Most of the cars I see them on are Chevelle's, old Challengers and the older Mustangs and T-Buckets, so you should be alright for a street tire. The tread looks pretty cool too. Good luck with what ever you choose.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:21 AM   #4
eLeSthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
I have seen a lot of these tires here on the old school muscle cars and t-buckets and they drive them everywhere. Most of the cars I see them on are Chevelle's, old Challengers and the older Mustangs and T-Buckets, so you should be alright for a street tire. The tread looks pretty cool too. Good luck with what ever you choose.
Thatís funny that you responded. The reason for these street tires is so i can drive the camaro up to your neck of the woods (melbourne beach area).

I think they will work and look cool, i just hope they fit. I dont expect much traction from them, i just need to not slide off the road everytime it sprinkles.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:56 PM   #5
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
Thatís funny that you responded. The reason for these street tires is so i can drive the camaro up to your neck of the woods (melbourne beach area).

I think they will work and look cool, i just hope they fit. I dont expect much traction from them, i just need to not slide off the road everytime it sprinkles.
lol, that's cool. I live just west of Melbourne Bch in Palm Bay on the other side of the river. I was at the car show today and a guy pulled in with a 68 Camaro all tubbed out in the rear and narrowed rear sporting the exact tires you are looking at, except his were 20 inches wide!! Wow did it look great. I chatted with him about them and how he liked them and he said they ride really well and are quiet and smooth, better than the other MT's he had before, and they handle better too. He also said that he wouldn't take them to the track because he could just blow the tires off the car and this was the second set he has been through. He was running a cammed 383 stroker with around 550 hp and a 4.11 gear and 4 spd. For overall comfort and ride qualities he said he'd buy them a third time!!
Old 10-16-2021, 02:27 PM   #6
eLeSthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
lol, that's cool. I live just west of Melbourne Bch in Palm Bay on the other side of the river. I was at the car show today and a guy pulled in with a 68 Camaro all tubbed out in the rear and narrowed rear sporting the exact tires you are looking at, except his were 20 inches wide!! Wow did it look great. I chatted with him about them and how he liked them and he said they ride really well and are quiet and smooth, better than the other MT's he had before, and they handle better too. He also said that he wouldn't take them to the track because he could just blow the tires off the car and this was the second set he has been through. He was running a cammed 383 stroker with around 550 hp and a 4.11 gear and 4 spd. For overall comfort and ride qualities he said he'd buy them a third time!!
Thats what i really wanted to hear! I just want a tire thats streetable, looks good, can handle some rain and last a few miles. Ive got Mt slicks and Mt et R radials and i just about shit my pants doing 30mph in the rain. The back end was sliding from white stripe to white stripe. Time for a second set of wheels.

I know they have a lot of car shows and events up that way. Im moving north eventually. Until then i may bring the camaro up during vacations.

Thanks man!
Old 10-16-2021, 08:10 PM   #7
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
Thats what i really wanted to hear! I just want a tire thats streetable, looks good, can handle some rain and last a few miles. Ive got Mt slicks and Mt et R radials and i just about shit my pants doing 30mph in the rain. The back end was sliding from white stripe to white stripe. Time for a second set of wheels.

I know they have a lot of car shows and events up that way. Im moving north eventually. Until then i may bring the camaro up during vacations.

Thanks man!
Hey bro, you're most welcome sir!! Yea we have shows just about every weekend, and sometimes more that 1 on each day and ya gotta decide which one is going to be better. Come on up man, when you do send me a PM and maybe we can meet sometime. Cheers...