Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-04-2021, 04:03 PM   #1
TheGuy203

Drives: 2010 Cammed Black Camaro SS
Exclamation Melted harness Help

Name:  7BACBBEF-482D-494A-9CA9-95ABF35ED70F.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  130.5 KB

Name:  FD5A3C97-77C9-456E-B09C-902E87CFEA51.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  133.3 KB
Rob here, 2010 Camaro Ls3 with a Huron speed t4 single turbo kit. As you can see in the pics I had burned this harness. Currently experiencing no fuel pressure and cannot run the car. It will start but won’t maintain fuel pressure and dies. I need help identifying this harness or if anyone here has gone down this same road that has any advice on this. Thank you
TheGuy203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
If that is from touching something hot, I would strip the harness back and repair the wires. If that is from a shorted wire that burnt the harness then likely I would replace. It looks like that is the abs pump that it plugs into. I think that would be part of the engine harness.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:32 PM   #3
TheGuy203

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
If that is from touching something hot, I would strip the harness back and repair the wires. If that is from a shorted wire that burnt the harness then likely I would replace. It looks like that is the abs pump that it plugs into. I think that would be part of the engine harness.
Thanks for your reply. That was our plan but it turns out that it is not the engine harness and has to do with the lighting in the front or that’s at least what chevy told me. Not able to find any part numbers that resemble that connection. Yes the wire was burned from the exhaust and I was hoping to get another harness, splice and increease the length so I can reroute the harness away from exhaust heat.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:37 PM   #4
gtstorey

If that white connector in your first picture is part of it and it connects to the ABS module beside it, I would be very surprised if that is considered part of a "lighting" harness. But maybe I'm looking at the picture wrong.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:09 PM   #5
TheGuy203

Quote:
If that white connector in your first picture is part of it and it connects to the ABS module beside it, I would be very surprised if that is considered part of a "lighting" harness. But maybe I'm looking at the picture wrong.
I understand the harness plugs directly into the abs module. I have a brand new engine harness from chevy, special ordered per vin number and it does not have any connectors that resemble what’s in the picture. In the second picture you can see the harness run down to the frame rails and back toward the firewall. Cannot find anything online to tell me what that harness is apart of. While plugged in the car will start, unplugged will not start but no fuel pressure is being built, I have to cycle ignition for that to happen but it doesn’t maintain and dies. so. I’ve been just pushing the car in and out of the shop. so there’s some engine communication happening that’s being interrupted. Car just shut off while I was driving before I found that harness in that condition.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:15 PM   #6
gtstorey

Have you pulled any codes?
Old 11-04-2021, 06:17 PM   #7
gtstorey

I would just cut out the bad sections and add in enough wire to route it as needed. You’ll just have to make 2 connections per wire.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:38 PM   #8
gtstorey

According to the service manual, the abs connector does tie to the”forward lamp harness”. I can’t find a listing for that on any of the online GM sites.

If you want the connector so you can just extend the wires with only one splice the part # is 19178089
Old 11-04-2021, 07:45 PM   #9
barkeater46

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Always happens in the worst places to get to The connectors are serviceable, as you can remove individual terminals from the connector body(one at a time !). With a new terminal and extending the wire length you could save a second splice.
Non insulated butt splice crimp connectors with sealed heat shrink tubing work well( tubing has a hot glue - like coating inside that oozes out when heated and shrunk to ensure a watertight connection)
barkeater46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:47 AM   #10
gtstorey

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater46 View Post
Always happens in the worst places to get to The connectors are serviceable, as you can remove individual terminals from the connector body(one at a time !). With a new terminal and extending the wire length you could save a second splice.
Non insulated butt splice crimp connectors with sealed heat shrink tubing work well( tubing has a hot glue - like coating inside that oozes out when heated and shrunk to ensure a watertight connection)
And I like hitting the butt splices with soldier after crimping.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:37 AM   #11
TheGuy203

Thank you guys for the replies, never gonna lose faith in camaro5, the community is just too awesome. I’ll update you guys with some progress soon.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:39 AM   #12
TheGuy203

Quote:
Have you pulled any codes?
Only code I believe p069e but it was pending and has cleared itself up. I think that is a fpcm code
Old 11-05-2021, 11:28 AM   #13
gtstorey

I don't think there is any wire in that bundle that directly relates to the fuel pump, but it does contain data wires that might affect everything.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #14
barkeater46

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
And I like hitting the butt splices with soldier after crimping.
I like solder too but w/out the butt splice. Here's a interesting tidbit about splicing wires - I had a instructor at Hino trucks tech school in Detroit a few years ago that swears by just the butt splice and no solder.(heat shrink of course)
This guy had worked for GM and Chrysler at a engineering level and related a debate he had with another engineer about wiring repair. They pull tested a soldered splice and a butt splice . Which was stronger ? the crimped butt splice
Do we need that kind of strength ? Probably not..I use both at the dealership. Butt splices always on dirty wires that are real hard to get clean enough to solder .
barkeater46 is offline   Reply With Quote