Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-23-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
DasBaldDog

Drives: 2017 Focus RS
Summer 2018 Tire Updates?

Good evening everyone,

Just picked up my Z/28 and trailered it back home but the tires on it are SHOT.

I found a few tire threads but some are old and other seem to focus on one tire or another.

What are the tires du jour?

I'm looking for a track tire that won't put me in a ditch come cold or rain.... or a street tire that wouldn't be embarrassed on a track... somewhere in that range.
DasBaldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Edit: Cliff notes are G-MAX RS. Good UHP tire, great price, excellent rain handling, tracked them and liked them.

My .02, I just swapped tires a few weekends ago. I had Pirelli's on and I hated them, so I decided to drive them into the ground via two Michigan winters. They did finally crack, so although you're in Georgia keep cold temps in mind (if you dont have a garage).
I wanted GY3R but no one could get them in time for my track day, so in a quick decision I went with G-MAX RS. My only other two options to get me to the track on time were another set of Pirellis which I hate, and a set of Conti's which I hve no confidence in after watching a MB get totaled due to hydroplane.

The G-MAX RS is new, and its like a Conti/Nitto Hybrid. I had them installed in a pinch at a Ferrari/Porsche shop, even they were very impressed with the tire. The only reviews I could find were two magazine reviews of them on a few cars, including a High HP challenger. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/gener...ires-are-made/

So it was 'kind of' a "Well, guess I'll be the guinea pig" scenario

I pulled the trigger on them, and tracked them a couple of days later. Yes I gave up some stickiness, but I gained immensely in tread depth/wear rating. Price was great as well. They communicated to me very well, I could easily find the limit. I hated the pirellis for several reasons, one of which being that when they go, it was quick and sometimes unexpected. FWIW, this thread is almost certainly going to turn into a Michelin PS4S thread, and they are great. But IMO, i've driven a ton of different tires, if I couldnt get what I WANTED, I wasnt going to overpay for Michelins that I didnt want.

Last edited by 1970judge; 06-23-2018 at 09:19 PM.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:26 AM   #3
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
The tires judge is talking about sound nice. I've been a huge fan of the good year supercar 3r. Fine in rain (I did a session all systems off in 37 degrees with sleet.). They don't have good street grip until 75 so it's aggressive but mind the throttle and warm up the rears they are fun fast. Toyo r888r 295 on a budget or 305 work well too. Great compromise tires with the exception of noise. Re71r sounds good too but easy to over drive.

In terms of track performance:
Goodyear 3r / trofeo r. / Cup2s
R888r
Re71r / re11
Mpss / mp4s / Conti

Reverse the order for livability not sure where the tires judge mentioned fit.
kramard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
AustexaSS
Build Date - Dec 08, 2014

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #1007, Black A/C Stereo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
Edit: Cliff notes are G-MAX RS. Good UHP tire, great price, excellent rain handling, tracked them and liked them.

My .02, I just swapped tires a few weekends ago. I had Pirelli's on and I hated them, so I decided to drive them into the ground via two Michigan winters. They did finally crack, so although you're in Georgia keep cold temps in mind (if you dont have a garage).
I wanted GY3R but no one could get them in time for my track day, so in a quick decision I went with G-MAX RS. My only other two options to get me to the track on time were another set of Pirellis which I hate, and a set of Conti's which I hve no confidence in after watching a MB get totaled due to hydroplane.

The G-MAX RS is new, and its like a Conti/Nitto Hybrid. I had them installed in a pinch at a Ferrari/Porsche shop, even they were very impressed with the tire. The only reviews I could find were two magazine reviews of them on a few cars, including a High HP challenger. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/gener...ires-are-made/

So it was 'kind of' a "Well, guess I'll be the guinea pig" scenario

I pulled the trigger on them, and tracked them a couple of days later. Yes I gave up some stickiness, but I gained immensely in tread depth/wear rating. Price was great as well. They communicated to me very well, I could easily find the limit. I hated the pirellis for several reasons, one of which being that when they go, it was quick and sometimes unexpected. FWIW, this thread is almost certainly going to turn into a Michelin PS4S thread, and they are great. But IMO, i've driven a ton of different tires, if I couldnt get what I WANTED, I wasnt going to overpay for Michelins that I didnt want.

Please post up some pics of the G-Max RS on your car.
AustexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #5
1970judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustexaSS View Post
Please post up some pics of the G-Max RS on your car.
I can take some close ups today if needed.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #6
AustexaSS
Build Date - Dec 08, 2014

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #1007, Black A/C Stereo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
I can take some close ups today if needed.
Yes please, I would like to see the tread pattern on a wide tire.

305 on all 4 corners?

What tire pressure you are running on track with these tires?
AustexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #7
1970judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustexaSS View Post
Yes please, I would like to see the tread pattern on a wide tire.

305 on all 4 corners?

What tire pressure you are running on track with these tires?

Yes, 305 all corners. I started them at around 32, and it was hot that day. They came up to about 35-36. I didnt feel too bad about my tire pressures. As hot as it was I feel like it was a good testament to them. I under-steered one corner a few times, but it was me over driving. The tire scrubbed some meat, but thats how it goes.

Pictures is my tires, tread depth and sidewall height as compared to the ZR1 im driving with Michelin whatevers. Sidewall height is noticeable, and G-MAX has a good lip protector on them. Side shot is to show they dont poke. They look like it, but its not as bad as pictures make it look.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2018, 06:22 AM   #8
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Michelin PS4S is my vote. Pretty much the golden standard across all makes/models of cars their tires size is available for. Street/track performance is superb for a 300 tread wear tire. Noise and comfort are black and white difference from old dry rotted Trofeos (I had those when I got my car too). Grip in the cold wet/dry and the cold/warm (not recommended below 40*F). Also, treadwear warranty is a part of the deal too. So once you buy em once, cheaper there after.

Able to flip them left to right on the car as well, not a directional tire.

$100 mail in rebate on (4) right now too...
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/b...ort-4s/p/32759

- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/

Last edited by j o n; 06-27-2018 at 09:30 AM.
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:13 AM   #9
Jetscv25

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
I have had Michelin pilot sport 4S an they are a good tire. I found the Firestone Indy 500 tires to be the best bang for the money. I found once they warm up they hook great for a street tire. My car is not a DD and has never been out in the snow or rain. I paid $740 for four tires and the Michelin tires would have cost more for just tro tires. I found the tires to be quiet and ride well and the tread pattern looks good!!!!