Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
Hooks112

Drives: '15 Z/28 #698(A/C,AW) & other stuff
First Z/28 HPDE last weekend - a few questions

I had my first Z/28 HPDEvent last weekend at High Plains Raceway. What a fantastic time in a fantastic car!

I took it a bit easy, as it was my first track day out with this car that I'm not quite used to yet. I'm also running street tires (Michelin 4S worked great), no track alignment, nor did I change my newly changed oil to the track recommended oil. Basically I kept the RPM's on the lower side, my ears on my tires, and one eye on the oil temp gauge and did cool-down laps when the oil temp got close to 250 before cranking things up again.

I had changed brake fluid (Motul 600) and had done the street burnishing procedure a couple of days before the track event, and did the track burnishing procedure on the first session of the day. The brakes were fantasticly fantastic, which is better than fantastic. I kept slowing down wayyyyy too soon, but got better as the day wore on.

I removed the "rain tray - cooling doohickey" for the event.

I noted that even though I'm not a "tall" person (5' 11.999999"), I seemed to have limited head room with a helmet on.

I should also mention that I'm paid to be a computer geek, not a race-car driver - so I'll reluctantly admit to not being the fastest mofo on the track. I still have a good time anyway.

So, post track-day, I have a few questions for you other similarly addicted track-rats:

1.) Any really good reason to put that rain tray back on, besides - uh- rain? Even if it does rain, do I care too much? I wash my engine, but not when the engine is too hot, which might be a problem... Doesn't seem like it's ever going to precipitate in Colorado again, so pondering if I should put that thing back in, as it's cool looking without it. OK, kinda a dumb question...

2.) What oil temps are you seeing on the track, assuming you are pushing things? I recognize there are some boxes in the gauge set telling me if the oil temp is within range, but I'm not sure what the top end is, or when I should be getting concerned. How hot of oil temp is too hot??

3.) Goes with question #2. What's the "safe" operating temp of the standard oil fill?? What's the safe temp for the recommended oil fill for the track??

4.) Goes with question 2 and 3... Assuming I don't want to change 10 qts of oil every time I go to/from the track, and assuming I don't want to plow thru 253 other posts on the subject - what oil can I safely run for both the street and the track? I'll assume your answer might come with stern warnings to make sure the oil is safely up to temp before pressing things, which I do anyway.

5.) I was lucky enough to use a lift to bleed the brakes. While at it, I assumed I was going to bleed the clutch. Even read up on the procedure in a few threads, noting the remote clutch bleeder add-on. Actually seeing the clutch bleeder tube, and the limited access, I'm wondering how-in-the-hell any of you actually replaced or bled this thing. Not sure what my question is here... Seems like a PITA - seems like I should get the remote bleeder, and it seems like I should pay someone to do this task.......

6.) I drove in PTM 3 for most of the day. Haven't had a chance to play with the car and PTM modes on a skidpad, where I can get a feel for how much the car will "step out" in each mode, but... I'm having a hard time "trusting" in the fact that I should be able to "mash the gas in the middle of the corner, and the car will do the rest"... Is this really true, especially in off camber corners, or descending radius corners?? Besides more practice or "just do it", what's my best approach to further believing in the capabilities of the car??

Thanks for your input and time. Here's a short video of part of a session:

https://youtu.be/0S4KhRLw9Es
Hooks112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #2
AndrewHolm

Drives: 1sadclutch
My camaro isn't a z/28, but with the mods done to the car my oil was reading 300+ after a five minute startup on 5w-30 in an LS3.

Haven't seen the oil pass 250 on 15w-50 during street or track. I drive as fast as I can and have seen great results with the thicker oil.

Still using the stock oil pump which will keep you heating up the oil before a drive for about twenty five minutes, but I've changed my lifestyle to accomodate the heat up procedure. I wait for the oil to reach 180 before starting a drive, and at least 200 for 3k+ rpm. 212+ is when I start driving as fast a I can (open throttle/+exponential stress on car)
AndrewHolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:19 PM   #3
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
Welcome to the addiction!

First, you did a lot more than I did my first track session. Kudos to you. My third one (last month) I had added a separate clutch master cylinder and flushed out to Motul 660. Very easy with the motive pressure bleeder. This pertains to your #5.. all I did was suck out the fluid, add new fluid and pump about 40 times. Rinse and repeat about 3-4 times. Have had zero issues and got all the crap out.

Q 1: Not really, no. People (including myself) have driven without it in downpours. Only time I put it back on is when I'm washing the car.
Q 2: 251 is the highest I've seen, in Texas on a 102 degree day running harder than I've run before on May 26th this year.
Q 3: Not 100% but I've read of some people getting close to 300 before.
Q 4: I haven't changed my oil to track oil. Running Mobile 5w-30 and have had zero issues after 3 full track days. Many others are the same. I daily my car along with track it.
Q 6. I run PTM 5 every time I drive it, rain or shine; track or not. You still get some rear brake, and ABS although it's applied later than you would expect. You also get full engine power. Before I got the nerve up to do it, I was in 3 every time I drove it. I have literally tried to lock up and hydroplane on purpose during a rainstorm here in PTM 5 and it wouldn't do it. This is the safest vehicle I have ever had, or been in. The level of control you have is phenomenal. I STILL haven't pushed the brakes to their limit yet, but I will this next time around. I want to feel it.

As for having the car do it for you, I can attest to the car bogging the engine down and applying just enough rear brake to make you go where the front wheels are pointed.. at a slower pace than I wanted (In PTM 1-3). But, that really hampers your time as it scrubs so much speed off. When you get to a more advanced level, you will want it to slide through corners.

I love this car to the moon and back... I have never owned something that makes me feel so complete when I'm in control of it. Don't give up. Keep pushing forward.

As an aside, for your next tire purchase (if you want a tire than can do street and track) look at the Conti ExtremeContact Sports. Best tire I've owned so far. I have them in 325/30's all the way around, and they really take the abuse of the track while being amazing on the street. I have yet to have them break loose in a way that is unexpected... and they are affordable. The owners at my local track run them on their Porsche 997's.
MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #4
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Not a z/28 but, my last track day was 110° on the track! My max oil temps were 273° on a supercharged engine — with the oil I’m running (Driven’s DT40) I’m in great shape temp wise. 250° is not bad but, running a track oil is a great idea when you start to push it.

ChevyToTheBone and I run the same track — his Z is awesome there!

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
MonroeZ28

Drives: 15 z28 white
I had 300 degree oil temps in my car 2 weeks ago when running at NJMP Lightning . it was over 90 degree temps that day when it got that hot and I was pounding the car in 3rd and 4th gear all day. I spoke to the shop that did my BTR stage 3 cam and related stuff and he told me to get rid of my Mobil 15W-50 when I got home and to start using Redline 10W-40 from now on. He said its much better protection for the internal motor parts.
MonroeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch bleed, hpde, ptm