Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Anyone buy a Nexus One yet?

It just went on sale today and curious how many people were going to get it. I left ATT because of the price but still running my iphone. Just not sure if it is worth the 570 dolla
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
For that, I could buy a second iPhone. In fact, there's an app for that—buying a new iPhone.

I do like that this one is unlocked for all carriers, though. That is a very noteworthy feature.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
For that, I could buy a second iPhone. In fact, there's an app for that—buying a new iPhone.

I do like that this one is unlocked for all carriers, though. That is a very noteworthy feature.
Another iphone means nothing to me. Only can use one at a time..LOL plus its only Edge on T-Mo
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
Another iphone means nothing to me. Only can use one at a time..LOL plus its only Edge on T-Mo
If you have the right stand, you can use both of them to mix your music.

This one shows older iPods at play, but I have yet to find something like this not work with an iPhone.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
wow, phones are getting crazy.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek

Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
wow, phones are getting crazy.
It's $570 without a contract. Essentially when you buy a phone from your carrier they HEAVILY subsidize it and charge you extra for service in order to recover that subsidy. However, once the phone is paid off, your plan doesn't get cheaper.

And, the only carrier this device won't work on is Sprint since they have a strict policy against activating any device not sold by them. Not only that, but Sprint requires you to sign a contract regardless of whether you buy a new device or not, and is the only carrier to do so.

2SS RJT with black rally stripes, RS package, sunroof, painted engine block cover. It's either that or a damned similar 'vert in a few years.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
It's $570 without a contract. Essentially when you buy a phone from your carrier they HEAVILY subsidize it and charge you extra for service in order to recover that subsidy. However, once the phone is paid off, your plan doesn't get cheaper.

And, the only carrier this device won't work on is Sprint since they have a strict policy against activating any device not sold by them. Not only that, but Sprint requires you to sign a contract regardless of whether you buy a new device or not, and is the only carrier to do so.

Don't they also charge you a monthly fee if you are off your contract???
Old 01-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
In fact, there's an app for that—buying a new iPhone.

I'm kinda stuck with ATT because the Mobile Me service from apple is so important to us with our business.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
Don't they also charge you a monthly fee if you are off your contract???
No. For instance say your plan is $100 per month (on any carrier except T-Mobile which now has contract-free plans).

Probably about $20 a month of that goes to recovering the subsidy on your phone, but if you didn't buy a phone or you've already paid off the subsidy from them you're still paying that fee.

T-Mobile has new plans that they call "Even More Plus" that are $80 a month, but you pay the FULL price for your phone either in one payment or monthly installments for 20 months, but once your phone is paid off, you stop paying that fee. If you cancel you don't pay an early termination fee, you pay for the remainder of your phone, and if you want an upgrade you can have it any time you want it, provided you pay off the rest of your first phone if it isn't already.

Usually when you do the math you actually wind up paying LESS for the phone by paying full price than you would by accepting the initial discount with the higher rate plan.

2SS RJT with black rally stripes, RS package, sunroof, painted engine block cover. It's either that or a damned similar 'vert in a few years.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #10
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
well shit i can care less about apps. i am more into features like the camera the video recording touch screen. internet is what ever to me. i don't use all the features my phones offer.

waiting for my 12mp with 720p video recording with secondary video call camera. thats also touch screen and has 3g with wifi and all that other stuff. screw iphone.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:47 AM   #11
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shevyman View Post
well shit i can care less about apps. i am more into features like the camera the video recording touch screen. internet is what ever to me. i don't use all the features my phones offer.

waiting for my 12mp with 720p video recording with secondary video call camera. thats also touch screen and has 3g with wifi and all that other stuff. screw iphone.
720p video recording isn't all that difficult to integrate, nor is a 12MP sensor, but megapixel means very little in terms of the quality of an actual image. Most cell phone camera lenses aren't capable of taking advantage of any more than 2 or 3 MP, and even the best aren't really capable of taking advantage of more than 4 or 5.

To put it in perspective a still from a 1080p HD video is about 1 megapixel.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:31 AM   #12
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Glad it was finally released. I got to play around with one of these a few weeks before christmas. Being anti AT&T, it's either this or the droid.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #13
shevyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
720p video recording isn't all that difficult to integrate, nor is a 12MP sensor, but megapixel means very little in terms of the quality of an actual image. Most cell phone camera lenses aren't capable of taking advantage of any more than 2 or 3 MP, and even the best aren't really capable of taking advantage of more than 4 or 5.

To put it in perspective a still from a 1080p HD video is about 1 megapixel.
yeah the 720p just seems cool. but as far as the 12mp the phone will out put it as if it were a camera with 12mp. only reason i know is cause i have the memoir and it has 8mp and it looks just as good as my camera when you up load them to the computer. i have posted pics with my phone and know body could tell.

but hey we all have are likes and dislikes. plus like you were saying about the intergrating of the 720p i have no clue how or what to do. just want to say i have it. lol cause i read up on it and not sure if when i record if it will play back in 720p if i download to comp or do i need a program to format it or something.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #14
shevyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Glad it was finally released. I got to play around with one of these a few weeks before christmas. Being anti AT&T, it's either this or the droid.
from what i have seen and heard i would go with the droid. which really isnt a phone thats the new internet format or whatever. dont know how to explain but instead of it being for example the g1 is google, well the droid is another google on steroids.

info i got off a few sales rep when we were talking about internet and programs and i asked what is the hype about the droid program