Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-08-2014, 12:24 AM   #1
ChevyAV03

Drives: 03 Z71 AV PM; 14 Convert 2ss/rs AGM
Friendly reminder for those that don't change your own oil...

So got my oil changed under the 2 year or 24k mile service and read my paperwork and noticed only 6 quart quantity. I thankfully have been paying attention to these forums (as a lurker) since I bought mine to learn as much as I can. Remember reading a few topics on this and I thought that it could happen but that had to be a rarity and the rarity occurred for me .

Well 6 quarts is fine for a V6 but our SS requires 8 which I reminded them and asked them to check, the tech happened to be walking by and went oh crap, he was going through the motions and followed the v6 recommendation instead of the v8 recommendation (-sarcasm- obviously looking under the hood was hard to tell the difference between 6 and 8), he promptly corrected the error by adding 2 more quarts.

So just please check your paperwork when getting your oil changed at the dealer to ensure you get the correct amount in your vehicle. Of course you should always check the work after. Even your favorite mechanic (or yourself) can have a brain fart (senior moment) when in a hurry or have done it so many times.

Although, if this dealership does this to me again I will be finding a different one as I will be questioning their ability to do anything important in the future on my vehicle, but that won't be until next year.

Again this is just a reminder to look at your paper work and check the work to the best of your ability. I know that not everyone is a mechanic here including myself but we should ensure our cars are treated the best we can.

And sorry after typing all that I can't help myself "... and knowing is half the battle - G.I.Joe"
ChevyAV03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:06 AM   #2
Mando2776

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Thats why I do my own Oil Changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyAV03 View Post
So got my oil changed under the 2 year or 24k mile service and read my paperwork and noticed only 6 quart quantity. I thankfully have been paying attention to these forums (as a lurker) since I bought mine to learn as much as I can. Remember reading a few topics on this and I thought that it could happen but that had to be a rarity and the rarity occurred for me .

Well 6 quarts is fine for a V6 but our SS requires 8 which I reminded them and asked them to check, the tech happened to be walking by and went oh crap, he was going through the motions and followed the v6 recommendation instead of the v8 recommendation (-sarcasm- obviously looking under the hood was hard to tell the difference between 6 and 8), he promptly corrected the error by adding 2 more quarts.

So just please check your paperwork when getting your oil changed at the dealer to ensure you get the correct amount in your vehicle. Of course you should always check the work after. Even your favorite mechanic (or yourself) can have a brain fart (senior moment) when in a hurry or have done it so many times.

Although, if this dealership does this to me again I will be finding a different one as I will be questioning their ability to do anything important in the future on my vehicle, but that won't be until next year.

Again this is just a reminder to look at your paper work and check the work to the best of your ability. I know that not everyone is a mechanic here including myself but we should ensure our cars are treated the best we can.

And sorry after typing all that I can't help myself "... and knowing is half the battle - G.I.Joe"
Mando2776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:39 AM   #3
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
This good advice, OP, as there have been multiple stories of the 6 quart V8 oil fill from dealers. If a particular dealership does not service a lot of Camaros, an inexperienced tech could overlook the fact that a V8 takes 2 more quarts than a V6. Always check your receipt and don't hesitate to mention it to the person checking you in at the door (before they drive your car into the shop).

I have lifetime rotate and balance on my truck tires through Goodyear. Though they do a fine job of that when I go in for lube/oil/filter, I discovered some time ago that the spare was grossly under-inflated. Fortunately, when I had a flat, there was enough air in it to get me to the shop. Ever since then I tell them "don't forget to check the spare" and they write it on the service request sheet at check-in. No problems since.

It's your vehicle and you shouldn't hesitate to make sure they know exactly what to do.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyAV03 View Post

This. Took mine in Saturday to nearby Cadillac,Buick, GMC dealer who afforded me the Cadillac/GM 2year maintenance plan. The guys in the Service Dept. REALLY like my baby. Checked paperwork before leaving and they showed replacing 8 quarts and filter. Going one step further, I checked the tire pressure via my OnStar app and they had filled the tires as well! I was extremely pleased with the service and I will continue to go there as the Chevy dealers in/around Chicago aren't as accommodating or thorough.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
ninety6
2xSOM

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS | 2002 Camaro V6 vrt
any time oil is changed, by individual or by dealership -- they should be running the engine for a minute, and checking the oil level with the dipstick when the job is done. This makes sure these mistakes don't happen too. Even when you know its right, you check it anyway.
ninety6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
I always check mine when I get home from the dealer and no problems so far... These guys love my car when I bring it in and treat it accordingly from what i have seen. But it never hurts to check so I do......
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
The Blue Angel

Drives: 2014 BRM 1SS/RS
I had an oil change done on a Friday several months ago. Afterwards i went home. My Camaro was in the driveway for the weekend. So Monday morning got in my Camaro to take my nephew to school. As I backed out I noticed a "wet" looking spot on the driveway. i thought it was a water spot and drove away. Upon arrival back at home I checked that spot. HOLY CRAP!! It is fresh oil!!! So I went back to the dealership to let them know of what happened. My service tech told me it was the oil filter. It wasn't on correctly. They ended up putting on a new one and topping off the oil. As for the driveway. It is paver bricks in which got replaced with new ones.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
I don't think the six cylinders get mobil 1 either..you might want to see what they used if they were giving it the v6 treatment
Old 12-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
And the V6 overfill issue as another story!!
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by songsj View Post
And the V6 overfill issue as another story!!
Yes... the other side of the coin. Bottom line - ALWAYS check for yourself!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
It's amazing how you have to watch these guys. My dealer changed the diff oil without adding the friction modifier. I reviewed the receipt before driving away, and had the problem corrected.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Why would I care whats printed on the receipt....opening the hood and checking before you leave tells the tale perfectly.....the receipt could say 8 and they only put in 6....or maybe they didn't fill it at all. Relying on the receipt is horrible advice.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #13
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
Why would I care whats printed on the receipt....opening the hood and checking before you leave tells the tale perfectly.....the receipt could say 8 and they only put in 6....or maybe they didn't fill it at all. Relying on the receipt is horrible advice.
Not if you have warranty issues and you need to prove the dealer put in 8 quarts of oil......
Old 12-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #14
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebernard View Post
This. Took mine in Saturday to nearby Cadillac,Buick, GMC dealer who afforded me the Cadillac/GM 2year maintenance plan. The guys in the Service Dept. REALLY like my baby. Checked paperwork before leaving and they showed replacing 8 quarts and filter. Going one step further, I checked the tire pressure via my OnStar app and they had filled the tires as well! I was extremely pleased with the service and I will continue to go there as the Chevy dealers in/around Chicago aren't as accommodating or thorough.
Checked the paperwork !!!
I won't even budder to check that piece a paper
I would just pop the hood , pull the oil stick. ,clean it up , push it all the way down into the bottom off that engine , then,,,, well , you'll know it by now !
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote