Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
Known LLT timing chain issue

So awhile back (10,000 miles or so) my 1LT started preforming very poorly; very sluggish, almost no torque. I didn't get a CEL at that time but when I took it into the dealer they said that they just needed to do a update to the ECU and everything was fine when I drove away.

Now to the present (58,000 miles): My car started doing the same thing except this time I did have CEL and the equipment necessary to check the code. Two codes showed up - P0008 and P0009 which translated to:

P0008 Engine Positions System Performance Bank 1
P0009 Engine Position System Performance Bank 2

Note that once I cleared the code, the car behaved normally again.

A little research led me to multiple forums including Cadillac CTX forums where owners where discussing a known issue with the LLT engine where there is premature stretching of the timing chains and in some cases the chains broke and wrecked the engine. Apparently the ECU update was nothing more than changing the sensitivity of the monitoring of the engine....didn't fix anything, just made it ignore minor variances.

I immediately called my dealer and made and appointment to take in the car and guess what; they are replacing the timing chains as I write this and I will hopefully get the care back tomorrow. And it is all under warranty which is great because some estimate it is about a $2500.00 job.
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Definitely a known issue concerning the LLT and possibly even the LFX engines...although at some point during the 2011 models they starting using a stronger chain.

So this is no suprise, but still sucks none the less and is a real concern of mine because by the time my car has enough miles to show a chain issue my warranty will likely be long gone.

The only advice I've seen thus far is to keep the car's oil level good and check it frequently to help mitigate this issue.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
jm251

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT RS A6
This does suck although I heard that this issue was specific to a batch of motors that were made in Mexico but that could just be a myth that was thrown around so don't quote me on it. For what it's worth I looked at my door sticker and my motor came out of Canada. Wish I could have the dealer replace the damn thing now if this applies to the LLT across the board, before I do more mods and ultimately void the warranty. But I've only got 2 yrs left on it and 28k so this issue isn't likely to to come up before it expires anyway. Congrats on getting yours fixed!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Mine were replaced a few weeks ago. I posted this thread on it. Mine was also under warranty, and the cost would have been in that 2k - 2.5k range as you said.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225505

Old 06-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
jm251

Mind if I ask how many miles when the chain was replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangore View Post
Mine were replaced a few weeks ago. I posted this thread on it. Mine was also under warranty, and the cost would have been in that 2k - 2.5k range as you said.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225505

Old 06-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
I want to add......do NOT run syn blend DEXO Ignore the dealer/owners manual andS!!!!! ONLY run full syn to avoid this.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
blackTT600

Drives: 2011 2LT M6 SC
Only Mobile 1 full syn in my LLT!!
blackTT600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Me too, 34,000 and no problems. Mobil one only
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
My wife's 2009 Acadia, with the LLT engine, had the timing chains replace TWICE in 80,000 miles! Some dealerships have guys that do nothing but replace timing chains all day long...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
jm251

Interesting tip about the oil. I remember putting the car through it's paces to seal the gaskets, etc. and then going to Amsoil Signature series full synth at 650 miles. Since then I've switched between that and Mobil 1. Interesting to know what oil was being used in the cars with timing chain problems.. now i've got 28k on her and running strong
Old 06-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
I have over 115,000 miles and run synthetic oil. Now if Mace would cut me a deal on some cams so that I may do some dyno runs
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchambless View Post
So awhile back (10,000 miles or so) my 1LT started preforming very poorly; very sluggish, almost no torque. I didn't get a CEL at that time but when I took it into the dealer they said that they just needed to do a update to the ECU and everything was fine when I drove away.

Now to the present (58,000 miles): My car started doing the same thing except this time I did have CEL and the equipment necessary to check the code. Two codes showed up - P0008 and P0009 which translated to:

P0008 Engine Positions System Performance Bank 1
P0009 Engine Position System Performance Bank 2

Note that once I cleared the code, the car behaved normally again.

A little research led me to multiple forums including Cadillac CTX forums where owners where discussing a known issue with the LLT engine where there is premature stretching of the timing chains and in some cases the chains broke and wrecked the engine. Apparently the ECU update was nothing more than changing the sensitivity of the monitoring of the engine....didn't fix anything, just made it ignore minor variances.

I immediately called my dealer and made and appointment to take in the car and guess what; they are replacing the timing chains as I write this and I will hopefully get the care back tomorrow. And it is all under warranty which is great because some estimate it is about a $2500.00 job.

Yeh..I heard of this issue. Some damaged there engines already on this site. The problem I am hearing is the chain was redesigned when they put the 3.6 in the caddy. The chain links were made smaller because they were more quiet and for the caddy thats what you want, but down the road they found the smaller chain was really not tuff enuff and would stretch. The design was already in place so the whole design wasl already slated for the camaro and other cars. GM probably found it more cost effective to just replace under warranty as needed instead of redesigning back to the old chain, sprockets gears etc. My question to you is are they just replacing the chain with the same or are they going with different new improved one. I heard rumors that the chain has somehow been strengthened but dont know if its any truth to it.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
I use Pennzoil full synthetic in mine...gotta be cautious from now on, I guess.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
I read that the later LLT has different chains.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote