Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2013 Camaro5 Fest (IV)

Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #337
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_LHD3 View Post
One year of it being in the same place isn't bad if it allows the organizers a chance to fine tune the event. Specially considering the event getting larger each year!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #338
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
I've had people that are "in the circle" that have told me that money was a main priority.

Florida already has a yearly event. But I'm pretty sure an event in Sputh Georgia is being made for those who can't make it to Fest.
Yes I'm quite sure that it is the main priority but it's not about maximizing profit but maximizing efficiency.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #339
radametz

Drives: 2013 CRT 2SS/1LE; 2016 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkeeling View Post
It could be divided amongst the mods per the corners as they would know their area the best. Its called divide and conquer.
While I see what you're getting at, I think C5 just simply doesn't have the manpower to do that. I don't know exactly how many mods are on this site, but if we were to divide them up into 4 groups, then you'd have, what? Roughly 4-5 mods per Fest? Just by browsing the forum I've seen how much work goes into organizing one of these Fests and to split up the mods like that would result in a below-average Fest.

While I completely agree that having 4 Fests would make everyone happy, I think it's a logistical nightmare. Not to mention sponsors getting to all 4 Fests.

Just my $0.02
Old 11-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #340
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1sniper3x View Post
While I see what you're getting at, I think C5 just simply doesn't have the manpower to do that. I don't know exactly how many mods are on this site, but if we were to divide them up into 4 groups, then you'd have, what? Roughly 4-5 mods per Fest? Just by browsing the forum I've seen how much work goes into organizing one of these Fests and to split up the mods like that would result in a below-average Fest.

While I completely agree that having 4 Fests would make everyone happy, I think it's a logistical nightmare. Not to mention sponsors getting to all 4 Fests.

Just my $0.02
ding,ding,ding...we have a winner!!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #341
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I can honestly say that I don't envy the mods at all because the burden of negotiating and securing a different location every year for an event projected to have over 1,000 guests is just absurd. And yet they do it and smile about it, and they refrain from lashing out when people bust their balls every other post.

Am I disappointed that it's back in Indy? Sure.

Am I going to rant and rave and cry like a little girl? No.

The fact is, the turn around from Fest 3 to Fest 4 planning was incredibly short, so the mods were backed into a corner to start with. Trying to do all the negotiating for a location in such a short time period severely limited the bargaining power. And Indianapolis easily shot to the top of the list because so many of the agreements are still fresh and easy to re-apply and didn't require endless debates on the specifics.

I don't fault the Camaro5 staff at all for making the decision they did, given the constraints they faced.

That being said, I think some things need to be changed with how the decision is made.

First off, I think the event needs to be held on the same weekend every year. I know this is problematic where weather in different host cities is concerned, but trying to have one year's event in the fall and then the following year's event in the spring to accomodate the local weather creates more scheduling headaches than necessary. Remember all the folks complaining that they needed to know a date so they could request the time off? This would completely eliminate that hassle, and make it easier for people to plan ahead of time regardless of where the event is. Besides, once this "thing" gains popularity, being able to tell people, "first weekend in August," or, "third weekend in April," should help introduce an air of event recognition.

Secondly, and I know this will take some time, but I think 4 locations should be determined and used on a rotation:

Northeast (Indy or maybe Ohio)
Northwest (any tracks in the Utah/Idaho area?)
Southeast (Alabama or Valdosta, GA)
Southwest (Firebird or similar)

While I wouldn't mind there being an event in Texas, the tracks here just don't have what Camaro5 needs. Sure, we could have it in Houston, but I want to visit someplace that has stuff to do. Don't get offended Houstonites, but what fun stuff is there to do in and around the Houston track and hotels?

Maybe if the F1 track in Austin gets a quarter-mile strip installed, it could be viable, but I would gues that track's going to be one crazy expensive venue, kind of like Las Vegas...

And thirdly, it should not rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise. Every means possible should be used to prevent half the country from missing out for two years in a row.

Northeast -> Southwest -> Southeast -> Northwest

You're seeing that happen right now. Many people get rubbed the wrong way when the event is held too far from them for two years in a row. You can call 'em whiny babies all you want, but don't think for a second that you wouldn't have the exact same complaints if you were in their shoes. I've always tried to reassure people that just because it's not close this year doesn't mean it won't be close next year. But having it in Indy two years in a row makes it real hard to sell that message.

I know the Camaro5 staff will improve and streamline the activities and events of Fest 4 a great deal over the last Fest, but you're sacrificing a lot of good will amongst the devoted members for the sake of optimization.

The biggest reason the majority of Camaro5 members attend the Fest is for the people, not because it's some "perfect event" where every car that wants to race can get umpteen runs in per day. Don't forget what the top priority is for this thing: people interacting with people that you wouldn't normally get to kick back with. The streamlined event will come with time, there's no need to rush it. Besides, the folks who only show up to events to get as many runs in as possible on the AutoX or the drag strip aren't really the people that the Fest is, or should be, catered to.

I hope this doesn't come off as some kind of rant or tirade. And if it does, I apologize. The Camaro5 Staff are a uniquely awesome group of people that manage to pull off some pretty amazing things, all in their spare time to boot. I just wanted to gather my thoughts and try to put them all into what I hope is seen purely as constructive criticism.

I know most folks won't read this whole thing and just gloss past it thinking it's just some Texas guy whining again. But for those of you who do, I truly appreciate your time. Thanks!

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #342
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
The sheer amount of fail in this thread is unreal. If you can't go just go to something else. Plenty of great stuff going on all over the country in 2013. Pick something else to attend closer to you and have fun. Then see if a CF5 comes near you.

IBTL???

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #343
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
OK - tried to post this earlier and got knocked out of AOL at airport.....so let's try it again.

I have not read every post - but I'm appalled at some of what I see being posted here.

A couple of things:

1. No matter what location's chosen - some are going to be unhappy.

2. The moderators and volunteers don't make money on this. Anyone who has ever run a Camaro show should know this. further, the amount of time invested for something of this magnitude (the LARGEST camaro show BY FAR) is staggering.

3. There are not an overabundance of locations with everything needed to hold something like Camaro5fest - remember: you need a 1/4 mile track and lots of parking lot - has to be centrally located near an interstate - needs to have a hotel area whereby a couple of thousand people can check in -

4. Many tracks are booked a year in advance. And many tracks have a policy of "NO!!!!" - meaning - "they are not easy to deal with" (TRUST ME on this one.....)

5. Just because it's at Indy this year does not mean it won't be somewhere else next year. I see people complaining that it's not on the West Coast (was there two years ago) - I see people complaining that it's not on the east coast (it was there three years ago) Here's a thought: We build Camaros for many reasons - but one of them is the sheer joy of driving! I understand that budgets may be an issue for a few- - but not for everyone and besides - it may be one of the best road trips you've ever made. GET IN - BUCKLE UP - AND HEAD FOR INDY! (you will not regret it)

It's OK to comment - but when people start insinuating that people are getting kickbacks and making tons of money - then in my opinion, you're out of line.

Let's remember: This is a Camaro site. The name Camaro means 'Friend- pal - comrade' - -let's remain friends.

Now - from me to the Mods and Volunteers: THANK YOU for the thousands of hours you've put into these Fests over the past three years and into next year - I think you've done a GREAT job - especially when the size and scope of the show is taken into consideration. YOU HAVE MY COMMITTMENT THAT WE'LL BE THERE!

And lastly: For those who like to complain: How 'bout VOLUNTEERING to help out?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #344
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth V8R View Post
I think a massive west coast cruise up the PCH at the beginning of August just got very attractive looking...

Have fun.....
Old 11-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #345
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I can honestly say that I don't envy the mods at all because the burden of negotiating and securing a different location every year for an event projected to have over 1,000 guests is just absurd. And yet they do it and smile about it, and they refrain from lashing out when people bust their balls every other post.

Am I disappointed that it's back in Indy? Sure.

Am I going to rant and rave and cry like a little girl? No.

The fact is, the turn around from Fest 3 to Fest 4 planning was incredibly short, so the mods were backed into a corner to start with. Trying to do all the negotiating for a location in such a short time period severely limited the bargaining power. And Indianapolis easily shot to the top of the list because so many of the agreements are still fresh and easy to re-apply and didn't require endless debates on the specifics.

I don't fault the Camaro5 staff at all for making the decision they did, given the constraints they faced.

That being said, I think some things need to be changed with how the decision is made.

First off, I think the event needs to be held on the same weekend every year. I know this is problematic where weather in different host cities is concerned, but trying to have one year's event in the fall and then the following year's event in the spring to accomodate the local weather creates more scheduling headaches than necessary. Remember all the folks complaining that they needed to know a date so they could request the time off? This would completely eliminate that hassle, and make it easier for people to plan ahead of time regardless of where the event is. Besides, once this "thing" gains popularity, being able to tell people, "first weekend in August," or, "third weekend in April," should help introduce an air of event recognition.

Secondly, and I know this will take some time, but I think 4 locations should be determined and used on a rotation:

Northeast (Indy or maybe Ohio)
Northwest (any tracks in the Utah/Idaho area?)
Southeast (Alabama or Valdosta, GA)
Southwest (Firebird or similar)

While I wouldn't mind there being an event in Texas, the tracks here just don't have what Camaro5 needs. Sure, we could have it in Houston, but I want to visit someplace that has stuff to do. Don't get offended Houstonites, but what fun stuff is there to do in and around the Houston track and hotels?

Maybe if the F1 track in Austin gets a quarter-mile strip installed, it could be viable, but I would gues that track's going to be one crazy expensive venue, kind of like Las Vegas...

And thirdly, it should not rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise. Every means possible should be used to prevent half the country from missing out for two years in a row.

Northeast -> Southwest -> Southeast -> Northwest

You're seeing that happen right now. Many people get rubbed the wrong way when the event is held too far from them for two years in a row. You can call 'em whiny babies all you want, but don't think for a second that you wouldn't have the exact same complaints if you were in their shoes. I've always tried to reassure people that just because it's not close this year doesn't mean it won't be close next year. But having it in Indy two years in a row makes it real hard to sell that message.

I know the Camaro5 staff will improve and streamline the activities and events of Fest 4 a great deal over the last Fest, but you're sacrificing a lot of good will amongst the devoted members for the sake of optimization.

The biggest reason the majority of Camaro5 members attend the Fest is for the people, not because it's some "perfect event" where every car that wants to race can get umpteen runs in per day. Don't forget what the top priority is for this thing: people interacting with people that you wouldn't normally get to kick back with. The streamlined event will come with time, there's no need to rush it. Besides, the folks who only show up to events to get as many runs in as possible on the AutoX or the drag strip aren't really the people that the Fest is, or should be, catered to.

I hope this doesn't come off as some kind of rant or tirade. And if it does, I apologize. The Camaro5 Staff are a uniquely awesome group of people that manage to pull off some pretty amazing things, all in their spare time to boot. I just wanted to gather my thoughts and try to put them all into what I hope is seen purely as constructive criticism.

I know most folks won't read this whole thing and just gloss past it thinking it's just some Texas guy whining again. But for those of you who do, I truly appreciate your time. Thanks!
I read the whole thing too. I vote we make Skooter part of the organization team.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #346
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
I've had people that are "in the circle" that have told me that money was a main priority.
Name them or don't post.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #347
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
-- someone mentioned that it needs to be the same weekend every year.

that would be great - but Camaro5 is at the mercy of the track chosen........
Old 11-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #348
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
OK - tried to post this earlier and got knocked out of AOL at airport.....so let's try it again.

I have not read every post - but I'm appalled at some of what I see being posted here.

A couple of things:

2. The moderators and volunteers don't make money on this. Anyone who has ever run a Camaro show should know this. further, the amount of time invested for something of this magnitude (the LARGEST camaro show BY FAR) is staggering.

3. There are not an overabundance of locations with everything needed to hold something like Camaro5fest - remember: you need a 1/4 mile track and lots of parking lot - has to be centrally located near an interstate - needs to have a hotel area whereby a couple of thousand people can check in -

4. Many tracks are booked a year in advance. And many tracks have a policy of "NO!!!!" - meaning - "they are not easy to deal with" (TRUST ME on this one.....)

5. Just because it's at Indy this year does not mean it won't be somewhere else next year. I see people complaining that it's not on the West Coast (was there two years ago) - I see people complaining that it's not on the east coast (it was there three years ago) Here's a thought: We build Camaros for many reasons - but one of them is the sheer joy of driving! I understand that budgets may be an issue for a few- - but not for everyone and besides - it may be one of the best road trips you've ever made. GET IN - BUCKLE UP - AND HEAD FOR INDY! (you will not regret it)

It's OK to comment - but when people start insinuating that people are getting kickbacks and making tons of money - then in my opinion, you're out of line.

Let's remember: This is a Camaro site. The name Camaro means 'Friend- pal - comrade' - -let's remain friends.

Now - from me to the Mods and Volunteers: THANK YOU for the thousands of hours you've put into these Fests over the past three years and into next year - I think you've done a GREAT job - especially when the size and scope of the show is taken into consideration. YOU HAVE MY COMMITTMENT THAT WE'LL BE THERE!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #349
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
Quote:
Haven't said one word of complaints. But I will however volunteer to assist whereever the Mods need me. I will be there for the entire event.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #350
JusticePete

Quote:

A couple of things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizlstik View Post
Haven't said one word of complaints. But I will however volunteer to assist whereever the Mods need me. I will be there for the entire event.