Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-02-2018, 09:17 PM   #1
0-120

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS LS3
Followed Due to Road Rage

Was going out to eat one evening and a 90's pickup truck began following me right on my tail. I was in the right lane passing by the Sheriff's office so didn't want to handle it the traditional way. Anyway, I thought he would just pass on but he proceeded to shoot a bird as we approached a red light. I was turning and the fellow was still in the right lane. I make several more turns and look back only to find him racing up behind me. I am nearly at the restaurant at this point, it is the next turn off, but I decide to not let him know that it is my destination. I continue down the road, he is still hot on my tail, and we get to a stop sign. I pause for a minute at the stop sign to see what he would do. He GOT OUT of his vehicle, I gave him a second to fully exit, then made the traditional getaway. He never stood a chance at that point! Call me a coward, but I was not armed and was just planning on an uneventful evening. I ended up returning home to change vehicles then went back to the restaurant. I did not see him there again, but still- unnerving. I suppose this guy could have been under the influence of drug(s), but I have never been pursued like that and am glad I was in the appropriate car for the job!

Hope we don't cross paths again nonetheless...
Old 06-02-2018, 09:26 PM   #2
anth331

Drives: 12SS
You did right I live about 40 miles from Santa Fe and you don’t know what their agenda might be
anth331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #3
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Sometimes crazy crap happens, best to avoid issues like that not trusting the other person.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:29 PM   #4
jrpimp00

Drives: '10 Black/IOM Camaro SS/RS
whats the rest of the story?
Old 06-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #5
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
That is unnerving .. did you accidently cut him off or did he just think you did something that pissed him off? Regardless, glad you got out of there, never know what his intentions were.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:07 PM   #6
Levans85

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
You have a cell phone yes? Why not call the cops?
Levans85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:26 PM   #7
BLK141SS

Drives: 2014 1SS M6 NPP
You did the right thing and you are NOT a coward for avoiding unnecessary conflict. That was a very smart thing to do. I have a carry permit in Texas and always have my sidearm with me, unless I'm carrying one of my long guns that is, which don't require a permit in Texas. I have a long commute from Watauga through very congested highways to Dallas. I see road rage on a daily basis with all the bumper to bumper traffic jams we have here. I've had a few incidents where the road ragers directed their rage at me, as I'm a lawful gun owner I just ignored them, I smiled and kept on going to avoid conflict. That said, If I lived in a state that allowed the carrying of a weapon then I would have it on me at all times and practice using it. Sadly, times have changed and you should be prepared to defend yourself. And to any road ragers, be very careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

I have an Alien Gear holster mount in my Cobalt DD. They also make a strap version that doesn't require drilling holes.

And sometimes I have my little friend with me.
BLK141SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:32 PM   #8
0-120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
That is unnerving .. did you accidently cut him off or did he just think you did something that pissed him off? Regardless, glad you got out of there, never know what his intentions were.
Did not cut him off. I did change into the right lane to pass slower traffic (some people don't understand passing lanes are on the left) and got some noise from the V1 due to passing sheriff office on the right. I ensured I was doing the speed limit (or within 2mph of it) going by which could have upset him. Still was passing the slower traffic in the left lane, and tried to get out of his way asap.

He couldn't have been in a rush to get somewhere because he followed me. He had the chance to pass me via right lane earlier. Maybe he doesn't like The Beach Boys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levans85 View Post
You have a cell phone yes? Why not call the cops?
Yes, but as I said I wanted an uneventful evening, so I didn't involve them. I was late enough to dinner having to go back to change vehicles.

That's the whole story, not sure why he did what he did. Normal driving until the getaway was needed!
Old 06-02-2018, 10:37 PM   #9
0-120

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK141SS View Post
You did the right thing and you are NOT a coward for avoiding unnecessary conflict. That was a very smart thing to do. I have a carry permit in Texas and always have my sidearm with me, unless I'm carrying one of my long guns that is, which don't require a permit in Texas. I have a long commute from Watauga through very congested highways to Dallas. I see road rage on a daily basis with all the bumper to bumper traffic jams we have here. I've had a few incidents where the road ragers directed their rage at me, as I'm a lawful gun owner I just ignored them, I smiled and kept on going to avoid conflict. That said, If I lived in a state that allowed the carrying of a weapon then I would have it on me at all times and practice using it. Sadly, times have changed and you should be prepared to defend yourself. And to any road ragers, be very careful what you ask for, you just might get it.
Yes, I have been considering training with a sidearm for instances like this and just general protection. I may run into a situation where conflict isn't as easily avoided.

Glad we have the rights we do.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:49 PM   #10
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Did you happen to flip him off as well? maybe that's why he was enraged?
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #11
0-120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis66 View Post
Did you happen to flip him off as well? maybe that's why he was enraged?
No but I considered it.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:15 PM   #12
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
People don't just start tailgating and are so mad they jump out of their at the first opportunity to confront you. What did you do? ��
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:25 PM   #13
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
People don't just start tailgating and are so mad they jump out of their at the first opportunity to confront you. What did you do? ��
I beg to differ. That may have been the case 20+ years ago but the world (country) is a very different place now. People DO just do insane things for no apparent reason. Or some abstract reason that only exists in their head. Pretty much daily.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:26 PM   #14
0-120

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
People don't just start tailgating and are so mad they jump out of their at the first opportunity to confront you.
Wish I had a video. Although recording it wasn't my first priority at that time, and I had no reason to think about doing anything until he began following me.