Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #309
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
The ZL1 is going to be an awesome car. I commend FORD for upping the game with the 650HP GT500. Their pushing the limit will also push Chevy and in the end we, the consumers, will be the ultimate winners. I did not buy my ZL1 to be the fastest car to ever hit the street. I do enjoy going fast as much as the next guy. But it is all about the ride and enjoying the car and the sensations that you get when you power on to an on ramp or through a twisting road. Change and Death are the only two things that are guaranteed in life. I am going to enjoy my ZL1 and I am not going to wait for a bigger and badder version to arrive. There will be faster cars, there will ALWAYS be faster cars. Life is too short and unexpected. Enjoy it now in whatever car you choose to be in, but enjoy it. A great commercial once said: When you turn your car on, does it return the favor? My ZL1 will do that for me every day. And if a faster car goes by me, then I will know that he is having a good time too.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #310
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
The ZL1 is going to be an awesome car. I commend FORD for upping the game with the 650HP GT500. Their pushing the limit will also push Chevy and in the end we, the consumers, will be the ultimate winners. I did not buy my ZL1 to be the fastest car to ever hit the street. I do enjoy going fast as much as the next guy. But it is all about the ride and enjoying the car and the sensations that you get when you power on to an on ramp or through a twisting road. Change and Death are the only two things that are guaranteed in life. I am going to enjoy my ZL1 and I am not going to wait for a bigger and badder version to arrive. There will be faster cars, there will ALWAYS be faster cars. Life is too short and unexpected. Enjoy it now in whatever car you choose to be in, but enjoy it. A great commercial once said: When you turn your car on, does it return the favor? My ZL1 will do that for me every day. And if a faster car goes by me, then I will know that he is having a good time too.
Well said!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #311
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
My question is, Did GM know about this car? Or have a slight inclination of what Ford had up their sleeves?

A) If they did then what was GMs logic behind not upping the power or dropping the weight to acheive a better power to weight ratio? Aii) maybe they did and felt they have nothing to fear and we are missing something. (which would rock!)

B) If they didnt, then what? whats the next approach? track pack, revised car in 2013?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #312
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:

I'm with Ya, but I did want bragging rights over the GT500 for at least the first year. That's just being honest.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #313
Uneducated Guess
'12 ZL1 #742

Drives: his wife crazy
Quote:
the best write up I've read so far.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #314
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Seems like this should be in the VS's section....

Old 11-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #315
svttim

Drives: 2008 GT500
I think the fact is, Ford can react quicker than GM can. I thought I read somewhere a GM exec said he was amazed at how fast they got the ZL1 done. Corperate red tape kills the enthusiast. Then yo have the Government red tape that comes with the bail out. Relax, not critisizing but you know OB would have you all driving Volts.

At some point though, when does this all come crashing down? Being a Ford guy, I am torn between a new Boss 302 and the new GT500, and there is a whole lot of HP difference between those two. I hated the new Camaro when it came out but, it has grown on me quite a bit. Im sure the ZL1 will be a great car in the hands of a capable driverand if Chevy is you passion, go for it! If we allliked the same thing, it would be a boring world.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #316
toilets

Quote:

Dont forget Taxes and the SEC winning championships!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #317
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasKL View Post
I'm not sure which interior looks cheaper is quite a "fact".
Dude c'mon GT500 doesn't even have heated seats or a power passenger seat, or lighted vanity mirrors...those type of features lend a little bit more towards the "luxury" side IMHO. For a $60k car (which will undoubtedly be closer to the actual price of the 2013 GT500) that's obsurd
Old 11-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #318
Uneducated Guess
'12 ZL1 #742

Drives: his wife crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by svttim View Post
I think the fact is, Ford can react quicker than GM can.
I think it's more about quality than quantity with GM. IMO
Old 11-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #319
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by toilets View Post
Dont forget Taxes and the SEC winning championships!!!
There are too many really rich people that do not pay any taxes. That is why it is not guaranteed. The ACC will get their act together in the near future. Go CANES!
Old 11-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #320
toilets

[QUOTE=OldJedi;4020959]There are too many really rich people that do not pay any taxes. That is why it is not guaranteed. The ACC will get their act together in the near future. Go CANES![/QUOTE]

Atleast you are in the right state!
Old 11-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #321
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
The GT 500 is still uglier then shit. This is what I thought would happen. That's why I didn't want to part with 58k until Ford played it's cards. Torque on the GT 500 is 600 lbs., ZL1's is 586 lbs. This is more important then the H.P. numbers. We'll have to see how this plays out in heads-up competition. I might have to wait a year till GM ups the H.P. to 700 or 750 to tame this snake!
Both cars are awesome and either is going to induce perm-grin for their owners. As I said in another thread, Camaro fans are sounding a lot like Cubs fans lately; " Wait until next year!"

Go buy the ZL1 because you want a ZL1, not because it does or does not have better performance than some other car.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #322
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uneducated Guess View Post
I think it's more about quality than quantity with GM. IMO
And this just might be true. It is un-heard of that a Camaro would come out with a new generation of anything before the Caddy or Corvette would for example new gen MRC. GM could have dropped in a LS9 and gone mediocore with the suspension.

Closed Thread