Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-18-2018, 08:16 PM   #1
Matt8892(2)

Drives: Black camaro 2ss 45th
SS M6 diff breather hose forgot to connect

So I just swapped over my new 1le differential and it got dark and I began to rush. Got to the point where I just need to put wheels and exhaust back on.

Anyways, I’m showering off all the driveway dirt and it hit me, I forgot to connect the breather hose. Please tell me I can get to that and connect it without lowering or unboltinf the differntial. This has been an exhausting project to tackle solo. Would highly recommend a helper for anyone doing this install.
Matt8892(2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #2
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Doesn't the 1LE diff have ports to connect it to the transmixer to cool the fluid in the rear-end? Your SS transmission will not have those ports. Cap them off.

If it is only the breather you forgot to connect the hose to, well it may spit a bit of fluid along with the air over the differential cover. While the EPA may have a fit, all it really means to you is that you might have some mess. of some diff fluid running down the backside of the differential.
If anyone else ever notices it just give them a wink and a nod.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
Matt8892(2)

Nah, 1le differential is the same as the standard ss diff. Only difference are the gears inside. So no worries there. And the hose that connects to the nipple of the breather still vents outside, even when it is connected. I’m more concerned about moisture entering the diff or if that’s a concern
Old 07-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt8892(2) View Post
Nah, 1le differential is the same as the standard ss diff. Only difference are the gears inside. So no worries there. And the hose that connects to the nipple of the breather still vents outside, even when it is connected. I’m more concerned about moisture entering the diff or if that’s a concern
what breather are you talking about? i had no clue differentials had breathers
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
Matt8892(2)

It’s a little brass.m nipple at the top rear of the diff. For anyone wondering or if anyone has this question anything n the future, you can access it while the diff is bolted in place. It’s tight, but doable
Old 07-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
what breather are you talking about? i had no clue differentials had breathers
Since the air inside expands or contracts as the temp goes up and down, there is a breather. The purpose of the hose is to get the breather opening well above ground to reduce the chance of flooding the differential, which would lead to a pretty quick demise.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote