Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #1
Bobfly
OspreyTech

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
2016 SS Axle Failure

My right axle failed yesterday. Car has 65,760 miles on it. I was driving in town, in 5th gear @40mph on a slight downhill incline and was trying to glance at my phone to see an address. Apparently I was slowing down inadvertently and a truck was running up on me. Went to 4th and couldn't speed up. Went to 3rd and nothing. I thought surely the clutch isn't slipping. Heard a metallic "tinkle" from the rear end and thought uh oh. Coasted into a lube joint and crawled underneath it and sure enough I could see a shiny puck? on the axle that was sitting behind the differential. The car wasn't abused and I hadn't done anything stressful to it beforehand. I felt nothing and heard nothing other then the tinkle which was the axle banging on the suspension. No oil leaked out of the differential. WTF?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I would have the dealer look at it and see if GM will goodwill the repair since it is just out of the 5yr / 60k powertrain warranty.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
So is this same failure you had?

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505147

A link on the 2nd page of the above thread links a page which references this TSB:

TSB # 16-NA-399

Subject: Information on Replacing Half Shaft Fasteners with Revised Parts

I've been wanting to have this looked at on mine.

Here is another very helpful diagram and instructions on what to check and torque specs https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505246

Last edited by KMPrenger; 07-19-2018 at 09:33 AM.
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #4
Bobfly
OspreyTech

After looking at pics of the axle on the Web I thought something wasn't adding up. Went to the dealership and snuck into the garage and spoke to the mechanic who was reassembling my car. The axle didn't break. The bolts fell out that connect is to the stub in the differential. Took pictures for my attorney. This dealership replaced the differential 2 years ago under warranty at 24k miles. Told me last night that the axle had broke. Pissed...
Old 07-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
Bobfly
OspreyTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
So is this same failure you had?

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505147

A link on the 2nd page of the above thread links a page which references this TSB:

TSB # 16-NA-399

Subject: Information on Replacing Half Shaft Fasteners with Revised Parts

I've been wanting to have this looked at on mine.

Here is another very helpful diagram and instructions on what to check and torque specs https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505246
That would be it.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Im just wondering how stuff like this fly's through GM quality control especially on a 455 Horse Power car...
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #7
Bobfly
OspreyTech

So the dealership is saying no dice on paying for it and GM customer service is using a lot of words like potentially under warranty and possibly get back to you. Guess my lawyer is going to make some money off me.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #8
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Well that sucks. So this sort of thing doesn't fall anywhere under powertrain?

I thought that basically meant the engine and any drivetrain component, with the axle clearly being one of those components.

EDIT: Oops, I see your mileage now. For some reason thought you was still within the drivetrain warranty parameters.

Last edited by KMPrenger; 07-19-2018 at 04:16 PM.
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #9
HackSaw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I think even though the car is past the 60k drive train warranty Gm should cover this as its a known problem and the dealer was the last to touch the bolts
HackSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:14 PM   #10
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackSaw View Post
... Gm should cover this as its a known problem and the dealer was the last to touch the bolts
GM would probably blame the dealer for not addressing the bolts TSB when they did the diff. If the TSB wasn't out back then, maybe but it's GM we're talking about here.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #11
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
You can get a lawyer all you want it will come down to a 65.000 mile car you are responsible for the care and maintenance. The Companies liability is over at 5/50.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #12
Bobfly
OspreyTech

GM is telling me that if the dealer calls it as a "power train caused issue", they might possibly potentially provide me with some repair assistance. Not too confident that GM cares about this issue or their customers. Otherwise this would be more then just a service bulletin. And the dealer told me they're under no requirement to track or comply with TSB's. Said that was my responsibility.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:28 PM   #13
Bobfly
OspreyTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
You can get a lawyer all you want it will come down to a 65.000 mile car you are responsible for the care and maintenance. The Companies liability is over at 5/50.

Show me where I'm supposed to check or re-torque axle bolts. Service is one thing. This is a known "factory defect". And I get it that my warranty has expired. But all 6 bolts fell out and I walked 1 mile of the street this happened on and didn't find a single bolt or retainer. And the dealer put those bolts in. The service manager accused me of having "gone in there" and performed my own maintenance because there were no shear marks from the bolts shearing off. I then showed her the pic from the other thread of all the bolts and retainers laying in the street. That kinda shocked her.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #14
Bobfly
OspreyTech

Also, the axle ripped the speed sensor harness out.