Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #15
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
This would be a simple correction if aftermarket companies would make an actual cat-back system and not always assume we're cool with breaking the law and removing the secondary cats.

there are zero options for replacing this stock resonator/x-pipe. Axle backs stop before they reach the resonator/x-pipe.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #16
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
This would be a simple correction if aftermarket companies would make an actual cat-back system and not always assume we're cool with breaking the law and removing the secondary cats.

there are zero options for replacing this stock resonator/x-pipe. Axle backs stop before they reach the resonator/x-pipe.
Just get the magnaflow resonated x-pipe and replace it with that.
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #17
cellsafemode

It may end up being that. Not sure what the shop stocks since I can't take it in until Thursday. It's just going to need some custom welded pipes to mate up with the stock secondary cats and my mrt axle back. They may end up creating their own x pipe from scratch. I imagine this will end up costing me way more than it should but I simply do not have time to learn how to weld in my apartment with this exhaust sounding like absolute rattle can garbage

I did buy a 120v mig welder to eventually be able to do this crap myself because it really isn't a lot of work and feels so bad having to pay someone else
Old 05-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #18
cellsafemode

got my stock x-pipe/resonator removed and replaced with a normal aftermarket x-pipe.

completely fixed the issue. It's amazing not sounding like a salvage yard saved ricer anymore. The last week and a half have been embarrassing. Thanks Chevy!

Judging by the number of forum posts, and even articles posted on review sites regarding this issue, it seems pretty clear that there is a quality control issue with this part that Chevy is using in exhaust systems. I think it's just been lost in the noise due to the issue they also had with the NPP valves.

in short. if you are driving around and hear some tin-can metal on metal sound coming from your exhaust. Dont waste time, just cut that stupid resonator out and replace with a normal x-pipe. Costs less than 200 bucks to have it done.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #19
Deesiel678

Drives: 2018 1LS 1LE
Quote:
got my stock x-pipe/resonator removed and replaced with a normal aftermarket x-pipe.

completely fixed the issue. It's amazing not sounding like a salvage yard saved ricer anymore. The last week and a half have been embarrassing. Thanks Chevy!

Judging by the number of forum posts, and even articles posted on review sites regarding this issue, it seems pretty clear that there is a quality control issue with this part that Chevy is using in exhaust systems. I think it's just been lost in the noise due to the issue they also had with the NPP valves.

in short. if you are driving around and hear some tin-can metal on metal sound coming from your exhaust. Dont waste time, just cut that stupid resonator out and replace with a normal x-pipe. Costs less than 200 bucks to have it done.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:34 PM   #20
JakeF_RS

Quote:

Did you get a resonated x-pipe or a non-resonated one?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:00 PM   #21
cellsafemode

Non resonated. I don't think I've seen a resonated aftermarket x pipe. It's raining today but at some point this weekend I'll get it back up on the ramps and take some pictures.

Edit:. Do you mean stamped or not?
Attached Images

Last edited by cellsafemode; 05-17-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:04 PM   #22
cellsafemode

Haven't had the chance to go wot yet, but the little bit of driving I have done has made it pretty clear that the exhaust note has gone up a bit. Which is expected when the velocity goes up. All good sounding though.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:04 PM   #23
JakeF_RS

Quote:
Haven't had the chance to go wot yet, but the little bit of driving I have done has made it pretty clear that the exhaust note has gone up a bit. Which is expected when the velocity goes up. All good sounding though.
That looks almost exactly like the x-pipe I have. As far as resonated I was referring to the Magnaflow unit that some people have been using. What do you think of the sound so far? Any drone or rasp?
Old 05-18-2019, 11:07 AM   #24
cellsafemode

No rasp. For which I would tear the exhaust off and buy a new one to remove it. Hate rasp, pops and crackles.

Drone has always been part of MRT exhausts. They dont drone at all when cruising ...thankfully, so actual distance driving and what not is perfectly fine but normal acceleration == nobody is talking in the car. You absolutely wont be able to hear them. I'm debating on a good replacement down the road (i got the MRT V1 for free), but I haven't settled on anything yet.

This new x-pipe makes drone a little worse because it's brought the tone of the exhaust up a bit so it's not as sub-audible and deep vibration-wise as it was, it's now more audible. But i've been meaning to dynomat strategically around the car to remove my plastic interior rattles I get just by playing music so i'll add some around the trunk area and see if it calms down. maybe even add more to the external exhaust shields like I did up by the cats. But it was a problem before, so nothing really new.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:02 PM   #25
JakeF_RS

Quote:
No rasp. For which I would tear the exhaust off and buy a new one to remove it. Hate rasp, pops and crackles.

Drone has always been part of MRT exhausts. They dont drone at all when cruising ...thankfully, so actual distance driving and what not is perfectly fine but normal acceleration == nobody is talking in the car. You absolutely wont be able to hear them. I'm debating on a good replacement down the road (i got the MRT V1 for free), but I haven't settled on anything yet.

This new x-pipe makes drone a little worse because it's brought the tone of the exhaust up a bit so it's not as sub-audible and deep vibration-wise as it was, it's now more audible. But i've been meaning to dynomat strategically around the car to remove my plastic interior rattles I get just by playing music so i'll add some around the trunk area and see if it calms down. maybe even add more to the external exhaust shields like I did up by the cats. But it was a problem before, so nothing really new.
I don't get too much drone with my MBRP setup, I don't suspect that will change all that much but it's great to hear that you aren't getting rasp with that setup.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:38 PM   #26
cellsafemode

Took it out on the highway. Yea, definitely no rasp. But I guess it has a lot to do with the specifics of the whole system. So no idea how it will play out with anything other than the mrt axle back.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:17 AM   #27
SEVENZEROTWO

Drives: 2K17 Camaro RS
Your rattling is most likely coming from the AFM valves that are places about 12" or less behind the resonator. Deleting those valves will solve your issue immediately. (you will get a better lower end rumble.)

I ended up deleting my resonator, the valves, and kept my Mangaflow mufflers. It's pretty loud now, and i love it.
SEVENZEROTWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #28
cellsafemode

I cut my afm valves off when installing my mrt exhaust a couple years ago. The metal on metal ting/rattle 100% was caused by the xpipe resonator.

Tags
exhaust, noise, npp, rattle