Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-10-2021, 07:55 AM   #1
MAC-7

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
Trunk Button Not Working

The trunk button on my driver side door no longer works. Is this an easy fix? The only way I can get into the trunk is the FOB which doesn't work when the car is on.
2011 2LT RS- CAI Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Trifecta Tune, VMax Ice-Olator, RX Plenum Spacer, VMax TB, RX catch can, AAC side markers, Heritage grille, DRL Harness, P13 Fog Light Bulbs, Back up camera in rear view, Nitto Motivo Tires
MAC-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:08 AM   #2
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
You can bypass the button at the door by touching a jumper wire to the prongs on the button. If that opens it then you have a bad button. If it does nothing you will have to start tracing wires.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:17 AM   #3
Jarred1202

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I had the same issue on my 2014. Just replaced the switch for $12.00. Not too difficult to do.
Roto Fab Intake |Oil Catch Can| Kooks Long Tube Headers - Catless 3" System | VVT Delete | Cam Motion Custom Stage 3 Cam | LME Custom Port LS Heads w/ Upgraded Valves | FTI 10" Performance Lock-Up Custom Converter - Triple Clutch | HPHV Oil Pump|

Last edited by Jarred1202; 03-10-2021 at 10:01 AM.
Jarred1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:17 AM   #4
Christok

Drives: 2011 v6 auto
following this as I have the same issue on my 2011 which just started. At first it was intermittent and I could get the button to work by moving it around with my finger but now it is dead.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:33 AM   #5
MAC-7

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarred1202 View Post
I had the same issue on my 2014. Just replaced the switch for $12.00. Not too difficult to do.
Was this what you bought to replace the button? - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00493WZSE...ype=automotive
2011 2LT RS- CAI Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Trifecta Tune, VMax Ice-Olator, RX Plenum Spacer, VMax TB, RX catch can, AAC side markers, Heritage grille, DRL Harness, P13 Fog Light Bulbs, Back up camera in rear view, Nitto Motivo Tires
MAC-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:30 PM   #6
GhostOutlaw

Drives: Black 2011 2LT/RS
This just happened to me yesterday.

I also constantly have dead batteries and my dad suggested they were related and it's something to do with the lube around the trunk lid/lock.

Anyone have any insight here?
GhostOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:15 PM   #7
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
I usually have to press the trunk button twice in my Camaro in order for it to open. I suppose that means its a bad switch?

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:20 PM   #8
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
I usually have to press the trunk button twice in my Camaro in order for it to open. I suppose that means its a bad switch?
Usually yes or a pin is loose at the connector but probably the switch.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:24 PM   #9
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
Usually yes or a pin is loose at the connector but probably the switch.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #10
punk5150

Drives: 2014 SS/RS CRT
I have this issue on my 14 as well. Have to hit the button a few times to get it to work. Either that or hold it in for a couple of seconds.
Guess I need a new switch.

Is it a pain in the neck to take the door panel off ?
punk5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:10 PM   #11
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk5150 View Post
I have this issue on my 14 as well. Have to hit the button a few times to get it to work. Either that or hold it in for a couple of seconds.
Guess I need a new switch.

Is it a pain in the neck to take the door panel off ?
Most switches can be removed with a plastic removal tool and no door panel removal needed.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 10:39 AM   #12
Linthead

Drives: 2013 2SS RS Camaro, manual trans
If your your key fob always works but your door button doesn't work or works intermittently then remove the 2 screws in the lower door panel and the 1 screw under the pad on your door grab. Pull out the bottom of the door panel and remove the trunk switch. You have to compress two points on the switch body inside the door panel that will allow you to push the switch up and out of the door panel. Disconnect the wiring and short the two contacts in the wiring plug. If you trunk pops open now then your have two choices. Replace the switch or repair the switch. This is a very cheaply made switch but the contacts can be cleaned so that it will work again. If you decide to repair the switch then open it by releasing the catches where it snaps together. You'll find a contact on the bottom of the rubber below the button and 2 contacts inside the body of the switch. Use a wooden pencil with a CLEAN eraser and use the eraser to polish the contacts inside the body of the switch. Do the same for the single contact on the bottom of the rubber part. When all 3 contacts are polished and clean, snap the switch back together and test it. The old switch should last as long as a new one unless they have improved the design since these cars were built.
Linthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 08:13 PM   #13
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linthead View Post
If your your key fob always works but your door button doesn't work or works intermittently then remove the 2 screws in the lower door panel and the 1 screw under the pad on your door grab. Pull out the bottom of the door panel and remove the trunk switch. You have to compress two points on the switch body inside the door panel that will allow you to push the switch up and out of the door panel. Disconnect the wiring and short the two contacts in the wiring plug. If you trunk pops open now then your have two choices. Replace the switch or repair the switch. This is a very cheaply made switch but the contacts can be cleaned so that it will work again. If you decide to repair the switch then open it by releasing the catches where it snaps together. You'll find a contact on the bottom of the rubber below the button and 2 contacts inside the body of the switch. Use a wooden pencil with a CLEAN eraser and use the eraser to polish the contacts inside the body of the switch. Do the same for the single contact on the bottom of the rubber part. When all 3 contacts are polished and clean, snap the switch back together and test it. The old switch should last as long as a new one unless they have improved the design since these cars were built.

This is good info and thanks for sharing! I couldn't get the switch out with a trim remover tool. It's stuck in there good. From what you stated, it looks that the door panel needs to be pulled from the bottom but not entirely off the door to access the button from behind to get it out?

Old 12-07-2023, 08:36 PM   #14
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
This is good info and thanks for sharing! I couldn't get the switch out with a trim remover tool. It's stuck in there good. From what you stated, it looks that the door panel needs to be pulled from the bottom but not entirely off the door to access the button from behind to get it out?
Yes, I had to replace mine, ordered it from Amazon for a few bucks
it's a 15 min job, four 8 or 10mm screws around the panel and behind the door opener cover, then pry it off starting from the top.
be careful if you have ambient lighting panel, use something so you can rest the panel on top of it, the wires won't reach to the ground.