Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Cats or No Cats

Who has cats and doesnt have them with your Longtube set up? Why or why not?

Are emissions the only factor for you?
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Snuggles

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS, M6, whitestrip
Junkie,
Dont have the setup on the car YET, but my setup will the ARH longtubes, non-catted x-pipe, DMH cutouts, into Borla Stinger-S system.

I like noise!! Only issue I will have is noise violation potential with local LE and issues getting vehicle inspection (my county in texas DOES NOT do an emissions test but still will check under the car if the suspect the cats have been removed)

This is also not necessarily my daily driver, so i'm not worried bout it!

Snuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
coolman

I always run high flow cats on my cars due to emissions. Expect for my real old stuff.
I didn't check yet , but do they make high flow cats for long tubes on the camaro?
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
1320junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggles View Post
Junkie,
Dont have the setup on the car YET, but my setup will the ARH longtubes, non-catted x-pipe, DMH cutouts, into Borla Stinger-S system.

I like noise!! Only issue I will have is noise violation potential with local LE and issues getting vehicle inspection (my county in texas DOES NOT do an emissions test but still will check under the car if the suspect the cats have been removed)

This is also not necessarily my daily driver, so i'm not worried bout it!
Cool, thanks for your reply. Atlanta has emission standards but down in south georgia there are none. I have a property I rent out to someone there so thats what I use for my tags etc.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
1320junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
I always run high flow cats on my cars due to emissions. Expect for my real old stuff.
I didn't check yet , but do they make high flow cats for long tubes on the camaro?
I dont know if they do or not. I just ordered my longtubes last week without cats.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'd be too worried about emissions to take off the cats.

Besides, who could say no to this?

warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Meow, I have a ca......oh, nevermind.

What about federal emission laws?
Old 12-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul SS View Post

Catalytic converters have catalysts—hence the name—in them that make harmful exhaust gasses less harmful. Without them, the car would emit gasses that would cause the car to have poor or failing emissions ratings in most, perhaps all, states. Technically, you're not allowed to change the catalytic converter, to my knowledge, within 5 years, but that has never stopped anyone.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
1320junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul SS View Post

shh dont tell the Feds
Old 12-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #10
thekid96

Drives: Z06, 69 Camaro
I run long tubes and a catless x pipe on my C5 Corvette. Even with a stock catback it is very loud, at least for my taste. When I had the Borla Stingers on there it was absolutely unbarable. And of course you dump raw fuel which can be a little intoxicating warming up your car or sitting at lights.
I am putting ARH longtubes w/ cats on the Camaro next week so I will have a good idea of the differences shortly. Never had cats on the Vet so not sure how much difference it will make yet.
thekid96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
SSyanide

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
OP: cat removal is a federal issue, statewise and locally, every place has their own emissions standards and testing, but legally...cats have to be there...if there is a visual check you could face a fine..I think last time I looked, it's pretty steep. Not worth at least having high flow cats, it's only a couple of HP difference.
SSyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #12
SSyanide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Catalytic converters have catalysts—hence the name—in them that make harmful exhaust gasses less harmful. Without them, the car would emit gasses that would cause the car to have poor or failing emissions ratings in most, perhaps all, states. Technically, you're not allowed to change the catalytic converter, to my knowledge, within 5 years, but that has never stopped anyone.
Yep, 5 years or if said cat is found defective, which, according to every warranty I've read, is replaceable under the federal 8 year/ 80K mile waranty.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
Mzodarg
Remembering those in Blue

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Blk w/IOM Int
I have Kooks HF cats. Why? Not sure why, I live in a non emmission state. Thought about the offroad pipe. But I went with the cats and now I am getting the lean code bank one and 2. Of course this only happens when I fogg the Sh!t ot of it. Questioning, my decision, will see what happens once I get the fuel trims reduced a tad.

Mike
Old 12-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
SSyanide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzodarg View Post
I have Kooks HF cats. Why? Not sure why, I live in a non emmission state. Thought about the offroad pipe. But I went with the cats and now I am getting the lean code bank one and 2. Of course this only happens when I fogg the Sh!t ot of it. Questioning, my decision, will see what happens once I get the fuel trims reduced a tad.

Mike
checked the plugs?

nice bike, btw.