Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-19-2021, 02:34 AM   #1
GAD

Drives: Silver 2014 Camaro 2SS
FI CAM vs NA CAM

What's the main differences? Planning on going FI around March ish. Talking over options with the tuner and he talked like there would be a limit to how much boost could be put through a NA CAM.
2014 Silver 2SS L99 with Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LT Headers, Kooks Cat-less 3” exhaust, TS Stage 3.2 VVT CAM, Circle D 3200 Stall, E85 Kit, FIC 850cc injectors and Elite Engineering Catch Can. Dynoed at 478rwhp.
GAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:35 AM   #2
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
overlap is the main difference. NA cams have way more then FI cams. NA cams will still support big numbers though.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:03 AM   #3
GAD

Okay, thanks!
2014 Silver 2SS L99 with Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LT Headers, Kooks Cat-less 3” exhaust, TS Stage 3.2 VVT CAM, Circle D 3200 Stall, E85 Kit, FIC 850cc injectors and Elite Engineering Catch Can. Dynoed at 478rwhp.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #4
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAD View Post
Okay, thanks!
What happens on a NA cam is you basically blow some boost out the exhaust due to the overlap. Also you usually run more exhaust duration and or lift to account for the extra gasses from the higher density air/fuel crammed into the combustion chamber. While it wont really change how much "boost" you can run. It may have more of a restriction so running a pulley that nets you 12psi on a NA cam may net you 10PSI on a FI cam but will still have more power than the 12psi NA cammed set up meaning it Is breathing easier. Boost is just a measure of restriction. So you would be able to spin it faster to regain your 12PSI of boost and get even more power.
I made 574whp on the NA stock cam 12psi. changed cam gained power but was at 9-10psi, put a smaller pulley on it got my 12 psi back and 704whp.
In short. If you are going to run FI and change the cam go with a cam designed for your FI. Turbo cams are more aligned towards NA cam profiles.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:37 PM   #5
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
You already spent the money to put in the cam, I wouldn't tear it all down $$ to change it. Run it with what you got. Yes it would leave some hp on the table but as already said just pulley up if you want more.
I think it might be hard on cats but that isn't an issue for you.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:06 PM   #6
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
For what it's worth, Engine Masters tested NA cams and FI cams in the same motor and decided they are both just cams. By that they mean one performed as a lower end torque cam and one pushed the power higher at higher RPM's just like you normal cam decision that has to be made. This was just one motor combo (351 Windsor with roots charge IIRC).
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:09 PM   #7
GAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
What happens on a NA cam is you basically blow some boost out the exhaust due to the overlap. Also you usually run more exhaust duration and or lift to account for the extra gasses from the higher density air/fuel crammed into the combustion chamber. While it wont really change how much "boost" you can run. It may have more of a restriction so running a pulley that nets you 12psi on a NA cam may net you 10PSI on a FI cam but will still have more power than the 12psi NA cammed set up meaning it Is breathing easier. Boost is just a measure of restriction. So you would be able to spin it faster to regain your 12PSI of boost and get even more power.
I made 574whp on the NA stock cam 12psi. changed cam gained power but was at 9-10psi, put a smaller pulley on it got my 12 psi back and 704whp.
In short. If you are going to run FI and change the cam go with a cam designed for your FI. Turbo cams are more aligned towards NA cam profiles.
That's the info I was looking for! Awesome, answered all my questions. I really appreciate the reply. And everyone else's replies. Thanks all.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:45 PM   #8
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Thanks for this. Now I don’t feel bad for getting a NA cam now, I will go fi in the future but gonna take me 5 years so rather enjoy the car over this time then underperform with a fi cam. Plus when I go boosted into just looking for mid 700 hp
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:47 PM   #9
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/ca...ted-explained/

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/ls...r-cams-tested/

If you care to do more reading.

As other people are thinking of a NA cam now to FI later, I'd choose something more with a 116-118 Lobe center angle and not too much overlap and it would work better with both. As I said I'd not change out one with 114 in a VVT due to $ vs gains. If you are going for max power and don't care about $ ignore most of what I said.
Saw a good youtube on this topic, I'd argue for a fun street motor this crane NA cam is more in line with what I'm looking for. Might be a different brand to ensure a good core metal. Again not the max hp cam there is but an all round package. California smog means I can't easily run this now though.

the cam specs are below:
Attached Images

Last edited by silversleeper; 10-20-2021 at 01:54 PM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:02 PM   #10
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
There are PD blower cams and Centri blower cams too so it's best to decide what type of blower you want to run before you buy the cam.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:08 PM   #11
GAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/ca...ted-explained/

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/ls...r-cams-tested/

If you care to do more reading.

As other people are thinking of a NA cam now to FI later, I'd choose something more with a 116-118 Lobe center angle and not too much overlap and it would work better with both. As I said I'd not change out one with 114 in a VVT due to $ vs gains. If you are going for max power and don't care about $ ignore most of what I said.
Saw a good youtube on this topic, I'd argue for a fun street motor this crane NA cam is more in line with what I'm looking for. Might be a different brand to ensure a good core metal. Again not the max hp cam there is but an all round package. California smog means I can't easily run this now though.

the cam specs are below:
Thanks. Will definitely have to read through those links.

I don't really have a specific power goal in mind. I've just been winging it this far lol.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:12 PM   #12
GAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
There are PD blower cams and Centri blower cams too so it's best to decide what type of blower you want to run before you buy the cam.
Yea definitely going Centrifugal. After talking with the tuner, I'm debating between D1x Procharger or ECS's Novi 1500.