Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #15
Matt@Tick

Drives: All GM Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post
Is the computer controlling flow based on the position of the clutch?

-Funk
No, just monitoring clutch pedal position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatisl View Post
Yep, ran into that when installing a 2-step: Had to install a programmable TPS switch on that CMOS signal wire coming from this odd OEM clutch switch just to act like a...#$%@$ clutch switch!

Glad to see Tick engineering solutions for 5th gens. All my 4th gen friends use your products and it kinda makes me jealous they have such good options!
Thank you for the kind words - we're working hard at it!!
Matt@Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #16
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Drives: ABM RS\SS; 69 427 Camaro; 1970 Z28
Clutch Pedal position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey@Tick View Post
No, just monitoring clutch pedal position.
Thank you for the kind words - we're working hard at it!!
Ok, so what exactly does the computer do based on the clutch pedal position? Considering that RAM clutches now has a hydraulic adjuster available that allows us (5th gen'ers) to set the pedal at any height we want, what would the computer do or care about where the clutch pedal is? Since there are no governors\controllers anywhere that it could interfere with or activate to override or change clutch engagement, etc. what's the point of the ECM even tracking clutch pedal position? Sounds like something else a tuner will have to disable when it comes time to do anything with the car.
If anyone has any idea of the consequences of the clutch pedal travel being altered, I'd love to hear it. The only thing I could think of that might happen is that some idiotic code pops up that has to be cleared....
Centerline, Weld, Holley, Nick Williams, GMPP, Diamond, ARP, Callies, Nelson Racing, Pro Torque, Strange, J&S Polishing, RMCR, AAC, MBRP, Flowmaster, FAST, Comp Cams, RX Performance, Aeroquip, Spectrum Powder-Coating, Current Performance, RX,TDub Racing, DSS, Fore Innovations, Aeroquip, Earl's, BMR, Ximpac, MPD,Street Scene, Blood, Sweat and Tears
AquaRSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #17
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
does the ZR1 master cylinder flow more than ours? I wonder if there is a way for that to work.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #18
Matt@Tick

Drives: All GM Performance
I have exhausted my knowledge on the topic, as I'm merely in sales and we don't have any product developed yet.

I will pass this thread along to a product engineer of ours - perhaps he can chime in.
Matt@Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #19
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS 6m
Location: Fort Walton Beach...surrounded by da** pickup trucks I can't see around!
There are a number of parameters for clutch decel fuel that rely on clutch position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRSSS View Post
Ok, so what exactly does the computer do based on the clutch pedal position? Considering that RAM clutches now has a hydraulic adjuster available that allows us (5th gen'ers) to set the pedal at any height we want, what would the computer do or care about where the clutch pedal is? Since there are no governors\controllers anywhere that it could interfere with or activate to override or change clutch engagement, etc. what's the point of the ECM even tracking clutch pedal position? Sounds like something else a tuner will have to disable when it comes time to do anything with the car.
If anyone has any idea of the consequences of the clutch pedal travel being altered, I'd love to hear it. The only thing I could think of that might happen is that some idiotic code pops up that has to be cleared....
Procharged F1A-94 on a 416 LSA block, Callies/Manley/Scat/Melling/Cloyes/ARP/Ferrea/Landspeed/Hi-Ram/FIC/Tick/Alky/ Strange/QA1/DSS/BMR/RPS/Tilton/GZM/Fore/AEM/ATi/JGS etc., built/tuned by me and Innovative Street Technologies
'Mo's Seemingly Endless Build Thread
ducatisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #20
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Joey,

I am so subscribed to this thread, and will be a customer as soon as you have a solution. Ive changed shift forks, synchros, and the clutch... Still frying the clutch due to not being able to fully disengage my twin disc.

Let me know if you need some test vehicles and I'll drive to wherever you guys are and let you install it and set it up.... Then I'll give you feedback and an honest opinion for a big HP vehicle... If it works on mine, it should work on most I would think...

Just Offering...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #21
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
I have exhausted my knowledge on the topic, as I'm merely in sales and we don't have any product developed yet.

I will pass this thread along to a product engineer of ours - perhaps he can chime in.
So i have a V6 with a manual trans. If I were to install the SS master cylinder, which I assume has a larger bore, would it help any. Since its larger and moves more fluid. Would it affect the pedals position?
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.

Last edited by nak3dsnake; 07-26-2011 at 08:17 PM.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #22
Synner

Drives: cars
Don't mismatch cylinder bore size and brakes. You have smaller brakes so you have a smaller cylinder. Screwing with that ratio can give you brakes that turn to mush or lock up your brakes all the time.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:07 PM   #23
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
I can elaborate somewhat, but since I'm not on our engineering team, I can't be incredibly specific.

Our Adjustable Master Cylinder Kit allows you to adjust the amount of fluid your hydraulic system flows by adjusting the pedal height up and down.

On the earlier GM models, the computer could only tell when the clutch was fully up or fully depressed because they had a cruise control switch and a clutch safety switch, which were adjustable so that contact could be re-established even if the pedal is slightly shortened after install of our kit (which is common).

Unfortunately, the 2009+ Corvette, 2009 G8 GXP and 2010+ V8 Camaro computers read the clutch pedal position much more precisely, for example the computer can tell if the clutch is 38% depressed. Since it's common for our kit to lower clutch pedal height (sometimes significantly), it's impossible to install a kit like ours and keep proper function of the vehicle.

We are working on a solution, and I'll certainly pass along more information as soon as it's made available to me!
Wow, that sucks. I guess I will have to mess with this when my stock clutch gives up.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #24
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Don't mismatch cylinder bore size and brakes. You have smaller brakes so you have a smaller cylinder. Screwing with that ratio can give you brakes that turn to mush or lock up your brakes all the time.
What does that have to do with the clutch master cylinder. It doesn't push enough fluid, the SS's may be slightly larger. I have Brembos and the SS brake master cylinder. They are separate cylinders.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #25
Synner

Maybe I'm mistaken then but there's tons of V8 guys with sticking clutches so that won't fix anything.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #26
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Maybe I'm mistaken then but there's tons of V8 guys with sticking clutches so that won't fix anything.
I have a V6. Smaller master cylinder. V8 has larger, pushes more fluid. Understand now?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #27
Synner

I was thinking of the reservoir but like I said V8 guys have a big problem with this so it won't be a fix. Plus if the computer is monitoring it like this thread states it could screw something else up without some sort of tuning solution too.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #28
nak3dsnake

Quote:
I was thinking of the reservoir but like I said V8 guys have a big problem with this so it won't be a fix. Plus if the computer is monitoring it like this thread states it could screw something else up without some sort of tuning solution too.
Its all just band aids on a wound.