Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-26-2020, 07:41 PM   #1
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Drives: 2013 2ss 1le
LOL @ Emissions

Took the race car through and instantly got dirty looks lol I passed the ob2 scan even with cam longtubes and no cat straight pipe. Although he failed me because I had red secondary halos and he saw black smoke coming from the exhaust. The car was struggling to keep idle the whole time so I’m not sure what’s going on what could be causing it to run rich?
_Onyx_Wolf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #2
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Can be lots of things. Bad o2s. Exhaust leak at the header, vacuum leak, maf, map. Leaking injector, coolant temp sensor Look at your fuel trims, watch your o2s voltage, make sure it's going into closed loop coolant temp ect
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane

Last edited by Greenhornet2; 02-27-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:25 PM   #3
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Can be lots of things. Bad o2s. Exhaust leak at the header, vacuum leak, maf, map. Leaking injector, coolant temp sensor Look at your fuel trims, watch your o2s voltage, make sure it's going into open loop coolant temp ect
I have no cats with no o2 sensors lol and I just fixed a header gasket leak as well as a crank position sensor. Haven’t changed my air filter and spark plugs with 60k miles prolly on them. My filter is really black would that cause it to run rich?
Old 02-26-2020, 08:52 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Onyx_Wolf_ View Post
I have no cats with no o2 sensors lol and I just fixed a header gasket leak as well as a crank position sensor. Haven’t changed my air filter and spark plugs with 60k miles prolly on them. My filter is really black would that cause it to run rich?
Yes, a dirty/restrictive air filter can cause a rich condition. Black exhaust can be a symptom of a rich condition. I used to leave black soot stains on the walls at my job when one of my O2 sensors started going bad.

Also, you should at least have front O2 sensors, cats or not. The ECU needs them for proper fuel trimming. If it goes on long enough you can also foul your plugs. Change your filter and let that engine breath.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:09 PM   #5
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Yes, a dirty/restrictive air filter can cause a rich condition. Black exhaust can be a symptom of a rich condition. I used to leave black soot stains on the walls at my job when one of my O2 sensors started going bad.

Also, you should at least have front O2 sensors, cats or not. The ECU needs them for proper fuel trimming. If it goes on long enough you can also foul your plugs. Change your filter and let that engine breath.
Will do thanks and also I popped the hood and found this plug unplugged going to the intake. as well as this line that is broken off from a while ago but I think that was for the npp exhaust not sure
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2020, 09:41 PM   #6
Greenhornet2

Hmmm, that looks like an evap line and the thing that was unplugged looks like the evap purge solenoid. As long as the disconnected house is the one that goes to the tank and not the intake it shouldn't cause an engine issue.
You also, do have front oxygen sensors.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Old 02-26-2020, 10:11 PM   #7
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Quote:
Hmmm, that looks like an evap line and the thing that was unplugged looks like the evap purge solenoid. As long as the disconnected house is the one that goes to the tank and not the intake it shouldn't cause an engine issue.
You also, do have front oxygen sensors.
Close examination there seems to be a hole or something broke off what sensor is this?
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2020, 06:53 AM   #8
Greenhornet2

That is the evap purge solenoid valve.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #9
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Quote:
That is the evap purge solenoid valve.
Gotcha I called my tuner and he said he tuned out the purge valve any how so it’s not even active lol and also told me to drive the car some more to let the ecu relearn the idle curves
Old 02-27-2020, 05:39 PM   #10
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post

How would a dirty air filter cause a rich condition? The MAF measures the amount of air and the front O2s monitor and provide feedback in closed loop which adjusts the fuel trims, STFT and LTFT. Can't even see it happening in open loop, which is at cold start up and WOT, due to the LTFTs. Unless the tune is really off. Also, iirc, oem open loop starts >75% throttle. So the emissions inspection should be in closed loop. If the air filter is so dirty that it limits air flow significantly, then a CEL should be thrown, due to alarm limits of the fuel trims. I believe it's greater than +/- 15 for LTFT. The tune could be rich due to the specs of the cam, allowing for a downstream gas smell/rich condition. Especially with no cats.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:01 PM   #11
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
How would a dirty air filter cause a rich condition? The MAF measures the amount of air and the front O2s monitor and provide feedback in closed loop which adjusts the fuel trims, STFT and LTFT. Can't even see it happening in open loop, which is at cold start up and WOT, due to the LTFTs. Unless the tune is really off. Also, iirc, oem open loop starts >75% throttle. So the emissions inspection should be in closed loop. If the air filter is so dirty that it limits air flow significantly, then a CEL should be thrown, due to alarm limits of the fuel trims. I believe it's greater than +/- 15 for LTFT. The tune could be rich due to the specs of the cam, allowing for a downstream gas smell/rich condition. Especially with no cats.
Did a hard reset to the battery and so far so good besides the service power steering/stabilitrak