Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 04-26-2018, 06:32 PM   #1
Hendols3
2010 Victory Red 1SS LS3

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS M6
Exhaust pop and crackle gone?

I’ve looked all online with no answers. I feel like this isn’t a common thing at all. I still don’t understand how this is possible. I had stock manifolds with a 3inch MBRP exhaust on the car with no cats, 2010 LS3, it popped and crackled on the deceleration like normal. I installed long tubes a month ago and as expected the crackle and pop increased. Yesterday I decided to clean the throttle body, a little dirty by nothing out of the ordinary. Reinstalled it and started it up. Popped on start and now when I drive it the exhaust pop is completely gone except on revs and is now very quiet on the deceleration. Even the raspy ness that the exhaust has at times is gone. Car still pulls hard and nothing feels different power wise or driving wise. Should I be concerned or has anyone heard of this?
Hendols3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
Crash76
Team 913

Drives: '14 ZL1, '15 Jeep GC, ‘22 Ram 2500
Plug the MAF back in? Check for vaccum leaks?
Crash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:43 PM   #3
Hendols3
2010 Victory Red 1SS LS3

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash76 View Post
Plug the MAF back in? Check for vaccum leaks?
Plugged MAF back in, double checked it. Also checked for leaks, none.
Hendols3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:07 AM   #4
N2O

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendols3 View Post
I’ve looked all online with no answers. I feel like this isn’t a common thing at all. I still don’t understand how this is possible. I had stock manifolds with a 3inch MBRP exhaust on the car with no cats, 2010 LS3, it popped and crackled on the deceleration like normal. I installed long tubes a month ago and as expected the crackle and pop increased. Yesterday I decided to clean the throttle body, a little dirty by nothing out of the ordinary. Reinstalled it and started it up. Popped on start and now when I drive it the exhaust pop is completely gone except on revs and is now very quiet on the deceleration. Even the raspy ness that the exhaust has at times is gone. Car still pulls hard and nothing feels different power wise or driving wise. Should I be concerned or has anyone heard of this?
Im having the same issue,installed header and catback and sound increased. Then on a new round of mod i installed 2.45 pulley and 1050cc injectors and the crackle has gone. It has to do with DFCO tables as far as i have researched.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I'm not a tuner or a chemist but, the exhaust pops are a result of unburned fuel combusting in the exhaust. Both people that have pointed this out in this thread seems like they were stock tune. Headers of course require a tune. The new tune had less/no DFCO tables.

Close?

Last edited by Can'tHave2MuchHP; 05-26-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2O View Post
It has to do with DFCO tables as far as i have researched.
Bingo.

For whatever reason tuners seem to delete this table without asking?!

After driving mine home after pulley & tune, I was like WTF with how quiet the exhaust was. I drove straight back and them and he tuned it for "added pop/crackle", dang thing sounded like it was constantly backfiring! Told them it was too much and I just wanted the stock tables put back. Now it's perfect. GM really must've spent a lot of time to tune the exhaust sound to get it so perfect.

Crazy how much the tune can effect the exhaust sound.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote