Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #1
Marioyoli

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
BIG problem with Rear Diff!!! Any Help is Appreciated!!!

So, I had work done by the dealer on my 2013 ZL1 M6 a year ago, for a humming noise in my rear end at 55-70 mph during cruising. I picked the car up and everything seemed good... no nosies! Then, about 2 weeks later I noticed the same noise started up again, but it was louder than before. Of course I took it back to the dealer, just to be told they didn’t hear anything. Mind you, this was the same tech that did the initial road test with me when the noise was less noticeable, and he heard it easily on a day with wet road noise. Now, with a more pronounced noise, he conveniently couldn’t hear it! Although, he proceeded to tell me that the rear ends on these cars were built to take a beating... so bring it back if it gets worse and they will take care of it. I think since he did the work on the car initially, he didn’t want it to look like he did shit work!!! I had the car in one other time after that for a different issue, and had them look into the rear end again... just to get the same BS explanation!!! So, I decided to do the tsb on my rear end before messing with the dealer again. Where you do 3 drain and fills with 40 miles and a bunch of figure 8’s in between fluid changes. Well, when I drained the oil out that has been in the diff since the dealership changed the pinion gear/bearing/seal, I found about 5-7 pieces of very small spring on the magnetic drain plug. Any thoughts???
Attached Images

Marioyoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #2
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Definitely not good. i would never trust a dealer mechanic to install and set up new gears and pinion. They're best left to experienced hands. I would have pushed for a new rear end right there. Anyway, call them and explain what happened in chronological order (they should have a record of your complaints/concerns) and show them the pics. They should replace the entire rear end assuming it's still under warranty.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #3
ZL1blue

Drives: 2013 ZL1
That sucks! I also have a 13 and the rear has known issues as you know, since you’re doing the flush etc. Call RPM motor sports in Delaware https://www.raceprovenmotorsports.net and ask to speak with Bill! He can help you get it straight. Personally I’d ask the dealer to order you a new rear, but I doubt they will.

Tint, wheels, Michelin PSS, Kook LT headers, HF cats, 1050injectors, 5% pulley, Mcleod 1000hp clutch, 160 thermostat, spark plugs and cables, Eibach springs, hurst shifter, CAI, Anderson carbon hood, carbon rockers, front and rear carbon valence, carbon spoiler, Oracle side markers and side mirrors, stainless door kicks, carbon strut tower brace, carbon supercharger cover, southern car parts engine bay kit, seperate clutch reservoir, kenwood DDX990 4s with appple car play.
ZL1blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioyoli View Post
So, I had work done by the dealer on my 2013 ZL1 M6 a year ago, for a humming noise in my rear end at 55-70 mph during cruising. I picked the car up and everything seemed good... no nosies! Then, about 2 weeks later I noticed the same noise started up again, but it was louder than before. Of course I took it back to the dealer, just to be told they didn’t hear anything. Mind you, this was the same tech that did the initial road test with me when the noise was less noticeable, and he heard it easily on a day with wet road noise. Now, with a more pronounced noise, he conveniently couldn’t hear it! Although, he proceeded to tell me that the rear ends on these cars were built to take a beating... so bring it back if it gets worse and they will take care of it. I think since he did the work on the car initially, he didn’t want it to look like he did shit work!!! I had the car in one other time after that for a different issue, and had them look into the rear end again... just to get the same BS explanation!!! So, I decided to do the tsb on my rear end before messing with the dealer again. Where you do 3 drain and fills with 40 miles and a bunch of figure 8’s in between fluid changes. Well, when I drained the oil out that has been in the diff since the dealership changed the pinion gear/bearing/seal, I found about 5-7 pieces of very small spring on the magnetic drain plug. Any thoughts???
What did they do the first time in for the howling? Would have had to the pull the rear end to set the backlash, check the paperwork..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:28 PM   #5
dentnshell

Drives: Black 2014 2SS
Looks like the spring that is around the axle seal.
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:04 AM   #6
zman1969

Drives: 1969 R/S Z28 302 m20 Endura
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentnshell View Post
Looks like the spring that is around the axle seal.
X2 maybe try different dealer
zman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote