Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #43
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Ok, I must confess... I didn't listen to the vid till now, I assume you think it's coming from the diff? The double-clunk is in rhythm with the 2 driveshaft bolts, maybe a coincidence, probably not.

Don't know about the rattle. Freaky.

Ask one of the custom Driveshaft guys to give a listen.

I'd like to see the inside of the new driveshaft coupler design, wonder if it's similar to a CV joint, if so, it would make sense. If that's the case your driveshaft may be sloppy if you jerk it around.
It's at the tranny. When I listen back at the diff. there is no sound but what is coming from up front. The popping COULD be from the U Joint in the middle. It's harder to pinpoint BUT the rattling is 100% coming from the rear of the tranny area.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #44
tkrupinski
Hugger Orange

Drives: 2010 Hugger Orange 2SS/ RS YSI/4l80
[QUOTE=PQ;3624517]It's at the tranny. When I listen back at the diff. there is no sound but what is coming from up front. The popping COULD be from the U Joint in the middle. It's harder to pinpoint BUT the rattling is 100% coming from the rear of the tranny area.[/QUOTE
Man I hope you find it and it is an easy fix. Mine is an LS3 and my center splines twisted at the center slip joint, didn't make any noise but was a bitch to get the stocker out of the car. If it is the shaft I used the Drive shaft shop one piece aluminium and have had no problems with it.
tkrupinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #45
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrupinski View Post
Man I hope you find it and it is an easy fix. Mine is an LS3 and my center splines twisted at the center slip joint, didn't make any noise but was a bitch to get the stocker out of the car. If it is the shaft I used the Drive shaft shop one piece aluminium and have had no problems with it.
Man I HOPE it's just the shaft. Or U joint.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #46
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Is there a doctor in the house?

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #47
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
It isn't your drive shaft or u-joint.... that loud and obvious of a noise, you would see that drive shft flopping around...... that is in your transmission somewhere....

You don't notice an shifting issues, or lurching? Did this noise happen to start after a burn out out
Old 08-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #48
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Is there a doctor in the house?
I picked up a set and used them. Pretty cool. But I couldn't pinpoint the sound. The driveshaft was moving and the tranny housing just had no sound in it. I'd swear the sound was coming from the driveshaft. I put the needle on the spinning shat but obviously the spinning of the shaft made it useless to hear.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #49
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
It isn't your drive shaft or u-joint.... that loud and obvious of a noise, you would see that drive shft flopping around...... that is in your transmission somewhere....

You don't notice an shifting issues, or lurching? Did this noise happen to start after a burn out out
Driving is smooth as silk. Never a miss or hicup. Can only hear the noise under the car. I believe I've narrowed the klunking noise to just above my X-Pipe on top of the heat sheild. Isn't there a U Joint up there between the two shafts?

Anyway, I'l have to wait and just have a good shop diagnose it. I don't want to be buying new bolts several times.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #50
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
So what is next??
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #51
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
pull the shaft and you will find the noise..
Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #52
JusticePete

We could use a focussed listenting device.

It is old school, but it works. Place the point on the tranny and the rounded end of the handle to your ear. Move back by fixed points until you are out to the wheel hub. The noise we hear in the vid is loud so you will hear it throughout the process, but you should be able to isolate it between just two points where it will be louder.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #53
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
pull the shaft and you will find the noise..
This weekend I'm going to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
So what is next??
Pull the shaft. It's all I can do. I'll know what to do after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
We could use a focussed listenting device.

It is old school, but it works. Place the point on the tranny and the rounded end of the handle to your ear. Move back by fixed points until you are out to the wheel hub. The noise we hear in the vid is loud so you will hear it throughout the process, but you should be able to isolate it between just two points where it will be louder.
My dad does that to listen for leaks in plumbing pipes. He's done that forever. LOL

I tried the stethescope all over the tranny where I could get to. I could hear the sound outside the stethescope better. Almost as if it were in the driveshaft it's self.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #54
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Did you turn the stethoscope on? Did you check the batteries?
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #55
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
This weekend I'm going to.

Pull the shaft. It's all I can do. I'll know what to do after that.

My dad does that to listen for leaks in plumbing pipes. He's done that forever. LOL

I tried the stethescope all over the tranny where I could get to. I could hear the sound outside the stethescope better. Almost as if it were in the driveshaft it's self.
When you listened at the back end of the shaft near the diff was it similar in volume?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #56
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Did you turn the stethoscope on? Did you check the batteries?