Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Help on Sound Deadening - Fuel Pump Module Heat?

I've just started a project to quiet down and reduce noise in my Camaro. To start off, I'm putting CLD, CCF and MLV in the rear of the car from the front of the rear seat to the back end. I'll do the front of the cabin later.

I'm looking for help with one area. I want to seal up the large hole above the fuel pump module that is in the R. Quarter Panel as pictured here. My concern is that I could overheat the fuel pump module or cause damage to the sound deadening materials from heat. I don't want to shorten the life of this module or find myself broke down at the side of the road because I was too aggressive in sealing up body panels.

Anyone else here that has done similiar have input on what I should do here?

This is the large hole and the module I'm concerned about:

Thanks...
Attached Images

#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
I used Fatmat, more than half the price of Dynamat. Here is a photo for you. And a link of what I got. Works great!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o04_s00_i00
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Thanks for the pic !!! Looks good...

Looks like you used FatMat as your deadener and left the large hole open. Do you notice any noises like exhaust or tire noise if you have your system turned off?

I'm also putting Closed Cell Foam and Mass Loaded Vinyl over the top of my deadender material, so that's why my concern about leaving the hole open.
My previous Camaros:
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
Old 08-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
=Stephens=

I left the hole open for circulation like you were concerned about. It works great, I used to have that "drone" from the exhaust, that is now gone, my wife is very pleased with it, no more headaches from the pipes. I have done the doors and the lid of my trunk also, it is money well spent and I ask myself, "why didn't I do this before?" I still need to pull my seats and carpet up someday to do the floor, I am going to wait til it is cooler out, gets hot in the garage laying it.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
Horriblecreation

Drives: 2012 1LT/RS
I did Dynamat from the firewall to back under the rear seats and it definitely makes a difference in terms of road noise reduction (most notable change was probably the doors and entire trunk area though).... you're going far above me with the MLV and the foam, it'll sound great when youre done!
Horriblecreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
=Stephens=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horriblecreation View Post
I did Dynamat from the firewall to back under the rear seats and it definitely makes a difference in terms of road noise reduction (most notable change was probably the doors and entire trunk area though).... you're going far above me with the MLV and the foam, it'll sound great when youre done!
Did you do it yourself or have someone else to do it? Was it hard to remove the seats and carpet?
Old 08-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
whats the estimated added weight to deaden the car?
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
I left the hole open for circulation like you were concerned about. It works great, I used to have that "drone" from the exhaust, that is now gone, my wife is very pleased with it, no more headaches from the pipes. I have done the doors and the lid of my trunk also, it is money well spent and I ask myself, "why didn't I do this before?" I still need to pull my seats and carpet up someday to do the floor, I am going to wait til it is cooler out, gets hot in the garage laying it.
DONE !!! Finally finished getting the car all back together and took it out for a 30 minute test cruze. Now I'm with you and also asking myself, why didn't I to this 3 years ago?

I was blown away by the change! I expected a very noticable change but it ended up to be much more than I expected.

Going to be a long time before I do my doors and under the carpet. It's just way too damn hot to be in the garage - LOL !!!
My previous Camaros:
Old 08-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Horriblecreation

Drives: 2012 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
Did you do it yourself or have someone else to do it? Was it hard to remove the seats and carpet?
Did it myself except for the doors which my install guy just did for free while he had them apart for the speakers; I've done plenty of other doors though, and the camaro doors are nothing to worry about. Definitely not hard. Time consuming though, thats for damn sure. Cutting each piece and heating it up takes a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
DONE !!! Finally finished getting the car all back together and took it out for a 30 minute test cruze. Now I'm with you and also asking myself, why didn't I to this 3 years ago?

I was blown away by the change! I expected a very noticable change but it ended up to be much more than I expected.

Going to be a long time before I do my doors and under the carpet. It's just way too damn hot to be in the garage - LOL !!!

hell ya man, its a night and day difference. It was the very first thing I did to my car because I hate road noise so much. I would recommend doing the doors though, I've done quite a few cars now and the doors always make a noticeable difference.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horriblecreation View Post
hell ya man, its a night and day difference. It was the very first thing I did to my car because I hate road noise so much. I would recommend doing the doors though, I've done quite a few cars now and the doors always make a noticeable difference.
True... Now that the back end is quiet I can actually hear how noisy the doors are. Didn't hear any door noise before - LOL !!! Anyway it looks super easy to do the doors compared to the job I just finished, so I'll be on that once we get cooler weather.

I can also now hear wind noise over the Drivers A Pillar and the mirror. Not sure how to quiet down this

Front tire noise is also now obvious. Before I just had tire noise, but with the rear done, I can't hear much if anything back there. Thinking about pulling the front plastic wheelhouse liners and applying deadening/insulation there too. Ideas welcomed for what to use on them...
My previous Camaros:
Old 08-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
=Stephens=

Doing the doors is actually fun compared to the back deck. I did 4 inch strips about 18 inches long and pieced it together. Took me about 2 hours to do them, but it was fun for me so I took my time. I did my trunk lid the other weekend.