Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Anyone concerned about the long term effects of vinyl stripes

I'm kinda concerned about putting vynle stripes on a car. I know that the ones you buy from the factory or from a graphics shop use 6 yr material but what happens when they are say 7 yrs or 8 yrs old and they fade or crack. Do you think it would be hard to use a heat lamp to remove the stripes so new ones could be put on?

I would love to do vynle in the fact that they are much cheaper than painting and I could do it myself in an afternoon instead of leaving the car for a week at a paintshop. Plus it's cool to think that if I wanted to change the colors I could do so. However, I have a real bad feeling that after 5+ yrs (especially in the TX heat) that stripes will go bad and they are going to be near impossible to remove where I could put new stripes on.

Does anyone have any exprience with vynle graphics on their car over the long haul?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Mike's LazruSS

Drives: 2SS/RS, Black, CGM, Black int.
I had a 35th anniversary SS with vinyl stripes, 7 years old and 45,000 miles, drove it some through Michigan winters. Always went over the stripes with Zaino polish, same as the paint (per Zaino directions) and they looked abslolutely like new.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
coolman

They've been using vinyl stripes for along time on cars and if you take care of them they last longer than 6yrs ,but with that said they do crack and fade over time. If the car sets out alot it will be worst.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
caverman

Once they start cracking or fading do you think it would be fairly easy to remove them without having any problems? My guess is you would still have to put back the same type of stripe or bigger because I would think the paint would fade differently around the stripe rather than under (even if you wax properly).

I'm just scared that 8 yrs or so down the road their might be fading. Then when you go to take off the vynle it would come off in all sorts of pieces and be a super pain in the a## to get them off.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 07-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Something I've wondered about. How much will the paint fade from UV/sun exposure over time, and will there be ghost stripes if you remove the vinyl and the paint in unfaded underneath?
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
We've been using 3M-supplied vinyl graphics/products for 30+ years, with excellent results.

Having said that, they DO "deteriorate" over time, or in constant (non-garaged) sunlite (UV doesn't like ANYTHING).

To fully remove, use a heatgun (with CAUTION-do not overheat the paint); clean up the remaining "stuff" with accu-sol or a similar non-paint-eating or -softening solvent.

Fade, again, is largely a product of how much UV exposure and (to a less degree with Base/Clear paints) color fade, which these days is generally minimal.

If in doubt, have 'em painted on.

BTW, do NOT wax "flat"-sheened stripes...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
BTW, do NOT wax "flat"-sheened stripes...
Hmmm...already have with Zaino...guess we'll see the results down the road!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
coolman

I ordered the stripes and then two week's later removed them from the order. I going to have the stripes painted on. I am also doing this because I want the stripes that go to the end of nose and instead of the end of the hood. I will say one thing if you paint them on then your really done of you want to make a change. I own service vehicles that have vinyl lettering on them, and when I trade one we have the letters removed. The only thing is you can still read all the writing because of fade.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Something I've wondered about. How much will the paint fade from UV/sun exposure over time, and will there be ghost stripes if you remove the vinyl and the paint in unfaded underneath?
I've wondered this as well... although if I ever do remove my stripes, it would be to have them painted on instead anyway...
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
My wife had a 2000 black Z24 cavalier and she had the RKSport racing stripes put on the car when it was new. And 4-5 years later when we took them off.....they came off nice but still had the stripe look on the car. After time the car gets swirl marks because of continuous cleaning and then under the stripes was like new.

I would get them painted on....that's what I am doing. The stripes are like $287 and for me to paint them on it's $800. For another $513 might as well paint them on.

But if you aren't sure if you really want to commit to the stripes by painting them on, put the stickers on for a while and then decide.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #11
caverman

http://www.ridergraphix.com/2010_Camaro_BumbleBee.html

They make the extended stripe kit....I would definately do that if I get stripes (painted or vynle). I may just do the vynle at first and save up the $$$ for the painted. I've been generally quoted $900 - $1,200 for the paint.
Build Journal
Old 07-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
You can buy vinyl conditioner for your stripes which will keep them in good condition. My 1981 Z/28 with it's original stripes:

Old 07-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351

Drives: 2SS RS, SIM, 6pd, 20"Alum
I disagree about not waxing them. Maybe some waxes aren't good for them but Zaino seems to work VERY well on my flat stripes.

I think they will last the life of the car if taken care of.
Embalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #14
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
stripes last a lot longer than 6 years, thats probably what they are only warrantied for. how long it last will also depend on if the car sits outside. I had an 86 TA and the graphics were probably 95%