Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-16-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
dyonz

Drives: 2011 2ss 6 speed MT
Strange feeling when shifting and clutching 6SP MT

Hey all,

I have a 2011 6SP MT Camaro 2SS. When I move my shifter into gears they all feel really bumby, maybe notchy would be the better word? im not sure but it feels hard to push it all the way into gear.

also lower RPMs like 800-1.2k 5-7 MPH in first gear feels sort of like the car will rock back and forth and make some sort of like clanking sound this also seems to happen sometimes in second gear at lower RPMs.

Sometimes when shifting and then releasing the clutch after up shifting it will sort of jerk i'm not sure if this is user error or not.. it tends to not do it as much if i let out the clutch very slowly almost riding it.

Lastly i'd like to know how damaging it is to the clutch for me to start off in first gear by just slowly releasing the clutch to make the car move.

Thanks for reading.
dyonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
Totally normal for these. In cold weather until the trans warms its tough to get in first. Idling in first gear the car will buck. Basically I get it going and push the clutch in and coast or give it some gas. At times you just cant stop it and just push the clutch in and let it settle a second and let it back out. You will get the hang of it.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
With all that V8 torque, can't you start off in second gear? Heck, I can even do that in my little V6.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
dyonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
With all that V8 torque, can't you start off in second gear? Heck, I can even do that in my little V6.
I thought I read somewhere that it wasnt good to start off in second gear, is that not the case?
Old 07-16-2018, 05:48 PM   #5
Matt8892(2)

Drives: Black camaro 2ss 45th
Look into redline d4 atf for the trans if you want to really smooth out that shifter feel. Look it up. Everything else you stated sounds totally normal
Matt8892(2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #6
dyonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt8892(2) View Post
Look into redline d4 atf for the trans if you want to really smooth out that shifter feel. Look it up. Everything else you stated sounds totally normal
yeah i had changing out the fluid in mind, just not sure how hard the process is of doing it.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:14 PM   #7
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyonz View Post
yeah i had changing out the fluid in mind, just not sure how hard the process is of doing it.
Take out top plug. Take out low plug drain. Install low plug back. Pump new fluid in til drops out top plug hole. How hard is that?

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
I thought I read somewhere that it wasnt good to start off in second gear, is that not the case?

Why not? I start in 2nd almost all the time.
I can just roll my foot off the clutch. No need to ride it.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #9
dyonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Take out top plug. Take out low plug drain. Install low plug back. Pump new fluid in til drops out top plug hole. How hard is that?
doesn't seem hard.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:45 PM   #10
dyonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Why not? I start in 2nd almost all the time.
I can just roll my foot off the clutch. No need to ride it.
when you say roll your foot of the clutch do you mean you just let it out slow and not give gas when going from stop to moving?
Old 07-16-2018, 10:23 PM   #11
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
when you say roll your foot of the clutch do you mean you just let it out slow and not give gas when going from stop to moving?

That is correct.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:25 PM   #12
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Also take off in second here most of the time when in normal traffic. Give it a little gas, hear it roar and - as mentioned - roll off the clutch... nothing wrong with my transmission after many many miles of road...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #13
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Definitely recommend changing the trans fluid. And maybe your brake / clutch fluid? I remember seeing your other thread, your car has like 51k on it right? I dunno if your car is modified or if you're the original owner but maybe it's time for a better clutch? Or an upgraded master cylinder.

Biggest thing is maybe the car doesn't need any of it but it might make you feel better, which is a big deal. Lol.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:24 AM   #14
dyonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Definitely recommend changing the trans fluid. And maybe your brake / clutch fluid? I remember seeing your other thread, your car has like 51k on it right? I dunno if your car is modified or if you're the original owner but maybe it's time for a better clutch? Or an upgraded master cylinder.

Biggest thing is maybe the car doesn't need any of it but it might make you feel better, which is a big deal. Lol.
Yeah its got 53k~ I'm not the original owner either, and yeah thats what its mostly about is the car just doesnt feel smooth to drive like it was made with poor quality engineering or something lol. i think i'll start with the fluids maybe and see how that makes my shifts feel.

I wasnt aware there was a clutch fluid?