Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-26-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
Gman1135

Drives: 2011 Camaro,2SS,RS,M6
Hurst to tall

I have installed a hurst shifter #391 6030 about week ago. I havn't drove the car because of the weather here. When I sit in the car the stick seems to be about 2 inchs to tall, it also sits a little right when in N. 3-4 center..I know it bolts to the right side of the stub and you can tell. For $300.00 + hurst should have fixed the small problems.What did they do make it to tall to put there name on it and come on get in the center of the console. Is there some guy in a suit thats good sell it, not my car? I just wanted it to perform, look, and feel good if I'm only going to get 1 out of 3 maybe they should sell them for a $100.00.
Gman1135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I had the Hurst and went to the MGW. Love this shifter!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121464
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Gman1135

I'm goinng to put the stock looking stick in and see if I can live with it. The chrome white knob looks good just to tall.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
Did you get the extended stick Mine works perfect and sits the same height as stock. I love it

I have the chrome stick w/ white ball on it. Maybe it's installed wrong Post some pics if you can
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: @J_Rod6410
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
Ghost-Rider

Drives: SW 2SS/RS
This is a race shifter. Have you ever seen a race car? Take a look at the interior of a dragster, Nascar, rally car, road course car, etc., etc... The shifter is taller. Why? because it's closer to the steering wheel for quicker transition. Short throw shifter means just that - shorter throws. Not that the stick is cut-off like all those Honda wanna-be's. Hurst sells all kinds of upper sticks that bolts right up to this shifter or any Hurst shifter... I'm sure you would be able to find one that puts the stick just about anywhere you like it.
Ghost-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
actually the billet plus 2 kit comes with a factory upper stick so you can put the factory ball back on
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
subzero05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 tbd
the Hurst shifter height is almost identical to the stock height!
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
Gman1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrrod6410 View Post
Did you get the extended stick Mine works perfect and sits the same height as stock. I love it

I have the chrome stick w/ white ball on it. Maybe it's installed wrong Post some pics if you can
I just order the shifter kit #391 6030 I did not see or read anything about two chrome sticks,, one size one chrome stick and one stock for your knob and boot. A pic. do you have one of your shifter.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2011, 12:59 AM   #9
Gman1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost-Rider View Post
This is a race shifter. Have you ever seen a race car? Take a look at the interior of a dragster, Nascar, rally car, road course car, etc., etc... The shifter is taller. Why? because it's closer to the steering wheel for quicker transition. Short throw shifter means just that - shorter throws. Not that the stick is cut-off like all those Honda wanna-be's. Hurst sells all kinds of upper sticks that bolts right up to this shifter or any Hurst shifter... I'm sure you would be able to find one that puts the stick just about anywhere you like it.
Have you ever heard of mathematics, the fact is that the longer the stick is above a fixed pivot point the longer the throw. The longer your lower shifter lever under that pivot point the shorter the throw. All shifters work with this BASIS principle. Why? because math works today the same way it will tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:07 AM   #10
Gman1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
Well maybe I'll grow to like it but , I'm not the only one on this forum to say something about the height .
Old 01-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
Not true.....it's definately taller. At least with the chrome stick it is. Not by a bunch but it's enough to feel.

OP: Drive it for a little while and see if you like it. You can always pull it out and sell it. Do what makes you happy. It didn't work for me but there are plenty out there that like it.

If you do....then look at the MGW. More money and more work to install but the end result is great. They also have a bunch of shifter knobs to choose from.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #12
Ghost-Rider

Drives: SW 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman1135 View Post
Have you ever heard of mathematics, the fact is that the longer the stick is above a fixed pivot point the longer the throw. The longer your lower shifter lever under that pivot point the shorter the throw. All shifters work with this BASIS principle. Why? because math works today the same way it will tomorrow.
EXACTLY! This shifter has the shortest throw (44%) of any of the shifters out there and it moves the knob closer to the center-line of the steering wheel. What you're forgetting is that the pivot point can be moved when changing the design - this is what Hurst obviously did. They raised the pivot point (which effectively lengthens the lever under the pivot and shortens the length above the pivot as you said). Yes, Hurst could have made the throw even shorter by making the upper stick shorter - but why? 44% seems plenty. Any more would have been way over kill in my opinion.
Ghost-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
subzero05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Not true.....it's definately taller. At least with the chrome stick it is. Not by a bunch but it's enough to feel.

OP: Drive it for a little while and see if you like it. You can always pull it out and sell it. Do what makes you happy. It didn't work for me but there are plenty out there that like it.

If you do....then look at the MGW. More money and more work to install but the end result is great. They also have a bunch of shifter knobs to choose from.

with the chrome stick it is about 3/4 in taller. With the stick utilized to re-use the STOCK knob, the height is the same
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman1135 View Post
I just order the shifter kit #391 6030 I did not see or read anything about two chrome sticks,, one size one chrome stick and one stock for your knob and boot. A pic. do you have one of your shifter.
What I meant is they have different sticks that will make it taller. Dont know if they have any shorter ones. I went out and looked at mine and sits the same as yours. But I also put it in neutral and looked through the back glass and it was right in the middle

But like somebody else said....Drive it for a while and if you dont like it somebody here will buy it. I tried to buy mine from somebody here and I always got beat to it so I just bought a new one.

One other thing, I believe Hurst is the only one to offer such a big reduction in throw (44%) compared to most others that are 25% and up to 33% I believe.

Hope this helps
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: @J_Rod6410
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote