Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-02-2022, 09:48 PM   #1
Jman64

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE in Rapid Blue
A couple questions on 2SS Bose system

So I just recently got a 2SS 1LE, and love the car over all. The stereo is actually better than I was expecting. While I can live with it as is, there is a little urge to try and tweak it.

In listening, when I fade to the rear speakers it sounds like there some kind of high pass on them. The 6x9's in the rear deck don't seem to have anywhere near the punch the front door speakers do.

I believe I've read that the Bose speakers are 2 ohms so swapping in normal 4 ohm speakers might be problematic. Is this true?

Are the rear speakers not getting a full range signal? Is there anyway to change that besides a major overhaul?

Thanks!
Jman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:09 AM   #2
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
I've got the Bose premium system in my 3LT, and I've been wondering about the system details as well.
Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:15 AM   #3
Bad 1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I set the fader mostly to the rear and just turn up the volume. It seemed to help quite a bit. I immediately noticed the same thing. Also wish it had a better EQ range. I managed to get it sounding pretty good but I think as far as having premium sound goes, they could have done it a little better. I only listen to the radio probably 30% of the time
The rest of the time I open the npp and turn the active rev match on, lol.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:49 AM   #4
Jman64

The reason I started looking into it was because the default settings provide a very front focused sound stage. Even with the fader in the middle position. When I started moving the fader to the rear to get a more neutral sound stage the difference in the rear sound became apparent. If I could just get the rear speakers to perform more similarly to the fronts, I think I'd be fairly satisfied.

But I too love the sound of the exhaust!
Old 04-03-2022, 12:00 PM   #5
WiggyB

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I noticed the same thing and just installed 2 10in subs and took all the base out of the internal speakers. Best sound I could achieve and was easier than even messing with the rear panels and stuff.
WiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:48 PM   #6
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
What kind of amp are you running?
Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:16 PM   #7
MrChevyDC3

Drives: 2022 Vert 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiggyB View Post
I noticed the same thing and just installed 2 10in subs and took all the base out of the internal speakers. Best sound I could achieve and was easier than even messing with the rear panels and stuff.
2 10's?? How in the world?? Were they free-air? Slimline? Pics of the setup would be superb
MAR 1, 2022 > Found 2SS Vert in Transit, out of state, put down deposit
Mar 15, 2022 > Went to original dealer to retrieve $500 Deposit, original order now at 3000
MrChevyDC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:43 AM   #8
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman64 View Post
In listening, when I fade to the rear speakers it sounds like there some kind of high pass on them. The 6x9's in the rear deck don't seem to have anywhere near the punch the front door speakers do.

I believe I've read that the Bose speakers are 2 ohms so swapping in normal 4 ohm speakers might be problematic. Is this true?

Are the rear speakers not getting a full range signal? Is there anyway to change that besides a major overhaul?

Thanks!
I believe tweaking this system with just speakers is a waste if time. You need amplification plus speakers if you are going to bother.

No one I know of has measured the frequencies going to various speakers, but, yes, it seems the rear side speakers get a high pass filter and the rear deck 6x9's (as well as the door 6x9's) get a low pass applied. Both pairs of rear speakers play at significantly lower volume compared to fronts. This is either by design (i.e. they are meant to be rear-fill only), or because the budget was thrown into speakers you could see, and Bose didn't have enough left over to amplify them properly. This all comes down to budget.

Bose drivers are in the neighborhood of 2 ohm impedance. Replacing them with 4 ohm drivers will cut the output in half, because that's how that works.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:46 AM   #9
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Have to say my 2SS Bose is the worst factory system I've heard in a long time. Very disappointing. Thankfully my car is loud enough where I don't normally bother turning the stereo on.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:45 AM   #10
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Have to say my 2SS Bose is the worst factory system I've heard in a long time. Very disappointing. Thankfully my car is loud enough where I don't normally bother turning the stereo on.
And the vert is even worse! In the 5th gens we got a 10" sub behind the rear seat. It made a huge difference - but the top mechanism moved into that location on the 6th. I am happy to get the much better top, but I wish they could have snuck in a sub somewhere. Not saying Boston Acoustics was better than Bose in general, but the 5th gen system blows away the 6th in the convertibles.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:09 AM   #11
Jman64

So my first step is having this JL audio powered sub enclosure installed. To be able to keep the car near stock weight for those track days, its being installed with a quick connect setup so it can easily be removed from the car and then put back in after those hot laps.

After that I'll evaluate how much more I may want to do.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136933...110LG-TW1.html
Old 04-05-2022, 06:59 PM   #12
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Thumbs up

I think the Bose is hard to tweak because it is such a customized and tuned solution.

I went for a full replacement

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561714.
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:09 AM   #13
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasar View Post
I think the Bose is hard to tweak because it is such a customized and tuned solution.
Any time there are no line levels to be had it's the same deal.
Take various speaker outputs, enough to get you something to build a full range signal. Run them through processing to get a signal properly summed and EQ'd. Then re-amp and redistribute.

One nice thing about the Bose is all the wires come into the trunk and are easy to access.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 06:08 PM   #14
Jman64

I got the JL Audio powered box installed, and I have to say I'm disappointed. When it works correctly it sounds ok, but not nearly as impactful as the previous vehicle I had it installed in. The biggest problem is that it seems like a lot of times, it putting out bass that isn't sync'd with the music that's playing. Some times it just a low drone of bass that can happen even when no music is playing ( between songs). Other times it seems like a beat that is off with the music. When it was installed I asked the installer if he had any issues getting a clean signal for the sub, to which he said no, it was straight forward. In light of it's performance I'm doubting that was the case.