Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
caliguy
Don't ask to pop my hood!

Drives: it's loud.......
Question Mufflers Difference....

Got a pair of the V8 suitcases ( mufflers ) wanted them for the tips to put on my V6, I figure it would be easier to weld on the mufflers than just the tips, Question is, Is there a difference in V6 mufflers than the V8's? sound, size, etc etc? or are they the same mufflers besides tip sizes? Thanks..
Limo tint rears, 35% sides | B&G lowering springs | BowTies Blacked out | Red Footwells|Dome Light|Kicker 500Watts-Amp-Kicker 12" Ported Sub=BOOM| Stillin Splitter |Pssst 100 shot| 13.36 @102.7 @LVMS |
caliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
jmontalvo

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2LS
I want to say the pipe diameter leading up to the muffler is 2.5" whereas ours is 2.25". The inside of the muffler is a little different than ours and some actually have water on the inside.
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
jmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
caliguy

I'll have measure to see, water? never heard about that, they are new with only 1200 miles on them if that. I just needed to know if they are basicaly the same muffler inside or not, guess i'll have to look up part #'s and see.
Limo tint rears, 35% sides | B&G lowering springs | BowTies Blacked out | Red Footwells|Dome Light|Kicker 500Watts-Amp-Kicker 12" Ported Sub=BOOM| Stillin Splitter |Pssst 100 shot| 13.36 @102.7 @LVMS |
Old 09-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
jmontalvo

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2LS
A couple of guys on here decided to open up the mufflers and found water on the inside to help quiet down the exhaust. My guess is that the water causes the pipes to vibrate less and since sound basically transmitted by vibrations and waves, it quiets it down. Don't quote me on that.
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
jmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
caliguy

LoL, strange, i shook it didnt hear water, plus it has a drain hole pee size, plus how would water stay in without vaporizing when car is being drivin? magical water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontalvo View Post
A couple of guys on here decided to open up the mufflers and found water on the inside to help quiet down the exhaust. My guess is that the water causes the pipes to vibrate less and since sound basically transmitted by vibrations and waves, it quiets it down. Don't quote me on that.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
The SS muffler is going to sound quite a bit different than the V6 mufflers. Also, depending on whether or not the mufflers came from an L99 SS or LS3 SS makes a difference as well.

If they are the L99 mufflers, the difference won't be as big as the LS3 mufflers. The LS3s are more open and will cause annoying rasp on the top end.

They might sound a bit better when idling, or in the lower rpm ranges, but overall I'm not sure if either is a better option over the stock V6 mufflers.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Also, I think it is safe to say there is no water inside....more like packing material to calm down the resonance they can make. I'm not saying nobody ever found water inside, but I'm sure they don't add it from the factory.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
BNB
Rollin' The Lunchbox

Drives: 2012 Camaro Ashen Grey
I saw some factory ones cut open and it's alot of packing material with the piping "S"ed through the suitcase...

Sent from the front seat of the Amberlamps!
BNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
1LEE

Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
The water is more than likely from condensation....

Old 09-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
personally, I wouldn't do it, those cans are 25lbs a piece, pick up a couple of magnaflows and some tips.....
Old 09-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
BNB
Rollin' The Lunchbox

Drives: 2012 Camaro Ashen Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oplay View Post
personally, I wouldn't do it, those cans are 25lbs a piece, pick up a couple of magnaflows and some tips.....
This! My setup is SS catback with resonators included to offset magnaflows with factory SS tips...sounds amazing! I have sound clips somewhere in the LFX forum..

Sent from the front seat of the Amberlamps!
BNB is offline   Reply With Quote