Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
Adeeyos

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Vert
PowerStop Rotors and Pads Installed

I couldn't handle the excessive brake dust from the stock Brembo pads and longer, so last week I changed out the rotors and pads with the PowerStop Extreme drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads.

The reviews for these were mixed with some complaining of squealing after making the change, but I decided to go for it anyways and I am glad I did.

Dealing with the caliper bolts (loosening and re-tightening) was really the toughest part of the project. I watched a few videos, so once I had the caliper bolts loose, it was smooth sailing and quick from there, until it came time to torque to spec the new caliper bolts. 30lbs and 90 degrees doesn't sound like any big deal, but getting that 90 degrees was tough and a bit nerve racking cause I was worried that I was going to snap one of those suckers off having to put that much pressure on them. Luckily I didn't snap any off.

Due to the complaints of squeaking, I decided to bed them in real good by doubled up one the bedding in procedure. That of course created a lot of break dust, which continued for about another 200 miles after they were bedded in. Three days later, I got in some spirited driving and was happy to see very little brake dust. I'd say the claim of a 95% reduction was spot on.

A couple of other thoughts.

1. If you are just going to replace your pads with these, instead of replacing both the pads and the rotor at the same time, make sure to get your existing rotors turned. Not having your existing rotors turned will most likely result in the brakes squealing.
2. Be very calculated about when and where you do the bedding in. Make sure you plan on a road close by and at a time when it will not have any other traffic on it so that you can perform the break in procedure to a tee.
3. When bedding the brakes in, consider doing double what is specified. Instead of 5 aggressive stops from 40-10, I did 5 with a short pause (traveled maybe a 16th to 8th of a mile) and then did 5 more. Did the same thing when it came to the 5 moderate braking portion, and then just drove slowly at about 40 mph with virtually no braking for a half hour to let them cool down.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #2
tmaleck

Drives: Replacement 2SS 'Vert 67 Cutlass
I went with EBC pads and rotors. I also hated the brembo dust and squeal. Worked out great, no dust or squeal and decided better braking.
tmaleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
+1 on the Powerstops! I have the Z26 Extreme drilled and slotted rotors and carbon ceramic pads. So far they have been great!

I swear you can sling the bugs off the front bumper before the ABS kicks in!

ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:03 PM   #4
Quicksilver2SS

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 NPP
Just installed Powerstop Z26 pads today, reused rotors that have only 29k miles, just scuffed em up. It stops no different than the Brembo pads from what I can tell, also did the proper bedding procedure. Looking foreword to close to dust free pads and wheels that stay clean. I used 2 tubes of this for the back of the pads.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #5
lkurek

Drives: 2015 CAMARO
I hope you replaced the caliper bolts, as they are a torque to yield variety....one use and done.
lkurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:25 PM   #6
Quicksilver2SS

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 NPP
The pads pop out without the need for caliper removal, yes next time when I change rotors and pads, caliper bolts need to be replaced.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:39 AM   #7
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver2SS View Post
The pads pop out without the need for caliper removal, yes next time when I change rotors and pads, caliper bolts need to be replaced.
I'm curious as to why you guys are talking about changing the caliper bolts?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:51 AM   #8
Trawz

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I'm curious as to why you guys are talking about changing the caliper bolts?
Because the bolts that hold on the calipers are "torque to yield" bolts.
When fully torqued to spec, they stretch/deform and stay like that when removed to change out a rotor.

Ideally, you are supposed to replace them with fresh bolts and red Loctite when removed.
Others here have reused bolts with no problems, but they are considered a "one and done" item due to the risk of over stretching/snapping them on reuse.
Trawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:29 AM   #9
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Was about to order these pads and rotors since the price is so good. $450 from Amazon for all 4 wheels.
The caliper bolts are always advised to change but working on cars for over 10 years I have never replaced them and they have always been fine. No one in the dealership ever changed them on any car. Head bolts are totally different but there is nothing wrong to replacing them if you want.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #10
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver2SS View Post
Just installed Powerstop Z26 pads today, reused rotors that have only 29k miles, just scuffed em up. It stops no different than the Brembo pads from what I can tell, also did the proper bedding procedure. Looking foreword to close to dust free pads and wheels that stay clean. I used 2 tubes of this for the back of the pads.
Instead in the back of the pads I would just put some on the side of the pads where they touch the caliper bracket. There is no need to cover the whole backs of them with it.
The reason for that is that the pads slide on the sides in the caliper bracket and all the excess that ups put on the back will just attract dust and debris. Maybe there are other reasons to put it on the back but I’ve never have.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #11
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawz View Post
Because the bolts that hold on the calipers are "torque to yield" bolts.
When fully torqued to spec, they stretch/deform and stay like that when removed to change out a rotor.

Ideally, you are supposed to replace them with fresh bolts and red Loctite when removed.
Others here have reused bolts with no problems, but they are considered a "one and done" item due to the risk of over stretching/snapping them on reuse.
Are you referring to the brembo calipers or the v6 model calipers?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:42 PM   #12
Trawz

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I do not know for certain but I do believe that both the SS and the V6 caliper bolts are Torque-to-Yield bolts.

I do know that the Brembo caliper bolts are.
Trawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:48 PM   #13
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawz View Post
I do not know for certain but I do believe that both the SS and the V6 caliper bolts are Torque-to-Yield bolts.

I do know that the Brembo caliper bolts are.
I debate this every few months. Torque + angle is not necessarily torque to yield. The manual does call for them to be replaced, but that may be because of the oem applied loc-tite. A lot of us that pull them apart fairly often just re-use them.
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote