Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Autos For Sale / Wanted

Old 10-30-2020, 02:33 AM   #15
mainecobra

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS 6 speed
Take the dealer offer and run!!! 5th gens are not going up in value like one member said. This sudden increase in used car values is only due to covid and covid only. Heck I remember precovid seeing low low mile 6th gen 1 LE’s going for what the dealer offered you for your 5th gen. Once this is all over and things go back to normal values will go back to normal also. Meaning values will drop significantly!!! Dont wait too long because this window will not last long. There are going to be alot of people out there that bought used cars during covid that will be upside down ( meaning they paid too much!!)
mainecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:26 AM   #16
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecobra View Post
Take the dealer offer and run!!! 5th gens are not going up in value like one member said. This sudden increase in used car values is only due to covid and covid only. Heck I remember precovid seeing low low mile 6th gen 1 LE’s going for what the dealer offered you for your 5th gen. Once this is all over and things go back to normal values will go back to normal also. Meaning values will drop significantly!!! Dont wait too long because this window will not last long. There are going to be alot of people out there that bought used cars during covid that will be upside down ( meaning they paid too much!!)
I can only assume you are referring to me. Im aware that covid has played a part. But IMO there's other reasons too. Fact is as we speak...low mileage/super clean and cared for 5th gen z/28's, zl1's and 1le's are demanding good money as they should.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #17
mainecobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
I can only assume you are referring to me. Im aware that covid has played a part. But IMO there's other reasons too. Fact is as we speak...low mileage/super clean and cared for 5th gen z/28's, zl1's and 1le's are demanding good money as they should.

I agree 100% Its a amazing machine. Cant beat the tried and true LS3 paired with the tremec 6060. I think the values will drop post covid but im with you what are you looking to get into thats better? Unless your jumping to a 6th gen 1le which is more money or spending significantly more on something for a specific need the 5th gen 1le is hard to beat. I have had alot of sports cars and i must say my 13 1le was such a great car. I would pass on any z28 , the LS7 is plagued with severe issues , ill take a Ls3 all day over a LS7
Old 10-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #18
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
I agree 100% Its a amazing machine. Cant beat the tried and true LS3 paired with the tremec 6060. I think the values will drop post covid but im with you what are you looking to get into thats better? Unless your jumping to a 6th gen 1le which is more money or spending significantly more on something for a specific need the 5th gen 1le is hard to beat. I have had alot of sports cars and i must say my 13 1le was such a great car. I would pass on any z28 , the LS7 is plagued with severe issues , ill take a Ls3 all day over a LS7
LS3’s are good engines.
What severe issues have you had with your LS7’s?
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:53 PM   #19
mainecobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
LS3’s are good engines.
What severe issues have you had with your LS7’s?
The LS7 heads are a huge issue. The valve guides were not concentric from GM and caused premature failure resulting in valve drop. Tons of ls7 z06’s have lost there motors because of this. They use sodium filled valves on the exhaust side and they wear against the valve guide and eventually break and fall into the motor. Only one company has the fix. So thats $3500 to fix right off the bat. Then you have the titanium coating on the rods wearing because titanium flexes and the rods rub together then fail ( gm cheaped out on the coating to save money). Then the crank bearings fail as well due to improper coating. It sounds good in theory to use all the exotic materials in a engine and have a high revving motor but it comes at a cost and that cost is reliability. If GM didnt cut corners it may have turned out different. Ill take a lower redline and have a reliable less maintenance engine.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:34 AM   #20
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
The LS7 heads are a huge issue. The valve guides were not concentric from GM and caused premature failure resulting in valve drop. Tons of ls7 z06’s have lost there motors because of this. They use sodium filled valves on the exhaust side and they wear against the valve guide and eventually break and fall into the motor. Only one company has the fix. So thats $3500 to fix right off the bat. Then you have the titanium coating on the rods wearing because titanium flexes and the rods rub together then fail ( gm cheaped out on the coating to save money). Then the crank bearings fail as well due to improper coating. It sounds good in theory to use all the exotic materials in a engine and have a high revving motor but it comes at a cost and that cost is reliability. If GM didnt cut corners it may have turned out different. Ill take a lower redline and have a reliable less maintenance engine.
The rods are titanium with an anti friction coating. That anti friction coating was wearing off causing the rod Ti flakes running through the enough/bearings and thus causing issues. GM changed the rod end design in 2006 to help prevent this problem. The issues were to #1&2 rods and on higher mileage engines that usually had seen previous rebuilds and drag strip/race history. You see how I discussed some actual issues instead of saying “tons” of ls7 z06 owners have had issues.

This discussion should be in another thread dedicated to this but it has been beaten down in every corvette forum. I enjoy discussing facts and actual 1st person accounts so as I asked; what issues have you had with your ls7’s and what did you do to fix them?
I apologize to the op for the thread jacking.
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2020, 05:52 AM   #21
mainecobra

Quote:
The rods are titanium with an anti friction coating. That anti friction coating was wearing off causing the rod Ti flakes running through the enough/bearings and thus causing issues. GM changed the rod end design in 2006 to help prevent this problem. The issues were to #1&2 rods and on higher mileage engines that usually had seen previous rebuilds and drag strip/race history. You see how I discussed some actual issues instead of saying “tons” of ls7 z06 owners have had issues.

This discussion should be in another thread dedicated to this but it has been beaten down in every corvette forum. I enjoy discussing facts and actual 1st person accounts so as I asked; what issues have you had with your ls7’s and what did you do to fix them?
I apologize to the op for the thread jacking.
I lost a motor on my low mile 2008 LS7 from the rod coating wearing off. Stock motor never raced or dragged. Then 10k miles later on a brand new LS7 I had a exhaust valve drop and ruin the engine.. 2006 was the first year on the c6 z06 and you can research many many rod coating related LS7 failures from 2006 , 2007, 2008 and so on. So no your completely wrong, GM did not change anything in 2006. GM did not use the process of correct coating recommended from the ti rod manufacturer. This is all LS7 engines. In fact 2013 427 corvettes ( non z06) had all kinds of LS7 bearing failures. And yes at this point I can use the word “ tons”’as there are tons of Ls7 engine failures. Low miles and all years effected. The is why you see “ tons” of z06’s with “ new” engines. Why a “ new” engine you ask? Because the other Ls7 failed. And to answer your question “ what did i do to fix them?” AHP has the fix for the head issue. PM or moldstar90 valve guides on oem heads with retumbled and polished oem ti valves Re machined with concentric valve guides in place. There is no fix for the rods. What did I do ultimately to fix the issue? I sold the car.

Last edited by mainecobra; 10-31-2020 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:58 AM   #22
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
I lost a motor on my low mile 2008 LS7 from the rod coating wearing off. Stock motor never raced or dragged. Then 10k miles later on a brand new LS7 I had a exhaust valve drop and ruin the engine. So no GM did not change anything in 2006. GM did not use the process of correct coating recommended from the ti rod manufacturer. This is all LS7 engines. In fact 2013 427 corvettes ( non z06) had all kinds of LS7 bearing failures. And yes at this point I can use the word “ tons”’as there are tons of Ls7 engine failures. Low miles and all tears effected. The is why you see “ tons” of z06’s with “ new” engines. Why a “ new” engine you ask? Because the other Ls7 failed. And to answer your question “ what did i do to fix them?” AHP has the fix for the head issue. PM or moldstar90 valve guides on oem heads with retumbled and polished oem ti valves Re machined with concentric valve guides in place. There is no fix for the rods. What did I do ultimately to fix the issue? I sold the car.
Now that wasn’t too difficult. You seem pissed as you deserve to be after all of that. I just wanted to learn more about your issues to help others instead of just saying something sucks; don’t worry, I do this to my kids as well. They say something sucks and I ask why as to put substance and facts to a statement. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:09 PM   #23
mainecobra

Quote:
Now that wasn’t too difficult. You seem pissed as you deserve to be after all of that. I just wanted to learn more about your issues to help others instead of just saying something sucks; don’t worry, I do this to my kids as well. They say something sucks and I ask why as to put substance and facts to a statement. Thanks for sharing.
Yea i think I will always be pissed off regarding the LS7 lol. Its beyond frustrating because the LS7 pulls like no other N/A engine and I want to love it. GM really dropped that ball on that engine. So yes stay away far far away.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:45 PM   #24
Glassman66

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1le
I thought NPP was for 2SS cars only.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:33 PM   #25
1leWorksforMe

Drives: 1le
I think I'll be keeping my car for the long run. Just something about this car that's special. That's a hell of an offer though. Problem is I don't see anything with a decent backseat I could replace it with.
1leWorksforMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:03 PM   #26
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassman66 View Post
I thought NPP was for 2SS cars only.
You can get NPP on a V6 if you want
Old 11-15-2020, 06:01 PM   #27
supersnake05

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2014 Chevy SS
I got lucky. The dealership sold me a 15 1LE 1SS/RS with 42k miles for 26k. I had an 13 f150 that was valued at 11-13k trade in before covid. The dealer offered me 17,000 on trade. Was looking for a truck, but couldn't pass up that deal.
supersnake05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #28
ASimmons04

Drives: 2015 AGM 2SS RS 1LE
I’ll be looking to purchase another gen5 1LE in a couple years and I believe they will hold their value pretty well. At least I won’t be surprised if they do. I miss mine a lot and can’t wait to get another one.