Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #911
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownSS View Post
You mean like a drunk clown with a scary face or finding out that you have a wire unplugged?
hahaha, I told GTAHVIT that was my biggest fear. That I get there and the tuner looks down, says "Hey, check this out" and plugs a clip in and it vrooms.

THAT would SUUUUUUCK.........
Old 01-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #912
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Famous last words " Hey Watch This"
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #913
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I would tell the tuner before you head over the trouble codes you have, and see if they are willing to diagnose those. They will need a Camaro service manual to show what wires and connector pins are involved with that P0650 code.

The only other thing I can think of is to clear the codes, reload your stock tune, then just start it for a short run. Just to see if that P0650 code comes back right away, or if that code is just in some issue with the maggie tune. If it comes back right away on the stock tune, the best thing to do is go down the diagnostics for that code in the service manual. It has you do some wiring checks on the MIL circuit. And if there is no problem in the MIL circuit, the other possibility is a faulty ECM.
I would think a wiring issue is most likely.

One other quick thing to look at is the connector for the tuner, make sure none of the pins have bent over or broken off. And peek into the ALDL connector where the tuner plugs into and makes sure nothing looks funky with the female ends of the connector under the steering column. Mine has 4 pins on the top row, and 4 on the bottom row. Make sure none of those pins in the ALDL connector under the dash have been pushed back.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #914
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
Famous last words " Hey Watch This"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I would tell the tuner before you head over the trouble codes you have, and see if they are willing to diagnose those. They will need a Camaro service manual to show what wires and connector pins are involved with that P0650 code.

The only other thing I can think of is to clear the codes, reload your stock tune, then just start it for a short run. Just to see if that P0650 code comes back right away, or if that code is just in some issue with the maggie tune. If it comes back right away on the stock tune, the best thing to do is go down the diagnostics for that code in the service manual. It has you do some wiring checks on the MIL circuit. And if there is no problem in the MIL circuit, the other possibility is a faulty ECM.
I would think a wiring issue is most likely.

One other quick thing to look at is the connector for the tuner, make sure none of the pins have bent over or broken off. And peek into the ALDL connector where the tuner plugs into and makes sure nothing looks funky with the female ends of the connector under the steering column. Mine has 4 pins on the top row, and 4 on the bottom row. Make sure none of those pins in the ALDL connector under the dash have been pushed back.
I'll check it out when I get home. Gotta hit the auto parts store for my Jeep parts first.

I did check all of the harnesses and clips for a pent or collapsed pin. I'll check these ones though.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #915
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
hahaha, I told GTAHVIT that was my biggest fear. That I get there and the tuner looks down, says "Hey, check this out" and plugs a clip in and it vrooms.

I would take that over a faulty ECM.....

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #916
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertway View Post
I would take that over a faulty ECM.....
Oh. No doubt. I mean. If it's a faulty ECM that's fine. It sucks but I pay for it and I'm done. STILL in the green as far as money. lol

BUT, I may have to tow it to a GM dealer to get the ECM synced.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #917
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:

That would actually be the best thing that could happen. Then all he has to do is tune it and you can get home and drive that baby on Sunday!
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #918
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
That would actually be the best thing that could happen. Then all he has to do is tune it and you can get home and drive that baby on Sunday!
Ya, but my pride would take a major shot.

I know this damn thing is installed correctly. And the chances that something broke (ie.... sensor, wire, etc...) are minimal. If it's not simply the tune, then the next probability would actually be just that. Something broke. Then the least likely, I missed something. I'd rather have to replace a harness, clip, or sensor than have it be something I missed.

Now, an ECU? Ya. I'd rather have missed something.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #919
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Ya, but my pride would take a major shot.
Wouldn't be the first time.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #920
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Wouldn't be the first time.
Kinda blows my whole 'Shameless' claim out of the water huh?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #921
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
P0650 is a MIL,
The ECM detects an open, A short to ground, or a short to voltage on the circuit that controls the MIL.

This is from the GM 2010 service manual.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #922
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
P0650 is a MIL,
The ECM detects an open, A short to ground, or a short to voltage on the circuit that controls the MIL.

This is from the GM 2010 service manual.

So? Talk to me guys. lol

What should I chek?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #923
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
If any one has more info i have the service manuals.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #924
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
None of the pins pushed back in the underdash ALDL connector you had the tuner plugged in to? Shine a light in there. Mine shows 4 pins on the top row and 4 on the bottom row. If any of the pins in that connector get pushed back and shorted against another pin, that can cause problems.

The MIL circuit wire is brown and white. I would look at all electrical connectors touched during the install and see if there is a brown w/white stripe wire. Since your ECM is able to turn the MIL light on, it's not an open in that circuit. I don't have the service manual in front of me, but it will show which connector pin out of the ECM that circuit is. The next steps will be to disconnect that ECM connector and then probe that circuit for shorts to power or ground. With that ECM connector disconnected, and the key on, the MIL lamp should not come on. If it does come on, that circuit is shorted to power somewhere. The MIL should only be able to come on with the ECM connectors connected.

I would only dig into these wiring checks with the service manual page for P0650 in front of you, and go step by step in the diagnostics for P0650.

Since it has P0650 and a driveability problem, I'd plug in the tuner and set it up to watch the data while it is idling. Make sure all the sensors are showing data, MAF, IAT, O2s... if you see a sensor with blank data, that could be a hint to a problem. Just P0650 by itself shouldn't cause a driveability problem, that is only the circuit to the MIL lamp. So that circuit must be shorted to something important, like a sensor. Or the ECM may have gone bad. The service manual will take you through the proper circuit checks, if the MIL circuit checks out, it will say - replace ECM.

Last edited by Russell James; 01-19-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote