Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
VRMMMM

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Drive line clunking on SS manual car

I am having problems with a clunking noise from the rear of the car when giving it a little gas or letting of the gas in the lower gears. Feels like there is too much drive line slop. Anyone ever had this on there car before? I set up an appointment to bring it in to the dealer on Monday. Hope they don't try and blame my aftermarket bushings.
Detroit Speed springs and Sway bars, MGW short shifter, BMR upper and lower control arms, BMR bushings, Roto-Fab intake, Magnaflow exhaust, MTX factory sub, painted stripes, blacked out, recessed tail lights, Pedders sub frame bushings, more on the way
VRMMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I get a little of that now and then and others have mentioned it. I think there is a 2 piece drive shaft and the independent rear suspension adds a lot of universal joints which could all conribute to some driveline slack.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Most of it is in the trans and ring and pinion. There has to be some clearance in all those gears or they'd bind up. All of them that I've driven clunk a bit, I wouldn't bother with the dealer.

Stiffer or solid bushings will definately make it more noticeable.

If it's more noticeable when turning at slow speeds, it may help to change the rear diff lube. As the limited slip additive wears away with mileage it can make the rear a bit clunky on turns as the clutches slip/stick.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
VRMMMM

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
The car has 13,000 miles on it and it has gotten much worse in the last 1,000 miles. I just want the dealer to check it out, it sounds that bad. I will have them change out the fluid while it is there.
Detroit Speed springs and Sway bars, MGW short shifter, BMR upper and lower control arms, BMR bushings, Roto-Fab intake, Magnaflow exhaust, MTX factory sub, painted stripes, blacked out, recessed tail lights, Pedders sub frame bushings, more on the way
VRMMMM is offline   Reply With Quote