Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
Starting it and letting it idle is the WORST thing you can do. Once it is off LEAVE it off unless it can be driven for at least 30 minutes. Engines are a lot harder to replace than tires.
Why is that hard on the engine?
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
The most important 3 things in regards to storing modern fuel injected motor vehicles, don't store them dirty, or with dirty oil, and fill the tank with gas.

Everything else is just insurance. I do these 3 things then I park my car in the garage and throw a cover on it in the winter, I gamble while it's still under warranty.

The guys that unhook their batteries, that's smart and safe insurance. If that battery should happen to fail it will corrode the cables and be messy and ruin the cable ends.

Battery tender guys, I truly believe they extend the life of my motorcycle batteries. The jury is still out if they affect car batteries the same. Nevertheless, if your battery fails it will fail and no battery tender is gonna save you. I guess you will find out in a few years. I got 9 years out of one of my bike batteries one time.
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
k1deg0

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waste View Post
Hi fellow C5'ers. I have a question about storage for my baby for a few months. Anything I need to do to the car if I'm not going to be driving it for a couple of months? Fluids, battery, etc? I live in Florida and it will be 90+ degrees the entire duration.

Unfortunately I'm going to be in the hospital for a while then recovery at home, I'll be battling cancer. If we have any cancer survivors on the forums I plan on joining the club!

God Bless ..
I don't have any tips on storing a Camaro for an extended time, but I am all too familiar with the big 'C' (my 4 y.o. is battling/beating leukemia). My family will keep you and yours in our thoughts and prayers! And make sure the other big 'C' is ready to go in a few months when you leave the shitty big 'C' behind you in the rear view mirror!

Best of luck...and stay strong!!!
k1deg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #18
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
sounds like storage is taken care of so i just want to wish you luck with the fight on the big "c". i'm doing the same battle right now. if ya need to talk, pm me.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #19
moserbe

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
The most important 3 things in regards to storing modern fuel injected motor vehicles, don't store them dirty, or with dirty oil, and fill the tank with gas.

Everything else is just insurance. I do these 3 things then I park my car in the garage and throw a cover on it in the winter, I gamble while it's still under warranty.

The guys that unhook their batteries, that's smart and safe insurance. If that battery should happen to fail it will corrode the cables and be messy and ruin the cable ends.

Battery tender guys, I truly believe they extend the life of my motorcycle batteries. The jury is still out if they affect car batteries the same. Nevertheless, if your battery fails it will fail and no battery tender is gonna save you. I guess you will find out in a few years. I got 9 years out of one of my bike batteries one time.
Over the last 20 years I've used a Battery Tender on my muscle cars, the last one was a 98 Corvette that I had for 7 years before buying the Camaro SS. If it sits for the winter it has the BT on it. I can hop in the vehicle and turn the key knowing that the battery will turn the engine over. Guess that you can tell that I'm sold on Battery Tenders.
moserbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #20
CRH83

Drives: 2013 Toyota SR5 4Runner 4x4
Same as others, battery tender should be enough and a full tank of gas... Might want to change the oil once you are ready to drive again!

You'll look back someday and see this as small speed bump on the road of life, here's hoping for a speedy recovery!!
CRH83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #21
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Drives: 16' 2SS, 12 ZL1, RIP Sasuke
Send a message via MSN to Heaven_is_inferno_orange Send a message via Yahoo to Heaven_is_inferno_orange
I store my dad's El Camino in a storage unit and this is what I do: I line the floor of the unit with plastic to help keep any water that may leak in and puddle off the car and tires (in northern Indiana alot of the storage units leak at the bottom and there is always water under the plastic), I unplug the battery, put stabil in the gas tank, I spray this stuff that is similiar to WD-40 on all the chrome pieces under the hood to prevent rust, Mouse Decon traps in a few corners on the floor, and moth balls in the exhaust pipes and around the car on the floor. I didnt have jack stands to put the car up otherwise I would have. The moth balls btw helps keep vermin out of the car just dont put them in your interior cause ewww lol. Also the car is covered with a car cover and all windows are kept up. The hood is popped but not all pulled up because the door handles are shaved and I have to be able to reconnect the battery to get into the vehicle. Hope some of this is helpful for you.
Also I pray you have a speedy recovery. Cancer is a terrible thing. I've had many relatives beat it, including my grandfather who had it several times over his lifetime and beat it every time. Keep thinking positively my camaro friend.
Heaven_is_inferno_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #22
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
Why is that hard on the engine?
The parts do not get up to normal operating temps and the exaust creates moisture that turns to rust. Just prep it to keep vermin out and leave it be with no battery ( a little harder to steal). My 72 starts in 10 seconds every year after being left for 6 or 7 months.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #23
5cents
Dave

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS - Black/CGM Stripes
There's no need to put your Camaro on jack stands, no need to unhook the battery, no need for a battery tender, and no need to pump the tires up to 50 lbs.

You said you'd be storing it for a couple of months. IMO, all this advice you are getting is pretty drastic for just that amount of time. I store my Camaro in the winter, it sits for 3 - 4 months. The only thing I do is top the gas tank off and add Stabil fuel additive. No need to do all that other stuff.

Seeing how you live in Florida, if the vehicle sits out side in the open, I would throw a car cover on it to protect, not only the outside, but the interior as well, from sun damage.

Best wishes on beating your cancer, and wishing you a speedy recovery.
Attached Images

5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #24
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Drives: ZL1 #1344 VR, M6
Your camaro will be fine. Stay focused on your recovery. I wish you all the best. Cancer has touched my family also. Ive already said a prayer for you. Like you stated, you live in Florida. If its indoors, no problems. If you have someone you can trust(I mean REALLY trust) just have them drive it around the block a few times a month. Ill prob. get burned for saying that but whatever. All the info that people have given you is great, if you have the time and funds,and ability to do it all. But its not like your storing it for years at the north pole. I know you love your car and want the best for it(as we all do) but its still... a car. Your life is worth more. God speed.
alyssasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #25
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I store my '94 Camaro every winter - the only thing I do is top the gas off. I've never used stabil -- heard too many horror stories of it gumming up the gas. Stabil may be needed for carbs, not our fuel injected vehicles. The gas won't go bad in a couple of months. Since it's only a couple of months, you shouldn't need the battery tender or any of that junk either.

Good luck and I hope for a speedy recovery!

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #26
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
I would recommend putting it on jack stands to avoid flat spotting the tires, put a new tank of gas in it, new fluids if due. And if you have anyone that could start it up every once in a while it would help to let it run.

I've also heard of people unplugging the battery to prevent drain and wearing it down.
My has sat in the garage for 2 winters in a row, yah it gets flat spots on the tires, but they go away after you drive it for a few miles.

Add the battery tender(or disconnect your battery), the stabilizer, and the 40-50psi of air (considring the heat you might not want to go to 50 not sure).

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #27
Waste

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT M6
Thanks everyone, I got a friend to take care of it while I'm out. I just got home from the hospital yesterday. Yay! Diagnosed with Stage 3 cancer unfortunately, but I'm a fighter! I'll be damned if this will prevent me from owning an SS (trade in my 1LT).. gotta find some humor in it all.

Thanks again for your well wishes.
Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #28
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Get 'em, Waste!

John B.
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote