Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 09-02-2014, 06:26 AM   #15
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
There is a shop using the Comp oil-less turbo for 3.7 Mustang kit... they've been flogging it pretty hard and seems to be holding up just fine... not sure about the long term though...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #16
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
There is a shop using the Comp oil-less turbo for 3.7 Mustang kit... they've been flogging it pretty hard and seems to be holding up just fine... not sure about the long term though...
That's good to hear. The long term is the only thing that would concern me about the oil-less turbos. I started doing a little research on them on the internet and the life span seems to be all over the map, one guy reports he only got 4000 miles on his first oil less cartridge, and 1200 out of the second one before switching to a comp oiled turbo. I see people reporting upwards of 30k with no issues.

As far as service, I've read that the bearings should be inspected about every two years depending on usage, and if the car is raced a regrease (have to send it in) is recommended yearly to the tune of $100. And looks to be about $300 to have the bearing(s) replaced.

Also, take a look at comp's warranty:

Quote:
Exclusions
This warranty covers defects in material or workmanship discovered while using the product as recommended by the manufacturer. The warranty does not cover damage or contingent damage caused by misuse, abuse, or any modification. The warranty does not cover parts that are subject to normal wear and tear.
To me that reads as if bearings are not covered under warranty as I would consider them a wear item. You could call Comp and confirm, as well as perhaps get current rebuild/regease costs and suggested maintenance intervals.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #17
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Yeah, I hear there is kind of a break in period, so I wonder if people are not breaking them in, and that's why the short life span. Need to go easy on the turbo to get the grease to spread around. As I've said previously, the car is not a daily driver. I think we've put less than a couple thousand miles on the Camaro since December 1st of last year.

what I'm trying to do now, is research the best oil less turbo to go with, as I have no experience with turbo's, and all the "lingo". lol My goal is to reach about 400whp with not a lot of boost. maybe 10lbs at most. would like to be as reliable as an aftermarket turbo can be, and not go wild. Falling a little short of 400whp is ok, with low boost, I still can use a small shot of nitrous if need be.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #18
Jn2

Drives: Solstice GXP
Well if the oiless doesn't work out, the HX35 should get you to your power goals, cheap reliable turbo...It's capable of pushing the 50lbs of air you need for 400-ish whp
Jn2 is offline   Reply With Quote