Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 12-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #43
5ohcamaro

Drives: 2012 black 1LS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69LM1 View Post
Hopefully they can get the fuel pressure right, then like you say, I can get the tune straightened out later.

Now they want to put in a set of NGK plugs to try that.

Thanks guys.

Rich
could fuel pressure problems be associated with fuel pump? I'm a little uneducate on that portion. But maybe going with a ZL1 fuel pump could help. I found one online for about 250 (on sale) and its rated at 650hp.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #44
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ohcamaro View Post
could fuel pressure problems be associated with fuel pump? I'm a little uneducate on that portion. But maybe going with a ZL1 fuel pump could help. I found one online for about 250 (on sale) and its rated at 650hp.
The V6's are DI and have TWO fuel pumps, a low pressure electric pump (like the ZL1) that just feeds the high pressure mechanical pump (HPFP) which is needed for the DI... The fuel pressure issues revolve around the HPFP... so a ZL1 pump really doesn't help...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #45
jcharrier

Drives: 2013 2lt rs
Shafted or not I still say 190 horse power to the wheels is impressive since our cars put down about 250 stock he could still add a few things to it to kick up the power meth, ported tb, underdrive pulley ,custom tune , Mabey a manifold spacer stock ss hp is about 330 for an auto and 375 for the manual so they'd need a barrage of boltons to outrun that
jcharrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #46
Fabberge

Drives: C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
The V6's are DI and have TWO fuel pumps, a low pressure electric pump (like the ZL1) that just feeds the high pressure mechanical pump (HPFP) which is needed for the DI... The fuel pressure issues revolve around the HPFP... so a ZL1 pump really doesn't help...
lift pump does help
Fabberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #47
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Any updates? Did you make it home safe?
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #48
69LM1

Drives: 2014 Camaro RS
Stopped at the corvette museum and my old employee got me on their track. First run the car ran so bad we stopped. As soon as we really got into it, the air fuel gauge dropped to 10 and the car started to massivly sputter and kick. The guys at the track recommended that I turn the boost controller off for the ride home, which I did. I am in huntsville, Al and should get home around 7 tonight. Ill post the vids we took at bowling green.

I called Jeff at IPS and let them know what is going on, and he said well address it remotely "next year" after I buy an hp tuner cable.

Jarrod, the installer, however did give me his cell phone, and took my call (after I got Jeffs vm) and he is even on vacation today and getting on a plane.

Faberge, if you are the owner of IPS (and theres been several stories around that) the guys I actually worked with Andy and Jarrod are great, and they take care of the customer.

Everything else about your company however, not so much. Just like previous posts here, communication has been horrible as welll as expectation setting.

And, along with that, to not have a tuner on staff and not disclose that to a customer dropping 11, 000, not counting a week of lost time, hotel etcerta, before he drove 14 hours to have the "experts" tune his car, is pretty bad in my opinion as a businessman.

Thats all ill post now before I really say something ill regret as I am tired and frustrated.

Rich
69LM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #49
JantzenOKC

Damn. I was hoping for a better report. That's definitely a lot of money spent to not be happy. Hopefully you get it worked out easily once your back home.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #50
HP Turbine
Boosted

Drives: 2012 1LT RS... with snails
I'm pretty upset it sputtered and kicked.
Sorry you had a sour experience there. there is always the BBB.

IPS Twin Turbos, Corsa Exhaust, Ported Throttle Body. 461 rwhp 443 rwtq!! *Cameron Hass.ani*
HP Turbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #51
5ohcamaro

yikes, this is making me look somewhere else for install, or maybe not doing it all.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #52
HP Turbine
Boosted

Drives: 2012 1LT RS... with snails
well instead of looking some where else you could always drop it off and it they have an unforeseen issue they wont be on a time crunch it fix it

IPS Twin Turbos, Corsa Exhaust, Ported Throttle Body. 461 rwhp 443 rwtq!! *Cameron Hass.ani*
HP Turbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #53
JantzenOKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ohcamaro View Post
yikes, this is making me look somewhere else for install, or maybe not doing it all.
Well wait a few days because I'll be doing my own install and I will let everyone know how everything fits and take lots of pics. As long as the kit is solid and fits well I couldn't care less about how IPS runs their shop. A shop is only as good as the current employees that work there.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #54
5ohcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
Well wait a few days because I'll be doing my own install and I will let everyone know how everything fits and take lots of pics. As long as the kit is solid and fits well I couldn't care less about how IPS runs their shop. A shop is only as good as the current employees that work there.
true, ill look forward to it.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #55
Fabberge

Drives: C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69LM1 View Post
Stopped at the corvette museum and my old employee got me on their track. First run the car ran so bad we stopped. As soon as we really got into it, the air fuel gauge dropped to 10 and the car started to massivly sputter and kick. The guys at the track recommended that I turn the boost controller off for the ride home, which I did. I am in huntsville, Al and should get home around 7 tonight. Ill post the vids we took at bowling green.

I called Jeff at IPS and let them know what is going on, and he said well address it remotely "next year" after I buy an hp tuner cable.

Jarrod, the installer, however did give me his cell phone, and took my call (after I got Jeffs vm) and he is even on vacation today and getting on a plane.

Faberge, if you are the owner of IPS (and theres been several stories around that) the guys I actually worked with Andy and Jarrod are great, and they take care of the customer.

Everything else about your company however, not so much. Just like previous posts here, communication has been horrible as welll as expectation setting.

And, along with that, to not have a tuner on staff and not disclose that to a customer dropping 11, 000, not counting a week of lost time, hotel etcerta, before he drove 14 hours to have the "experts" tune his car, is pretty bad in my opinion as a businessman.

Thats all ill post now before I really say something ill regret as I am tired and frustrated.

Rich
Just to clarify a couple of things. Fabberge and IPS are not the same company. We are no longer located at the same place. Yes, Stas is the owner for both companies. IPS is ran by a general manager and Stas stepped down from operating role in the company (about a year ago) and mostly deals with Fabberge now. All our installs we do in house at Fabberge. We do not offer free installs, we offer free installation as part of our R&D program. I guess this should of been clarified more in detail. We are always looking for every production year possible to see if there are any changes. Also if there becomes a concern with some fitment issues on a particular model year (we always welcome as much feedback as possible), we open up that year for R&D again. That is why our "Free Install offer" takes longer than 1-3 days max. In case we need to change/source something, that is why we usually ask for a week or sometimes even two.

One would assume that if there is an issue with the install/tune that the responsibly party will figure it out. From what I understand IPS never said that they are not willing to fix the problem?
If you are not happy with the tune, why not try a can tune? But it is only designed for 93 gas and the specific spark plugs (we have no idea what spark plugs were used by IPS in your car). If you have an access to HPtuners cable, I can do a tune remotely. I can also get you a cable at cost to help out. Let me know via PM/phone/email and I will be more than happy to help out as much as I can.
Fabberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #56
69LM1

Drives: 2014 Camaro RS
Finally made it home. Like I said, kinda worn out so I hope that I did not come off wrong. Also, me putting 91 in it at the last stop was a newwb thing to, and I take partial responsibility for that.

Here's the timeline for perspective:

Issues:

1. Plenty of confusion as to weather I was talking to Fabberge or IPS, I actually called both thinking they were the same company. Jeff sure did not correct me, even to the point where I sent him a copy of Fabberge's post here about free install. He made it sound as if they were the same company and that sure got me a little gunshy after I committed and found out otherwise later.

2. First invoice from IPS, I was overcharged by $1,000.00, had to call and straighten out, get new invoices etc.

3. After a massive down payment (80%) is charged to my CC, Jeff dropped off the face of the earth, and after calling IPS and still not getting any updates, I called and disputed the charges thinking I was being scammed. Jeff finally called back and explained that he was sick, and basically that everything was a go and the exhaust and turbos were in and I could come up.

4. I arrive in Ohio and Andy drops me off at my hotel on a Sunday (again, the guys were great) so the car would be cold for a good start the next day. I call Jeff to see what time I could come by and he basically says that due to insurance reasons I really can't. I understand that they don't want someone hovering over their shoulder, I really do. But, I also wanted to understand the process, whom was doing the work, and a little about what was involved in the tune, as that was my main reason for driving 14 hours to Ohio for this. So, I default to ask for the camera password they have on their web site for customers so I can at least peek in and see whats going on with the car. After all, I am now carless in a hotel room. Jeff says that's a no go as well, the car wont be worked on where I can see it. Jeff texts me and says they made great progress and should be done Tuesday pm. I make sure to tell Jeff that at my last gas stop, they only had 91, so that's what I used. He says I should have had 93, that it was important.

5. On Tuesday, they start to have issues, and Jeff invites me over. Fist thing he says is they ordered the wrong gauge pod, they did not get the convertible one, but the hardtop version and they are having to "modify" (read cut) to get it to work. Andy drops me back off at the Hotel. Jeff texts later and is frustrated that they are several hours into the gauge problem and still are not done.

6. At ~830 Jeff starts a text string that they are having fuel pressure issues.

7. At ~930, the tune is having issues and the 91 is to blame. I txt back and forth with many of the same ideas you guys had here, Octane boost, racing gas, etc. I Finally say drain the tank and Jeff says it cant really be done. I ask here, then do a search, and sure enough there is a pretty easy way. I txt the directions to Jeff and again request they drain the tank and refill with 93. Jeff txts back that it is too late the tuner already has it on the dyno. He recommends that we just tune it to 91 and due to time, let it ride like that.

8. The next morning, Jeff texts me again seeming a little agitated that the gauges took so long, and apparently his guys and the tuner were there until 130am having issues. I go over to the shop.

9. That's when Jeff lets me know the tuner is not on staff, but a contract tuner. Basically he says they can make the schedule and leave it as is, or I can push my schedule back and do it right. They will drain the tank, refill with 93, and retune. They recommend that I add performance plugs, and I give the OK. I push my schedule back and opt to "do it right". A few hours later I learn that due to the tuner being a contract person, they are not even sure they can get him back to the shop. Apparently, they never were. Jeff leaves as he is "off" for the day.

10. I go in the back, and Andy asks me what I want to do with the take offs, and I say put em in the car other than the exhaust. Then I see the exhaust brace, and remember the thread here about the exhaust for a convertible having to be specific for one to fit right. Convertible strikes again. At the point I don't even say anything.

Jarrod dyno's the car, and I was at least able to sneek back there and see that. After the Dyno they just have to change the oil and I am good to go.

11. After a hour or so, I am just waiting, so I slip into the back and see my car on the rack and Jarrod working on another car. I ask him whats up, and he says they are out of parts, filter etc, so someone has to make a run to the local auto parts store and pick them up.

After all of that, I get to Bowling Green and stop for the night. I meet the guys at the Corvette Test Track and even though the car has been sitting all night and is nice and cool, first run I have the issues and the guys basically saying that I have a bunk tune and it is unsafe to run.

I turn the booster off and limp home, and if I try and step into it to pass a truck and get too deep or break 90, it sputters and the engine light comes on (then goes off after a few miles). So, keeping it under 80 for 14 hours, and yes, feeling a little frustrated.

Wrong parts for a Vert, out of parts that are a part of the install and they have to run to auto zone to get and finding out the tuner is not really associated with IPS kinda does that.

Again, you are correct, Jeff never did say they would not correct the issue. But at this point, dare I even trust it? And of course, like the plugs, I have to buy something to correct the issue (which I am not opposed to spending some $$ or I would not have bought the plugs), but I expect results for this kind of money.

So, that is why I posted, and again, sorry if I came off wrong. Its been a long week.

I'll post the vid then crash and think about all of this and come up with a plan of action from here.

Again, thanks for answering from the actual owners mouth, and the offer. I'll PM you tomorrow.

Rich

Last edited by 69LM1; 12-18-2014 at 08:26 PM.
69LM1 is offline   Reply With Quote