Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-13-2015, 11:37 AM   #1
SkunkJunk420

Drives: camaros
How do I protect my carbon fiber hood?

I dont know if its true, but someone told me the hot sunny days are bad for my carbon fiber hood if not waxed every now and then... So if this is true (probably is) what is a good wax to put on to protect the carbon from fading? Of course any and all help is always appreciated!
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  85.3 KB
SkunkJunk420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Treat it like the rest of your paint. The carbon fiber is not exposed and has a clear coat over it. It is not going to "fade". There are many sealants and waxes out there to use, read the sticky at the top of this forum for product advice. And I would apply the wax to your whole car, not just the hood.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
If your carbon fiber hood is gel-coated, like most aftermarket one's are,
I'd use a good sealant on it.

Wax will give it some protection, but gel-coat is much more susceptible to oxidation from the sun then clear coat.

Lot's of good sealant's out there, Blackfire, CG Jetseal, Adams, etc.

You can also layer wax over the sealant for added protection.

Your hood looks great!
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:12 AM   #4
SkunkJunk420

Drives: camaros
Thanks fellas
SkunkJunk420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:36 PM   #5
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkJunk420 View Post
Thanks fellas
Just make sure you know what kind (if any) clear was applied from where you bought it. The Siebon pieces need to be clear coated when you get them. I have ordered a CF hood vent and was told by seller it needs to be clear coated. Adds a layer of complication. I was thinking of using Collinite 845 or other Collinite as it has UV protection.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Carbon Fiber pieces I have used need to cleared with a UV resistant Clear to provide discoloration
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:06 PM   #7
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Carbon Fiber pieces I have used need to cleared with a UV resistant Clear to provide discoloration
^^^^^
Like he said!
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #8
Rickerbucks
HP addict

Drives: 2 SS RS,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
What he said. I have NO idea why none of the CF manufactures paint this in a UV protection.

Follow my 2013 One Lap Of America Blog here: https://www.facebook.com/#!/ShaunAnd...page_new_likes

2014 Jeep SRT 8 - stock
2010 Challenger SRT 8 - stock
2007 Charger SRT8 Super Bee - not stock at all.
Rickerbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickerbucks View Post
What he said. I have NO idea why none of the CF manufactures paint this in a UV protection.
Often wondered the same thing. Years back we were doing an event at a shop in SoCal that caters a lot to imports and the CF hoods, spoilers, etc were everywhere... obviously all aftermarket.

I'd bet more than half of them had yellowed/faded/oxidized gelcoat to some degree or another. Just makes you wonder why they don't do something for UV protection knowing that it'll see lots of sun exposure and CF gets unbelievably hot in the direct sun.

As the others mentioned, get some sealant on it and maintain it and you should be fine. In the event it did start to haze or oxidize its easy enough to polish out - just don't let it go untreated for too long and you'll be fine.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote