Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
WE485

Drives: 2010 SS
L99 lifter start up noise

Well, I took the car in for the nice lifter noise. I even gave them the TSB. their responce? it's not bad enough. they want me to keep driving it and see if it get's worse. they said it was piston slap and it's minor. everytime you start the car it sounds horrible. I should not have to just live with this. thoughts?

1996 Z28
04 GTO
2010 SS
2011 Avalanche
WE485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
there was a problem in the L99 with oil bleed down from the old design lifters after the car was shutoff awhile. GM designed a new lifter to resolve this. It happened on mine and all the lifters were replaced under warranty. It's a known problem on the Production year 09's but I see you joined in 11 so I am not sure if you got the new lifter design or not already in your engine.
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
It'll take personal dedication to your cause and several unscheduled trips.............alot of willingness to sit around in the dealers customers waiting room sharing the reason you're a regular tenant there, even more time spent wondering around the showroom and sales lot innocently, secretly and politely detailing your unhappiness and discourse with the service staff over your concerns with every potential browser or purchaser on the property. Everyone enjoys a good honest preview. Your plight won't fall on deaf ears or sealed lips eventually..........your patients will prevail. Enjoy the fix!

Last edited by Caspers2SSRS; 10-18-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog View Post
there was a problem in the L99 with oil bleed down from the old design lifters after the car was shutoff awhile. GM designed a new lifter to resolve this. It happened on mine and all the lifters were replaced under warranty. It's a known problem on the Production year 09's but I see you joined in 11 so I am not sure if you got the new lifter design or not already in your engine.
His sig .....is for a 2010 ss not sure how his joined date would affect his warranty. The AFM lifter TSB ,,,,,, http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Bl...afm_lifter.pdf
Old 10-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
I had all my lifters replaced.I took a video.it took me about three tries to catch it on video.i did this because my dealers about 80 miles away.the tsb says its random and it was.I hoped it would heal itself too.after a year and 10000 miles I couldn't take it anymore.Took car and video to dealer,there was no denying the problem,9 days later its the new car I bargained for originally.A mechanical failure will not cure itself.If the pistons slapping,have them fix that too while its torn down for the lifters.

Last edited by hunter1660; 10-18-2013 at 12:34 PM.
hunter1660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
WE485

Dealer still has the car. they have all heard the noise including the GM area rep. they said, "they have a car on their used lot that sounds worse than mine" they told my wife that "performance cars make more noise" I dont know that I blame the dealer. it seems GM is pulling the strings in this.

1996 Z28
04 GTO
2010 SS
2011 Avalanche
Old 10-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE485 View Post
Dealer still has the car. they have all heard the noise including the GM area rep. they said, "they have a car on their used lot that sounds worse than mine" they told my wife that "performance cars make more noise" I dont know that I blame the dealer. it seems GM is pulling the strings in this.
Well one might suppose the dealers got GM on their side.............before they are convinced, forced, browbeaten by you to begin the low profit repairs. The rep using the comparo " they've got one on the used car lot that sounds worse than yours" is so silly........... certainly the rep lacks critical thinking skills before they'd open wide and insert foot. It would compare to your doctor diagnosing your severe chest pains as a electrical malfunction with your recently installed pace maker, one he installed. Then tell you....add insult to injury, that you shouldn't complain or expect a immediate fix, worst......one at all, because the last patient of his that had a similar problem, that became worse, is now lying over in the graveyard. What the heck does the known issues with your car, the one you've invested your hard earned dollars in as a GM loyalist, have to do with the car someone else disposed of, for whatever reason........including the likely possibility, they received the same poor and unprofessional response to a lifter issue or worse. To boot.... there is a TSB and you have a warranty you've paid for. Wondering if that ex Camaro owners driving a Mustang now...................is what you should have asked the rep. Better yet, could he recommended a Ford dealer, that could provide you with a satisfactory resolution to the lifter noise..............before it worsens. Good Luck............

Last edited by Caspers2SSRS; 10-19-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
they said, "they have a car on their used lot that sounds worse than mine"

I would have asked them how they ever plan on selling the car if it sounds like a can of marbles on startup.
if they don't do anything, id take it to a different dealer that doesn't hassle their customers.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
aggieguy13

Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
there premise isnt completly wrong, not as to say it should be as bad as your experiencing. you can expect a small amount of noise from any large engine. there not hondas.

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Well, I took the car in for the nice lifter noise. I even gave them the TSB. their responce? it's not bad enough. they want me to keep driving it and see if it get's worse. they said it was piston slap and it's minor. everytime you start the car it sounds horrible. I should not have to just live with this. thoughts?
WE485,

I apologize for the lifter tick that you are experiencing. I'd be more than happy to contact your dealer to see if there is possibly anything else we can do to assist you. We want you to feel like your vehicle is operating as it was designed to and are willing to exhaust all measures to ensure that we can make it right. Feel free to contact me privately if necessary.

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
WE485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
WE485,

I apologize for the lifter tick that you are experiencing. I'd be more than happy to contact your dealer to see if there is possibly anything else we can do to assist you. We want you to feel like your vehicle is operating as it was designed to and are willing to exhaust all measures to ensure that we can make it right. Feel free to contact me privately if necessary.

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Sent you a p.m.

I also called GM Friday. So far nothing from them.

1996 Z28
04 GTO
2010 SS
2011 Avalanche
Old 10-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Sent you a p.m.

I also called GM Friday. So far nothing from them.
Thanks for your message. I've sent you back a response. Looking forward to hearing from you.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #13
WE485

I'm picking the car up today. they still have not fixed it. I have moved from annyoed to really pissed.

1996 Z28
04 GTO
2010 SS
2011 Avalanche
Old 10-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
Quote:
I'm picking the car up today. they still have not fixed it. I have moved from annyoed to really pissed.
just go out and run the crap out of your engine and let it grenade itself. then GM will have to give u a new engine and you'll be set. you obviously have tried to do things the right way and that hasn't gotten u anywhere.
bumblebeecamaro is offline   Reply With Quote