Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Drives: My girlfriend crazy with car talk
The final answer on jacking the rear...

Yes, I've searched this and found 4 or 5 different answers per thread.

Saturday I'm going to plastidip my wheels. Jacking up the front, I've done that no problem. But the rear I'm still not sure where to put the floor jack. The pictures PQ posted of the car on the rotisserie, and a few other people, have it on a point of the suspension that isn't on the center of the car - it's a little off the center which seems dangerous to me. I've seen people jack the rear diff with a hockey puck or plywood in between the cup and the diff, but some say that'll damage the diff and the irs.

So, what's the final answer? Or is it an either-or kind of thing. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Raptor626
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Summit White
NO, not the diff! The diff's housing is aluminum, that means NO! The suspension subframe in the rear, in PQ's pics is perfect. I've done it myself through that location.
Raptor626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
Raptor626
Account Suspended

Btw, dude jacking a car up from the center most location is not recommended since you're essentially putting a lot more weight on the jack than you need to. Up front, you can jack from the center of one of the cross members, BUT, be sure you use a piece of 4x4 to better distribute the weight. If you don't do this, as some members have found out, there's a good chance of denting/bending the cross member.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I jack up the rear where the sub frame meets the body. A little at a time, both sides, raising the jack stands is it goes up. It is a little time consumming.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor626 View Post
NO, not the diff! The diff's housing is aluminum, that means NO! The suspension subframe in the rear, in PQ's pics is perfect. I've done it myself through that location.
That's what I thought. So that's no go. And it's better to jack not on the center line of the car? IE these 2 sources -

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ght=floor+jack
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=53

I just keep imagining, when jacking it off center, the car falling of the jack and stands up front and falling to the side.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
Raptor626
Account Suspended

Well think about it from a physics perspective. When you jack from the center, the car is in essence trying to perform a balancing act. Instead, if you jack from one side, the tires will keep the other side from moving around and the jack stand will hold up the other side.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
Raptor626
Account Suspended

For the front, yes the center is your best bet. This is not the case for the rear though.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I've jacked up my car according to this: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=53

several times in fact. The front is hard to reach though and I used a piece of wood as a barrier between the jack and the cross member to distribute the weight. The car seemed plenty stable since it still had 3 points to balance on, rear wheels and the jack.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
ewynn9

Drives: IOM 1LT/RS
I always jack from the center in front or rear then lower it onto jack stands. I don't trust leaving weight on a jack.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor626 View Post
Well think about it from a physics perspective. When you jack from the center, the car is in essence trying to perform a balancing act. Instead, if you jack from one side, the tires will keep the other side from moving around and the jack stand will hold up the other side.
Not if the whole rear is going up at once like he is trying to do.
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewynn9 View Post
I always jack from the center in front or rear then lower it onto jack stands. I don't trust leaving weight on a jack.
I have jack stands. Where do you put your jack?
Old 11-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
has anybody actually tried asking the dealer? They have a service manual...
Old 11-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #13
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I like to live dangerously - I go straight to the diff with a square chunk on 2x12 on my floor jack pad. Then a jackstand under each side, under the rear subframe. Done it countless times, going to keep doing it.

When mine was brand new, I farted around trying to jack both sides of the rear from the approved points.... screw that, I've been jacking cars by the diff for ever. The day one breaks, I'll stop doing it. I've done it to mine so many times, it ain't going to break, and I've got the rear up in seconds and on stands instead of messing around. But that's my car, if it was somebody else's, I'd take the time, and find two jacks, just to avoid Murphy's law biting my ass on somebody elses car. On mine, I figure if that thing is that fragile and it does break.... good reason to upgrade. But it has proven so far for two years to be plenty strong. And the Vettes, GTOs.... that I've owned.... all got jacked by the diff, never a problem. If I see that somebody has actually broke a diff using a floor jack and wood, I'll certainly stop.... but I've never seen it.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #14
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I am with ya R. James.... I put a piece of wood under the diff mount on the back of the diff at the bracket... lifts right up and then put the jack stands at the rear cradle mounts infront of the rear wheels. Its not going to break the diff.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote