Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #183
SolomonAKOO

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Awesome cross member! Is that custom?
Old 03-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #184
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonAKOO View Post
Awesome cross member! Is that custom?
Thanks. I cut the stock cross member out, then programmed the flanges, installed it and welded the flanges. A few pages back (6)there is a bit of a step by step on it.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #185
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
That's pretty sweat.

Any chance of a DIY or more details out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Did a set of lighted strut covers in black with white led's for my car. Now that the consol and strut covers are done I am faced with the decision of what to do next. I have been thinking about small coil covers to go along with the billet coil mounts I have been making, that may be next but who know's.
Performance Mods: K&N Cold Air Intake | Pypes Cat-Back Exhaust | Aluminum Paddle Shifters | VaraRam Wedge | Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPC Pads | M.M. Ported Throttle Body | Kooks 1 7/8 Headers w/ High Flow Cats | Dyno Tune @ RPM
Cosmetic Mods: Rally Stripes (style1, style2, style2.2) | Splitter | Painted Calipers | Door Projector Lights | Front-Emblem Delete | Cup Holder Lighting | Quarter Window Covers | Phantom Grille | Ghosted Side Markers | Tinted Fog Lights | ZL1 Rockers | Tail Light Bezels
Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #186
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_Rejected View Post
That's pretty sweat.

Any chance of a DIY or more details out there?
There is some info on pg 6 in this link.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156348
Old 03-19-2014, 03:34 AM   #187
SolomonAKOO

Quote:
Thanks. I cut the stock cross member out, then programmed the flanges, installed it and welded the flanges. A few pages back (6)there is a bit of a step by step on it.

Thanks. Not sure how I missed that.

Question though, how thick are the flanges and also is it just as strong that way as it was stock?
Old 03-19-2014, 05:40 AM   #188
CFD

Quote:
Thanks. Not sure how I missed that.

Question though, how thick are the flanges and also is it just as strong that way as it was stock?
The flanges are machined from 1/2" thick steel plate. Although I have no way to actually test it for strength, I am quite confident it is plenty strong.

Some have asked when faced with the dilemma of removing the oil pan if it is actually needed, I think it is, this is evident when trying to remove it. If the car is jacked up from one side it doesn't come out as easily as when jacked up evenly which indicates there is stress on it.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #189
SolomonAKOO

Yeah it's needed for sure if you plan on dropping the pan at anytime. That's why I'm asking so much lol I'm planning on dropping mine and don't feel like pulling the motor out just to do it.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #190
CFD

Quote:
Yeah it's needed for sure if you plan on dropping the pan at anytime. That's why I'm asking so much lol I'm planning on dropping mine and don't feel like pulling the motor out just to do it.
In my case I let the pan hang down and can easily remove the baffle and windage tray which is what I needed. If you need to completely remove the pan you will need to unbolt the steering rack to move it slightly but its no big deal.

Why are you removing yours?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #191
ThrashMetalGuy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black
Quote:
This morning I finished a few small details on what will be my permanent plate mount. The prototype that is pictured on my car is made of aluminum, the final product is the oem plate mount cut down and fitted to the oem grille and welded in place. Here are a couple of quick pics of both the prototype and the finished one.
Nice work!!
ThrashMetalGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #192
ThrashMetalGuy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black
Quote:
I was finishing up some wiring on a custom bike I built. I sometimes use clips that fasten with double sided tape to hold wiring harnesses in place where there is no provisions for them and then it hit me. Rather than glue or weld something in place I could use the clips to hold the scoop up and make it easily removeable, it works like a charm, they hold like crazy and the scoop snaps right in place. I took a few pictures and have started the body work, now I can move on to the drl lenses and get the facia painted once and for all.
Your functional mailslot is sweet. Real nice work!! I hate that gm didn't make that functional.
ThrashMetalGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:20 AM   #193
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
bump

i just wanna say how entertained i am by reading through this thread. i dont feel so bad wasting all my time on my car now because i know you've put a thousand times more into yours and ive gotta catch up.

good work, keep it up. cant wait to see what else youve got up your sleeves
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #194
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashMetalGuy View Post
Your functional mailslot is sweet. Real nice work!! I hate that gm didn't make that functional.
Thanks, I still need to pull the bumper one more time to clean up the ducts but I'm in no hurry.lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
bump

i just wanna say how entertained i am by reading through this thread. i dont feel so bad wasting all my time on my car now because i know you've put a thousand times more into yours and ive gotta catch up.

good work, keep it up. cant wait to see what else youve got up your sleeves
Thanks. I've got a few things I'm working on, tough to find the time during riding season though.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #195
CFD

Boy I'm bummed. Now that I have time to play with some new stuff I've been working on another set back, sounds like I'm loosing another lifter, sounds like the same cylinder as the last two. I do drive it real hard, constant hole shots and 98,000 miles might have something to do with it. I'll be checking it out real soon.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #196
CFD

Had a chance to check it out, turns out it's not a lifter. Failed rocker arm. I've done the Comp trunion upgrade to it but that was about 60,000 miles ago. Bearing fell apart, it was also not the same cylinder as the previous failed lifters where on. Back together with the stock rocker but I'm changing them all and doing the trunions again as soon as they come in.