Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 08-15-2023, 03:04 PM   #1
sweet2ss

Drives: 2010 Silver 2SS
2010 SS - U0109

2010 Camaro 2SS L99 72K miles. She was in storage w/ a dead battery but recently resurrected. New battery, new OEM ACDelco fuel pump & fluids. She cranks 1st time every time, idles smooth, great throttle response, and fast. However, CEL error U0109 "Lost communication with Fuel Pump Control Module A" according to my budget blue driver OBD reader. I've reset the connection to the FPCM but error persists. That's the only code it throws - no P codes.
Any suggestions as to where to look next or do I need to get an expert involved with the high end diagnostics scanner? If so - any shops that I could trust her to in the north Atlanta / Alpharetta Georgia area? Thanks in advance - Tim

Last edited by sweet2ss; 08-15-2023 at 04:10 PM.
sweet2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 08:08 PM   #2
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
Sounds like a wiring issue when replacing the fuel pump. Did you do the work?
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 05:45 AM   #3
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
These codes are tricky. With no other codes present & the car is running fine it may resolve itself. There is too much to post here & if you need any other info let me know. It would be best to get it diagnosed with a more comprehensive scanner.

Diagnostic Aids

* Sometimes, while diagnosing a specific customer concern or after a repair, you may notice a history U-code present. However, there is no associated "current" or "active" status. Loss-of- communication U-codes such as these can set for a variety of reasons. Many times, they are transparent to the vehicle operator and technician, and/or have no associated symptoms. Eventually, they will erase themselves automatically after a number of fault-free ignition cycles. This condition would most likely be attributed to one of these scenarios:

- A device on the data communication circuit was disconnected while the communication circuit is awake.

- Power to one or more devices was interrupted during diagnosis.

- A low battery condition was present, so some devices stop communicating when battery voltage drops below a certain threshold.

- Battery power was restored to the vehicle and devices on the communication circuit did not all re-initialize at the same time.

- If a loss-of-communication U-code appears in history for no apparent reason, it is most likely associated with one of the scenarios above. These are all temporary conditions and should never be interpreted as an intermittent fault, causing you to replace a part.

* A device may have a U-code stored in history that does not require any repairs. Issues with late or corrupted messages between devices can be temporary with no apparent symptom or complaint; this does not mean the device is faulty. Do not replace a device based only on a history U-code.

* Do not replace a device reporting a U-code. The U-code identifies which device needs to be diagnosed for a communication issue.

* Communication may be available between some devices and the scan tool with either the low or high speed GMLAN serial data system inoperative. This condition is due to those devices using multiple serial data communication systems.

* Use Data Link References See: Information Bus > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview > Data Link References to determine what serial data communications the device uses.

* Some devices may not have internal protection for specific control circuits and may open a B+ or ignition fuse. If a fuse is open and the B+ or ignition circuit is not shorted to ground, ensure none of the control circuits are shorted to ground before replacing the device.

* Some intermittent communication concerns may be caused by fretting corrosion on the serial data circuit terminals. Inspect all connectors at the device that set the communication DTC, the device that the communication DTC was set against, and any inline harness connectors between the two devices. Do not replace a device based only on fretting corrosion. Refer to bulletin 09-06-03-004 for assistance with the diagnosis and repair of this condition, if applicable.

* This diagnostic can be used for any device that is not communicating, regardless of the type of serial data circuit it is connected to, providing the vehicle is equipped with the device.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 07:55 AM   #4
sweet2ss

Thanks for the suggestion Joshnmn. The U0109 code was present before I replaced the fuel pump. Yes, I did it myself - went with OEM replacement and was very careful when disconnecting old fuel pump and connecting the new one. Will double check the connections again. Thx.
Old 08-16-2023, 07:56 AM   #5
sweet2ss

Acutron42 - thanks for the detailed answer -- lots of good stuff there to check & troubleshoot. Going to start off with the more comprehensive scan this morning & will let you know what we find. Thx
Old 08-16-2023, 10:12 PM   #6
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
Please don't take my comment wrong. I'm sure you did everything correctly. Since you did it I don't have to explain what's pain in the butt it is to re-check everything
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 05:15 PM   #7
Mouse330

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2006 GMC Sierra
U0109 is not a valid code on a 5th gen Camaro. Cheap code readers a lot of time throw out erroneous codes.
Mouse330 is offline   Reply With Quote