Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
NoynuR

Drives: 2008 M3 ESS Supercharged 650Hp
Weird sounds coming from my Z

I get a weird clicking sound when my clutch is dis engaged and I'm at a stand still. Also a kinda whining or humming sound when I do sharp turns. Any ideas of what it is? Not too familiar with the problems of This car, I'm guessing there isn't a lot of them.
NoynuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...owners have posted several threads about noises on the ZL1. Yes, it's not your father's Oldsmobile<pun, humor>. The transmision and all moving parts associated with it, rear axle assembly, and super charger....emit noise at varying frequencies at different times and points of operation with the car. If something gets louder and persistant over use, then you have an issue.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
It is most likely the rear end, the lsd will make noise when turn. I looked at the other thread about the noise. Mine was doing the same thing. I changed the fuild and it remained. I stopped by my dealer and talked with my service manager since I was picking up some LSD lube. He said he has seen this alot and wanted to show me something about it.

We took my ZL1 out for a ride with the Service Manager driving. Every turn it moaned or whinned. He then went to an empty part of the parking lot and turn the steering all the way to the left and started doing circles after about 8-10 circles (I lost count) he stopped and then did the same thing to the right. Noise was gone after he finished. He stated that he has seen this alot and what happens is in normal driving the clutches do not get enough lube and by doing the circles it put pressure on the cluches and gets them all lubed up.

Then today I was tell a good friend that owns a repair show next my business and he said he does all the time with his race car to ensure the clutches are working correctly. He also said adding to much additional lube will cause the clutches to slip.
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Silverguardrail

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1448
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgdave View Post
It is most likely the rear end, the lsd will make noise when turn. I looked at the other thread about the noise. Mine was doing the same thing. I changed the fuild and it remained. I stopped by my dealer and talked with my service manager since I was picking up some LSD lube. He said he has seen this alot and wanted to show me something about it.

We took my ZL1 out for a ride with the Service Manager driving. Every turn it moaned or whinned. He then went to an empty part of the parking lot and turn the steering all the way to the left and started doing circles after about 8-10 circles (I lost count) he stopped and then did the same thing to the right. Noise was gone after he finished. He stated that he has seen this alot and what happens is in normal driving the clutches do not get enough lube and by doing the circles it put pressure on the cluches and gets them all lubed up.

Then today I was tell a good friend that owns a repair show next my business and he said he does all the time with his race car to ensure the clutches are working correctly. He also said adding to much additional lube will cause the clutches to slip.
Great information, thanks !

ZL1 - the true definition of joy ride
Silverguardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
^ True all that. As I posted before an on another thread about the rear axle noise. Sometimes the posi traction friction additive is missed. If so, it makes sounds from the rear axle that may be alarming. Once added, and it mixes into the gear lube and reaches operating temperature it wiill eliminate the issue straight away. If one has a harsh chatter, or excessive loud noise when turning emitting from the rear axle then this is likely the malady.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoynuR View Post
I get a weird clicking sound when my clutch is dis engaged and I'm at a stand still. Also a kinda whining or humming sound when I do sharp turns. Any ideas of what it is? Not too familiar with the problems of This car, I'm guessing there isn't a lot of them.

You can always get this diagnosed at a dealership. Have you had a chance to get over to your service department?

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service