Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #15
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
If you are wanting long tube headers without a tune you have a couple options
1 - go with any long tube header and cats and expect and deal with a check engine light
2 - go with a long tune header that fits one of the newer green cats. This will cost a few hundred more but won't cause cel's

Realize with both you will not be getting the most out of the mods and you WILL NOT be running ideally. You are basically choosing to risk damaging your engine by not tuning and in turn not running optimally to maintain a warranty. To me it doesnt make sense to "run poorly in order to maintain warranty". You also have to realize that the headers are going to void a portion of the warranty and should an issue arise you still may be faced with an uphill battle to have something covered under warranty.

Even with a tune many dealerships cover repairs that do not need to be approved by gm. The majority of repairs don't require imaging of the ecu and dealers typically just overlook the tune.

Personally i would never ask a service manager. He doesn't make policy and he may not be there when something goes wrong. If you do, ask him to put his answer in writing and see how fast he back tracks. Asking the service manager is just asking for a he said she said scenario down the road. And when the time comes he's going to be more interested in keeping his job than his word

To me you're either in or out. Keep it stock, or mod and tune. There isn't a middle ground.

your asking the right questions! I was recently looking at the green cats to avoid a tune, but after extensive research I felt the smart choice was tune.

To answer your question. Yes lt's are a great first mod.

My first mods were cai, pfadt headers, and a canned tune and I gained 43 rwhp. I know this for a fact as I did ore and post install dynos. Probably 50-60 to the flywheel
Thank you very much. I am actually very good friends with the service manager at my dealer as we were advisors together at my Honda store for awhile. I'll see what he would be willing to overlook in the future and go from there.

Again, thank you SO much for the awesome reply!
1LE801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #16
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post
I'm in the same boat with you - don't want to void a warranty on my 14 that I just bought on 12/07/13. I added a K&N CAI and my next will be shorty headers. They won't pack the performance of long tubes but the shorty's don't need a tune and won't throw CEL alarms as they bolt up to the stock cats, and you should get 10 or more RWHP...plus a little more tone from the stock exhaust. I was going to do a cat back or axel back, but as stated - that upgrade is mostly for sound and does not add to performance. Once I have miles and a few yrs burnt from the factory warranty - that's when I will do more intensive performance mods.....this car is my daily driver and that's my 1st priority.
Please don't waste your time with shorty headers. If you don't want to void your warranty, don't touch the car period. There's the right way to do things, and then there's wasting time and money.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #17
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
Please don't waste your time with shorty headers. If you don't want to void your warranty, don't touch the car period. There's the right way to do things, and then there's wasting time and money.
Well - after doing more homework here, I'm going to go with the Solo HF cats instead of the shorty headers. From what I've read here and at the Solo web site - they will not require a tune or throw CEL's.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #18
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post
Well - after doing more homework here, I'm going to go with the Solo HF cats instead of the shorty headers. From what I've read here and at the Solo web site - they will not require a tune or throw CEL's.
Good choice. I went the same route you did. I got HF cats first, then LT's. The only thing that sucked, is that the HF Cats will not mate to the LT's,so it's "money wasted", but I was able to turn a profit by selling them. But you're keeping your warranty for a while so you will be fine.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #19
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Good choice. I went the same route you did. I got HF cats first, then LT's. The only thing that sucked, is that the HF Cats will not mate to the LT's,so it's "money wasted", but I was able to turn a profit by selling them. But you're keeping your warranty for a while so you will be fine.
I have jba HF cats, if I were to get jba Lt headers would they pair up?
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #20
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
^ this is the type of advice that made me realize tuning is the option for me if I go with long tunes. Long tubes without a tune, although due able, is not the right way
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #21
Way Too Fast Motorsports

Drives: 349 Stroker E85 Powered Miata
kooks make long tubes with HFC that bolt right up to stock catback. they are kinda expensive though. I would suggest tuning it with the LT either way. If you have to do a warranty claim you are gonna want to remove ALL aftermarket parts and flash back to stock if you want them warranty something big without going to court. Been there done that.
Way Too Fast Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #22
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Thanks. As you said I want my warranty to last but it gives me time to save as once it expires, a procharger is what is planned. Had one on my 03 Vette I used to own and it performed great and made it a fun drive. Ran like a normal car until WOT - then hold on. Not looking for my car to be the fastest around, just needs to be fast enough for me when I need it.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #23
wer2foxs

Drives: 2010 VR SS
Quote:
Well back to the drawing board. That's what I was going to do.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #24
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wer2foxs View Post
Well back to the drawing board. That's what I was going to do.
You were planning on going with HF cats? I think I saw your other thread. My honest opinion, I focused on cosmetic stuff first, and if I was to do it all over again when I first got my car, I would do performance first. So if I were you, I would get your Headers and exhaust, because if you get the Ground effects package, you will be limited to the type of exhaust systems you can run. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #25
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
I have jba HF cats, if I were to get jba Lt headers would they pair up?
I don't think so. Longtube headers are substantially longer than the factory manifolds, and the headers actually relocate position of the 02 sensors, so the only way you would be able to get them to pair up, is to cut and modify your cats, or your headers. And that would take a lot of fabrication that I Don't think you want to do.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #26
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
^ this is the type of advice that made me realize tuning is the option for me if I go with long tunes. Long tubes without a tune, although due able, is not the right way
I ran around with Longtube headers/no tune for 3 months, only because I wanted to have my car tuned in my home state with a tuner I trusted. If I were to do it over again, any time I do any performance mod, I would head straight to the dyno.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #27
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE801 View Post
With the high cost of cat back exhaust systems, would it be beneficial to put headers on my 14 1LE as my first performance upgrade?
If you get shorties with the mid pipes as well it's about 30HP
Most get one or the other but they were meant to go together

Look up Padre on the fast list to see its true

And you don't need a tune
LT's better but don't. Sleep on the shorties w mid pipes
Old 01-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #28
honor first
MURICA!

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
If you don't want the check engine light to come on though, you'll have to spring the extra cash for Kooks Green Cats.
vibrant o2 spacers are supposedly 100% effective. I have them sitting at home to put on, will report.
AFE Intake, Stainless Power Headers + HFC, BadlanzHPE Electric Cutouts. 315/275 Nittos, Wheels. Debadged, Cosmetic Mods, Sound System, More
honor first is offline   Reply With Quote