Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 07-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
Demon Hunter

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LT
Turbonetics Turbo News & more....

So for those of you who are curious. I was at the Turbonetics open house this past weekend (by the way, thank you to Brad and the guys at Turbonetics, the meet was awesome!). Anyway, I had the pleasure of spending a few minutes talking to Jahme (sp) who is the head of development and design there for a few minutes and ask him some v6 questions. He said they tried to develop a kit for the V6 but ran in to the same problems that everyone else is having with the fueling (mainly the high pressure pumps) and they decided to scrap it and not develop one because of it. He also said that it was a shame because he felt the 3.6 is a better designed engine and has more potential than the V8 counter part.

After a few other passing questions he also mentioned that Bosch has been working with GM a bit recently to get the Leno car working (it's still not running as of right now) and that they still have not had luck with coming up with a valid solution for the fueling issue either & that if they can't do it, they're isn't much luck for us out there... :(

Anyway, just thought some of you guys might want to hear whats going on out there.

Last edited by Demon Hunter; 07-18-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Demon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Hunter View Post
So for those of you who are curious. I was at the Turbonetics open house this past weekend (by the way, thank you to Brad and the guys at Turbonetics, the meet was awesome!). Anyway, I had the pleasure of spending a few minutes talking to Jahme (sp) who is the head of development and design there for a few minutes and ask him some v6 questions. He said they tried to develop a kit for the V6 but ran in to the same problems that everyone else is having with the fueling (mainly the high pressure pumps) and they decided to scrap it and not develop one because of it. He also said that it was a shem because he felt the 3.6 is a better designed engine and has more potential than the V8 counter part.

After a few other passing questions he also mentioned that Bosch has been working with GM a bit recently to get the Leno car working (it's still not running as of right now) and that they still have not had luck with coming up with a valid solution for the fueling issue either & that if they can't do it, they're isn't much luck for us out there... :(

Anyway, just thought some of you guys might want to hear whats going on out there.
thanks for the info... just confirms what some of my little birdies have been telling me right along... :(
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Maybe RX and/or IPS will be talking to Mr. Leno shortly!
Old 07-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
jackka

Drives: 2011 Black/Black 2LT/RS M6 w/Sroof
Is it just me or is it kind of strange that the companies are now working together to bring the car to a working condition years after it had been originally introduced(ironically not described as non-working)?

I remember jay leno describing the car with its hood open saying something along the lines of 'having the power of the v8 yet retaining the efficiency of the v6 when not under boost.'

It would have made for a few good chuckles a few years ago if they had told us that this certain silver-colored car actually DOESN'T WORK and maybe a few years down the road they'll see if they can do something about making it work...

Oh, by the way, the v6 engine is going to be entirely replaced and for all we know LLT owners are most likely just going to be permanently stuck with turbo options that can not go over 5.0 psi boost or produce any kind of real world-performance any better than the stock v8.

It is such a letdown because the idea of a V6 that can actually outperform a V8 on pavement, not on a dyno sheet, is such an enticing and promising vision and after years of hoping and waiting it's probably not going to happen. at least not with the LLT.
jackka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
It is already happening, and has been for the past 6 months. Follow Gretchens progress.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
jackka

Drives: 2011 Black/Black 2LT/RS M6 w/Sroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
It is already happening, and has been for the past 6 months. Follow Gretchens progress.
Yeah, I respect the work you guys are doing with gretchen. But I just don't think the turbo on the LLT is ever going to be nearly as good as I had hoped.

I do hope that I'll be proven wrong in the future and there will be a turbo kit for the LLT that brings it over the real-world performance of a stock V8.

Hell, I'll have it put on my own dang car. the 0-60 times I've seen tested/claimed for the SS is ranging from 4.6 to 5.0 . so, anything under 5.0 would be quite worth the install in my eyes.
jackka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I have a feeling we will be seeing some pretty fast FI'd V6 cameros soon. Don't think 380 to 400 rwhp is the wall and thats it.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Nothing but respect to tracy and their build but how hard was it for somebody to come out with a bigger HPFP and/or injectors? You mean to tell me that even GM had a problem coming out with a solution that they are just now trying to get leno's car straight? What am I missing? is it that hard for someone to market a bigger fuel pump and injectors? Usually when there's an option for turbo there's bigger injectors and fuel pump.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Well I'm sure Leno has lots of interests and I don't think GM is going to make it a top-level effort without him. Yes, designing a good HPFP appears to be complicated. Remember, they run off the cam shaft and so their ability to pump depends on engine speed. That is nothing like the in-tank pumps that are electric and simply need more juice. It appears to be tricky to deliver the proper amount of fuel at all RPMs with a mechanical pump. GM could definetly do it, but there isn't the interest (should be in our minds though). It will take small companies like RX and IPS a little longer to work it out.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Well I'm sure Leno has lots of interests and I don't think GM is going to make it a top-level effort without him. Yes, designing a good HPFP appears to be complicated. Remember, they run off the cam shaft and so their ability to pump depends on engine speed. That is nothing like the in-tank pumps that are electric and simply need more juice. It appears to be tricky to deliver the proper amount of fuel at all RPMs with a mechanical pump. GM could definetly do it, but there isn't the interest (should be in our minds though). It will take small companies like RX and IPS a little longer to work it out.
+1
Most of the advances we see in all things are created by small companies and then the big ones just buy it out. I really beleive these guys will get it worked out, because they have the will.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
It always seem there's that one more bump that gets in the way with our LLT right? but im glad to see those bumps are going away one by one, slowly but surely
Old 07-23-2011, 03:08 AM   #12
Steppenwolf1980

Drives: Chevy Camaro & Opel Speedster Turbo
And why can't you just hang in a second (electrical) fuel pump covering the peaks, whenever the genuine fuel pump is on its limit? A lot of cars work like that over here.
Steppenwolf1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #13
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
There are no electric pumps that can deliver 2800-3600 PSI. We are machining an adator kit to be able to bolt on a replacement racing DI pump so if Leno wants his solved we can do it...
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
There are no electric pumps that can deliver 2800-3600 PSI. We are machining an adator kit to be able to bolt on a replacement racing DI pump so if Leno wants his solved we can do it...
you are the man I know who I would call if I need turbo. The ghostbuster song just came through my head lol