Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
tahoe vs yukon vs ??? HELP!

I am in need within the next few months of perhaps trading in my camaro for a more family friendly car. I am thinking of upgrading to a large SUV because I want to own this for a long time.

I have been researching for a while and have a hard time depicting a few things.

1) What is the main difference between the tahoe and yukon line?
So far...all I got is that GM MSRP tends to be a little higher, but nothing else different besides badging.

2) 2013 vs 2014 vs 2015 models??
I am looking at the LTZ models and Denali models. Of course the 2013's are the cheapest, but they also seem to cover everything that the 2014's and 2015's offer. I feel like I should just buy a 2013 at the deeply discounted price since it has everything the others do besides upgraded "styling" and perhaps some improved performance. I'm sure I could even negotiate a lower price than what they are deeply discounting 2013's at.

3) Am I overlooking other large SUV's like the sequoia or expedition?
I really like the styling and appearance of the chevy/GM large suv's, but maybe I am being to tunnel visioned.

Any advice would help. I am a noob when it comes to large SUV's.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I like this one...

Name:  -2464316901079041378_4x.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  311.2 KB
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Jonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
I like this one...

Attachment 565770
For some reason I just keep thinking of a firetruck.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
StreetSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I don't think there is much difference between any of those (except the reworked 2015 model). My 2011 has just about the same options as the new ones except maybe a heated steering wheel and cooled seats. Save yourself $5k and get the LT. With all the options on the LT (4WD, nav, entertainment center, etc.), it is about $5k less than the LTZ and doesn't have all that ridiculous chrome. Plus the larger wheels on the LTZ are not as good in the snow or off road. My Tahoe has been a great ride.
StreetSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Jonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSS View Post
I don't think there is much difference between any of those (except the reworked 2015 model). My 2011 has just about the same options as the new ones except maybe a heated steering wheel and cooled seats. Save yourself $5k and get the LT. With all the options on the LT (4WD, nav, entertainment center, etc.), it is about $5k less than the LTZ and doesn't have all that ridiculous chrome. Plus the larger wheels on the LTZ are not as good in the snow or off road. My Tahoe has been a great ride.
Good call...The only reason I mentioned getting a LTZ/Denali really was because they obviously dont make 2013 models anymore. So getting a custom 2013 like yours would be hard. But if I were going with a newer model I guess I could save some moola by getting a custom LT version.

So it seems like if I get a new model get LT with upgrades I want (which makes sense).

Plus it pisses me off that the LTZ "chrome" isnt really chrome either. sigh.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonster View Post
For some reason I just keep thinking of a firetruck.
This was special ordered. They didn't make the 2007 and up Tahoes, Suburbans, or Yukons in victory red.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
If you are looking fullsize, the GM choices are the way to go IMHO. The Sequoia has seen no real changes since 07 and suffers horribly in MPG compared to the others and the Tundra/Sequoia haven't proven to be the most well built vehicles out there. The powertrains in the Ford are heavily outdated as is the expedition basically all around. There is supposed to be a refreshed or new model model for 15 which should finally ditch the old 5.4, but there is no real information on it yet. The Nissan Armada is another choice, but like the other 2 it suffers from an outdated drivetrain. the 15 Tahoe/Yukon are basically completely new and should bring over GMs new range of engines that should provide considerably imrpoved power and FE, a nicer better put together interior, and should just plain drive better and probably be lighter on the new platform. The 13s and 14s should be basically identical to each other. Kind of another possibility if you don't mind going a little smaller is the 14 Durango. It has refreshed styling, a better quality interior, and finally gets the 8 speed auto behind both the Pentastar V6 and the Hemi, but it is smaller.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
GM basically dominates the full size SUV market for a reason.

I'd hold out for a 2015 by the way. The K2XXs look so much better built than the GMT-900s.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
Jonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I'd hold out for a 2015 by the way. The K2XXs look so much better built than the GMT-900s.
It's hard to decide because of the great deals on the older models. The 2015's do look nice, but I guess it comes down to whether the styling outweighs the difference in price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Kind of another possibility if you don't mind going a little smaller is the 14 Durango. It has refreshed styling, a better quality interior, and finally gets the 8 speed auto behind both the Pentastar V6 and the Hemi, but it is smaller.
I was looking at the durango. Interior is great, but exterior is not so great in my opinion. I haven't test drove one yet though so I'll still check it out.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
StreetSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Good call...The only reason I mentioned getting a LTZ/Denali really was because they obviously dont make 2013 models anymore. So getting a custom 2013 like yours would be hard. But if I were going with a newer model I guess I could save some moola by getting a custom LT version.

So it seems like if I get a new model get LT with upgrades I want (which makes sense).

Plus it pisses me off that the LTZ "chrome" isnt really chrome either. sigh.
I found my '11 in Oct 2011 with the upgrades. Lots of the LTs I saw were pretty much fully loaded, so you may be able to find one. Plus I got it for ~$8k off with 0%. The only thing I don't like about the Tahoe is the third row seats which have to be removed vs. folded. But that is only a pain a couple of times a year when I need to remove them to haul large items. I think the 2015 has folding 3rd row seats.
StreetSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
The deals are very good on GMT-900s, but I remember when the 2014 trucks arrived on dealer lots. I was sitting in a Silverado and the salesman mentioned how good the deals were on 2013s. I told him after experiencing a new Silverado, he'd have to pay me to take a 2013.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
I am in need within the next few months of perhaps trading in my camaro for a more family friendly car. I am thinking of upgrading to a large SUV because I want to own this for a long time.

I have been researching for a while and have a hard time depicting a few things.

1) What is the main difference between the tahoe and yukon line?
So far...all I got is that GM MSRP tends to be a little higher, but nothing else different besides badging.

2) 2013 vs 2014 vs 2015 models??
I am looking at the LTZ models and Denali models. Of course the 2013's are the cheapest, but they also seem to cover everything that the 2014's and 2015's offer. I feel like I should just buy a 2013 at the deeply discounted price since it has everything the others do besides upgraded "styling" and perhaps some improved performance. I'm sure I could even negotiate a lower price than what they are deeply discounting 2013's at.

3) Am I overlooking other large SUV's like the sequoia or expedition?
I really like the styling and appearance of the chevy/GM large suv's, but maybe I am being to tunnel visioned.

Any advice would help. I am a noob when it comes to large SUV's.
I'm in the same boat as you--looking to swap one of our cars for a full-size SUV. I only will buy GM. The 2015s are gorgeous and are all-around better trucks but 2013s are so deeply discounted now, I feel like it's tough to justify spending $15,000 on top of that to get a 2015. I would even think about a lightly used 2012 or 2013 LTZ to save even more. But honestly, I would not look too closely at the 2015 because if you do, you're gonna want one real bad.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
Jonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you--looking to swap one of our cars for a full-size SUV. I only will buy GM. The 2015s are gorgeous and are all-around better trucks but 2013s are so deeply discounted now, I feel like it's tough to justify spending $15,000 on top of that to get a 2015. I would even think about a lightly used 2012 or 2013 LTZ to save even more. But honestly, I would not look too closely at the 2015 because if you do, you're gonna want one real bad.
you're right. I'm not in love with the new styling of the 2015's, but the new features seem very cool. I need to stop looking at them!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #14
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Supposedly the GMC has a little better ride..15's way to go, but may not fit your time lines. I had 10 Tahoe LTZ and my kids are still mad I sold that thing the 2nd row captain’s chairs, dvd, heated 2d row seats. Like stated before, pulling out the 3d row was a pain in the ((((. The 15's fixed it.

Last edited by ssrs2lt; 10-18-2013 at 10:13 AM.
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote