Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 10-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
DaveA

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS vert
These are the infamous rub marks, yes? Warranty work?

Guys,

I bought a 2013 brand new in August 2013. That's the end of the summer season here in Mass, so I only used the convertible a handful of times. I used it a lot this year. Probably about a month ago I noticed these marks starting to appear. Pictures attached.

The only way these can be fixed is to replace the top?

I'm not going to deal with it until next year. I'm just over a year into the warranty and not even at 10,000 miles. It's going into storage in November. Even if I can get it fixed soon, I won't be able to test things until next year. I just assume wait.

I'll tell you this. My dealings with GM on this repair work will dictate whether or not I ever buy a GM vehicle again. My wife and I are 37 and 35. We have many years of car buying ahead of us and we like to buy brand new. I don't care how nice the next generation is. I'm loyal to a T and I will abandon GM if they don't do right by me. I have no issues fighting tooth and nail to get the work done but if I have to do that, this is the latest GM car I will own.

Any recommended dealers in Mass/NH/CT/RI. I will travel for the right place.

Thanks.

Dave
Attached Images

DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
dustyr

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT convert
rub marks are wear marks

Your top just needs a cleaning and some protectant.
dustyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
I'll tell you this. My dealings with GM on this repair work will dictate whether or not I ever buy a GM vehicle again. My wife and I are 37 and 35. We have many years of car buying ahead of us and we like to buy brand new. I don't care how nice the next generation is. I'm loyal to a T and I will abandon GM if they don't do right by me. I have no issues fighting tooth and nail to get the work done but if I have to do that, this is the latest GM car I will own.
Stating a threat to us about not buying something if you have to fight a fight you don't know that you have to fight yet doesn't affect your issue one way or another but it does give me some insight about your outlook on things. But that's a personal relationship you have between you and your favorite diety. I don't care what car you buy or stop buying. Just so you know.

To your issue, you need to look for actual RUB marks. You can tell these are different than wrinkling/dirt/touch marks. Your pictures aren't close enough to determine fiber rubbing, but that's what you need to look for.

But I agree with dustyr, you need to CLEAN your top first so you can do a thorough inspection. Maybe pop it with some protectant to ensure water keeps beading off of it collecting less dirt, which could contribute to rubbing (can act like sandpaper grit between the folds). If you can get the search button here to work correctly, visit some pages with pictures of people that actually have rub marks.

Good luck, and hopefully if you do have top issues, that GM resolves them to your satisfaction.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
DaveA

Cool! Thanks for the responses. I will give it a cleaning and put some protectant on. I will be very pleased if that is all it is.

el ess A: I'll be first to admit I'm wrong if I am in fact wrong. It seems every issue that comes up these days is something I have to fight to get fixed (not GM, specifically, I admit). I just bought my wife a certified preowned Lexus and went through hell trying to get a rock chip fixed on the door.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
You do have an issue that definitely needs addressing. I noticed the two pieces of weatherstrip sticking out at the corners of the rear side windows. They are not supposed to be seen with the top up.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
VOLmanTN
Go Vols!

Drives: 2011
I don't think that is normal. I have several light wear marks but they don't follow the entire bow of the roof.
VOLmanTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
You do have an issue that definitely needs addressing. I noticed the two pieces of weatherstrip sticking out at the corners of the rear side windows. They are not supposed to be seen with the top up.
This is the only issue I see.

You definitely do need to clean/brush and then apply protectant to the top. The bow marks look like the top was put down when dusty/dirty. I wouldn't say I see anything worrisome yet, aside from the weatherstripping.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I agree with everyone about getting it cleaned and protected first.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLmanTN View Post
I don't think that is normal. I have several light wear marks but they don't follow the entire bow of the roof.
I get those if my top has not been cleaned for a while and I have it down for an extended drive. Mine does sit outside 24/7 so it does get dirtier than one that gets garaged.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #10
DaveA

In regards to the weather stripping, you guys are referring to the piece of rubber hanging out? I read elsewhere on the forum that some people just push it back in with their finger because they don't want to get work done to their top and risk having more problems. What are your thoughts on that? Thanks.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
In regards to the weather stripping, you guys are referring to the piece of rubber hanging out? I read elsewhere on the forum that some people just push it back in with their finger because they don't want to get work done to their top and risk having more problems. What are your thoughts on that? Thanks.
If it does not bother you to do that you can, but the extra strain on that piece will eventually cause it to start tearing. That is what happened to mine on my original top. I did find a way to fix it. I tapered the back half so it slides by the trim piece using a sanding drum attachment on my dremel. Since it is squared off on the back edge as designed it catches on the outside trim piece when you put the top up.