Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
card21doc

Drives: 13 Hotwheels Camaro 2SS
are there any 20" all-weather tires out there?

I've searched a couple of sites, and I don't see any 20" all weather tires. The summer tires are only good in warm weather. When it's cold, they are useless. I think it would be stupid to have to buy an extra set of tires and wheels to run 4-5 months of the year. Might force me to go to the LT instead of the SS.
card21doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
GM4LIFE
*KissMySS*13 my other 1/2

Drives: 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE
I AGREE
GM4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
here ya go
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0PSXXL&place=1
Old 10-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
Carpy

Drives: 1998 Z28
all season tires

Does anybody know why there's only "summer" tires offered on the SS? Is it because there isn't any 20" all-seasons available yet or is it because the SS is like the Vette and just doesn't go in the snow? I live in Massachusetts and I need to drive this car year round. There's an article on Cheverolet.com talking about the extensive cold weather/snow testing GM has done in northern Sweden and the 18" wheels come with all-season tires so I guess the camaro should go allright. Just seems odd.
Carpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #5
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
I'm going to rant a little here so just ignore my post if you don't want to read it...

First off, you are buying a 400+hp V8 rear-wheel drive sports car with gobs of torque!

When the roads are dry and the temps aren't near freezing, you are likely going to drive the car like it was meant to be driven. To be able to handle that kind of driving, you are going to want the summer tires for maximum grip and handling.

If you live where it snows a lot and temps get below freezing frequently, then you need to do 1 of 2 things. Either buy a second set of tires for winter weather or get a different car for winter driving. Every family member of mine that lives in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Montana, and Washington has a second set of winter tires for their cars and trucks. It's part of living in those areas and is the smart way to keep yourself and others on the road safe.

For those that are complaining about having a hard time finding performance winter tires in 20" sizes, consider buying all season sport truck / SUV tires for your Camaro. You will find that they do come in a variety of fat 20" sizes and are relatively cheap compared to what you'll spend for regular performance tires in that size. You will have to live with a lower speed rating, which shouldn't matter because how many of you will be driving over 130mph IN THE SNOW, let alone in the summer?

Personally, I think GM is making the right choice by only offering summer tires on the 20" wheels. For most of the US, these tires will work fine for most, if not all, of the year. For GM to also offer all-season tires would have required additional time & money in testing plus additional supply costs, which frankly, they really can't afford right now.

So, if you can't afford to buy your own second set of tires for winter weather driving because you happen to live where you'll need them, then you probably shouldn't be considering spending $25k-$35k on a new Camaro. Tires, like brakes and oil changes, are one of the ongoing maintenance items that you have to budget for when you buy a car. There is no avoiding the expense.

I'm done ranting now. I'm just tired of people not thinking and expecting GM to offer everything under the sun on the new Camaro while still keeping it affordable.

Happy motoring!
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
Carpy

Drives: 1998 Z28
Winter tires for the SS

Like I said, on cheverolet.com in the camaro section there is an article telling about the extensive cold/snow testing GM has done. They even mention snow tires. Why tell us about it if they aren't going to offer them. I've been driving my 1998 Z28 for 10 years with all season goodyears, the same kind that came stock on the car with no problems and the all seasons come on the 18" wheels overed on the LS/LT models. That's why I thought Chevy just might offer an alternitive.
Carpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
The anecdotal story on the Chevy.com website about testing the Camaro in Sweden was probably put up to make you feel like you were part of the development process rather than to say the Camaro is a great snow car.

I'd be willing to bet that their testing was more focused about how ABS and stability/traction control systems handled slippery conditions than it was on cold weather testing of winter tires.

Besides, comparing the tires shown on the cars tested in Sweden with those on the production SS pictures, the tread patterns look very similar.

rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I have heard that Pirelli will be providing PZero Nero or Rosso series tires for the Camaro.

Pirelli offers the PZero Nero M+S tire which is an Ultra high performance all season tire, and offered in sizes that will fit the SS. I had these tires on my 99 TA and let me tell you they work GREAT in all weather, you are obviously giving up a little to true summer tires, but they do the job VERY well.

I hope these are an offering on the SS, if not I may just buy and replace them when I take delivery of the car and sell the stock tires as "new", as I will be driving this car year round, and Im not spending $1000+ on a set of snow tires and rims for the 2-3 days a year it actually snows here.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #9
CamaroSSforme
Got my two

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - RJT/Black
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSSforme
Pirelli is also the only company that sells snow/winter tires in a matched pair that will fit the Camaro, although you have to go with 245/50/20 up front to do that.

This might change before they come out, but I did 4 hours worth of research here and couldn't find others.
CamaroSSforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:23 AM   #10
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
The PARADA Spec-X is Yokohama Tire’s Street/Sport Truck All-Season radial developed for performance pickups and SUVs, as well as modern muscle cars like the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Dodge Magnum.

Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
Riderover40

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2SS LS3 w/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by card21doc View Post
I've searched a couple of sites, and I don't see any 20" all weather tires. The summer tires are only good in warm weather. When it's cold, they are useless. I think it would be stupid to have to buy an extra set of tires and wheels to run 4-5 months of the year. Might force me to go to the LT instead of the SS.
I priced several sets of 20" winters just in case I had trouble getting 18" rims to fit........ I ended up with 18's and good snows. I live in southern Ontario, Canada and no matter what version of Camaro I would have purchased would have gotten winters only! There is no excuse for trying to save dollars when your own or somebody elses life may depend on you stopping quickly or manouvering out os the way on slick surfaces. I spent $1680 CAD and am every bit happy for it. These tires combined with GM's ABS, second gen traction control and stabilitrac put FWD to shame ! I couldn't compare my 2000 SS winter abilities to how this SS performs on snow covered roads. Dude, spend the money, get the secutity!
Roto Fab CAI, Magnacharger MP2300, Kooks HO SS 1-7/8" LT's, Kook's Catted Connectors, Corsa SS Dual Rear Exit Cat-Back for A6 with Lasered Livernois Signature 4" Dual Wall Exit Pipes, Barton Short Throw. 546 RWHP 517 RWT

This Car Rocks !! "Bring It On" GT-500
Riderover40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #12
BluZed06

Drives: 2009 SIM 2SS
Riderover40;

What kind and what size tires did you end up buying? I have a deposit on a 2SS that I'm supposed to pick up next week, but I still need to make a decision on winter tires.
BluZed06 is offline   Reply With Quote