Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Onetime

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Step by step instructions cam install LS1

I found step by step instructions on how to do a cam swap on a LS1 forum and was wondering if it would be the same instructions for doing a LS3 cam swap on my 2010 Camaro.

If anyone knows the differences from the LS1 install to an LS3 cam swap install could you please point them out or if anyone knows of a detailed step by step instruction for a 2010 Camaro LS3 cam swap that would also be helpful.

LS1 cam and valve swap instructions
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
Onetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Go Fast Kid

Drives: Camaro 2010 SS LS7 427ci
LS3 cam swap

Just completed a cam swap in the LS3. Purchased Comp cams 3 bolt cam. About the only differences you will encounter is the three bolt cam needs the chain guide replaced which requires the oil pump to be removed which requires the oil pan to be dropped. Consider purchasing a single bolt cam and save yourself the grief.

The LS3 has offset intake valves, the LS1 does not, so you will need a valve spring removal tool from Lingenfelter or Crane Cams to replace the springs.

The LS3 motor in the C5 requires the fans and radiator to be removed and the condenser coils to be slid out of the way.

Thats about the only differences.
Go Fast Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
Onetime

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
My dealer said they would do it for $700-$800 and warranty it if I used a GM performance cam, but I think I am going to do the work myself. Plus I am not impressed with the GM cams that I have to choose from, so forget about the warranty.
Onetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #4
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
Those are the main instructions I used. I used 5/16 oak dowel rod instead of the steel lifter tool they recommend, the lifters stayed up in their trays but it worked great as a safety precaution. The harmonic balancer was a pain in the arse but just make sure you take your time and follow the directions. They don't tell you to check your lifter preload in the howto but it was highly recommended by my vendor. It's easy to do just ask when your near that step.

As for the tensioner, I've read various threads on multiple boards about the the current design. I'm probably mistaken but I believe it is used in all the current GM V8 applications and has failed both as stock (single bolt cam) and with a 3-bolt cam (supposedly due to a pitch change on the gear).

I guess I'm gonna gamble because it looked great when I changed the cam and I'm sure plenty of 3-bolt cam changes are out there with the same setup without any problem.

Good luck and if you haven't found a vendor/tuner, give Jannetty Racing a call..great people and excellent customer service!

Last edited by ColdCamaroSS; 06-04-2010 at 01:17 AM. Reason: spelling
ColdCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
Jon@Texas-Speed

Drives: 01 SS Camaro / 07 Silverado
LS1howto is a good guide to installing a cam or even heads cam. There are a few differences between those motors and these but nothing crazy. Nothing that a quick search can't find you the info. to. That's actually the site I used for my first cam install several years ago.

You're always welcome to give us a call as well with any questions you might have and we can get you fixed up!

Jon
Jon@Texas-Speed is offline   Reply With Quote