Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-31-2016, 09:21 AM   #1
Blackpearl_slomaro

Drives: 11' black SS m6
Cam fitment

Alright so I know the question already why this cam? In the fall I plan to Destroke the ls3 along with either some Frankenstein heads or mast black labels. Found a great deal on a set of Frankenstein stage 2's. Hopefully my pic of the cam card uploads. Anyway it isn't a lift monster but the questionable part is the duration. It's a cam motion grind btw. Also stinks it doesn't have advertised duration listed
Attached Images

Blackpearl_slomaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
I don't really get what you're asking in this post? Do you want feedback on that cam? Specs do look wack to me especially for a smaller displacement engine but I'm not an expert on cams nor do I have any experience with de-stroker builds (and neither will the vast majority of people on this forum). I'd expect PTV clearance issues depending on what you have planned for the bottom end. Was this a custom grind that was spec'd for you? If so I'd have that person explain why they spec'd it the way they did instead of asking us.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold

Last edited by Joseph1LE; 08-31-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
Blackpearl_slomaro

I was looking for a large duration with a large overlap to help on top end. I was looking to install it on the stock motor for now for tits and giggles.. I was wondering on ptv clearance with the large duration. It isn't a lift monster but the duration is the kicker
Old 08-31-2016, 06:28 PM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
If your destroking the engine some for higher RPM usage I could see doing that cam some and that increases the PTV distance a lot so you should not have to worry: but your duration numbers are pretty large ( its the 240.1 and 252.4 and more than I think I would want as your at 240/252 thats the numbers on that cam card.....and that's a lot of duration with about .626 lift and exhaust for street manors and so yes more a gas hog type of cam and bound to be low on vacuum for the brakes and such with a 112 LSA it should make some power kind of a Polluter cam./nightfarty..LOL But the PTV on a stock engine I don't know about how it deals with it and your overlap that's something that you should talk to Cam motion about if the cams meant so much more for a destroked engine being that its so long of duration more of a racing cam. And low on vacuum for brakes can be trouble for some down low if its a daily and you might want a booster for extra vacuum. Anyway good luck

Last edited by christianchevell; 08-31-2016 at 06:38 PM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #5
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl_slomaro View Post
I was looking for a large duration with a large overlap to help on top end. I was looking to install it on the stock motor for now for tits and giggles.. I was wondering on ptv clearance with the large duration. It isn't a lift monster but the duration is the kicker
Duration has more to do with PTV clearance than lift. I'm pretty certain you will have to fly cut the stock pistons at minimum to allow for the proper clearance. Last thing you want is valves and pistons kissing each other. I'd again suggest contacting the individual who spec'd that cam, or anyone whos reputable in the industry (Brian Tooley, Pat G, Martin Smallwood, ect) and see what they think.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:16 PM   #6
Blackpearl_slomaro

Thanks guys I appreciate it!!
Old 09-01-2016, 05:50 AM   #7
Kip Fabre

Drives: 2010 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl_slomaro View Post
This cam will not fit in a stock LS without fly cutting the Pistons.

Last edited by Kip Fabre; 09-27-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Kip Fabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
There you go from the horses mouth you said you wanted a destroked motor so you got a racing cam for one........