Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-08-2016, 09:57 PM   #1
dhickmanii

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS(45th Anniversary)
EVAP Vent Valve Replacement

Hello all. I recently got a small EVAP leak trouble code and saw the TSB about the malfunctioning EVAP vent valves. I have a special warranty to cover the TSB, but if it turns out not to be the problem, you owe the dealer for the diagnostic. I am not willing to wager $100 to save $25 so I decided to take mine off and see if it was functioning properly, but all the information I've seen said I would have to remove the rear end or at least a tire. I just wanted to let everyone know that you can get the EVAP vent valve out of the charcoal canister on my 2012 2SS without removing anything except 1 bolt. Simply look on the driver's side of the canister and remove that bolt holding it on. You will probably need about 12" of extension. I managed without a universal. Once you have that bolt out, rotate the canister clockwise when looking from the drivers side. This will give the vent valve enough clearance to be removed. To remove that vent valve, twist it counterclockwise about a 1/4 turn. Then pull out of the canister. Once you have it out of the canister, you can remove the electrical connector. Installation is the reverse. I did it on jack stands. Also, I am not a small person. 6', 225 lb; so where there is a will, there is a way. Good Luck!

David
2012 2SS 45th Anniversary Edition
Mobile, AL
dhickmanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:17 AM   #2
4RSS FED
Now Compressing Air

Drives: 2012
Thanks for posting this. I just changed out the Vent Solenoid tonight because of a P0442 Code. The Purge Solenoid checked out okay so I went after the Vent Solenoid.

I usually don't post too much but here is how I did it. I removed the exhaust to make a little more room to get my arm up in there. I loosened the bolt on the passenger's side and removed the bolt on the driver's side. This allowed the charcoal canister to be tilted to slide the solenoid out toward the rear and clear the crossmember. There is a couple of inches of dead space between the differential and charcoal box. Here is a short video I shot with my phone. Maybe it will help someone else.

I bench tested both units and the one that was removed functioned but was not as snappy as the new one. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

https://youtu.be/DFrUe4JVe_8
4RSS FED is offline   Reply With Quote