Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #43
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarorss350 View Post
There's really no discussion here... if he beat on it or not its still under warranty and the dealer legally needs to respect that until proven otherwise.

end of story.
End of story???? All we know is that there is a "stock appearing" car sitting at some shop that doesn't belong to the OP. Did the owner have a NOS system on the car and pulled it off before taking it to the dealer only to have the solenoids or wiring found? Did he have a supercharger on that he removed and the shop found the taps on the block or pan and asked about them? Was the owner at a speed event that was filmed? Is there a tune on the car (hard to see this while inspecting it visually)? Maybe this is the second (or third) motor in this short of a timeframe (early cobra mustang story here)?

I ask all these questions, because I've been a part of every one of them as a technician in the past. You'd be amazed the crap people try to pull to get GM to cover THEIR mistakes.

GM doesn't just run around voiding warranties for no reason. This car had its powertrain warranty voided for something the owner did...do we know what that was? Not until they show up here.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #44
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
It is just people.....expect everything for nothing and even stilll expect everything even when they deserve nothing. If I knew I was abusing my car, using or modifying it beyond its original performance design and something breaks, I don't expect GM to give me a penny. Maybe a free cup of coffee while I wait for their shuttle to take me back to work or home. I know someone who works at WalMart and the stories he tells about people's stories for returning stuff...just amazing. It is just people, they'll never understand. That is the End of Story.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #45
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
It is just people.....expect everything for nothing and even stilll expect everything even when they deserve nothing. If I knew I was abusing my car, using or modifying it beyond its original performance design and something breaks, I don't expect GM to give me a penny. Maybe a free cup of coffee while I wait for their shuttle to take me back to work or home. I know someone who works at WalMart and the stories he tells about people's stories for returning stuff...just amazing. It is just people, they'll never understand. That is the End of Story.
Don't even get me started on the crap that I see people lugging back into Wal-Mart. I watched a couple unload an obviously abused flat screen from a car...rolled it back inside and had the audacity to say the reason the TV wasn't working was it was defective....I'm standing in the return line next to them observing the soda/beer sludge and the 6 inches of dirt on this thing...The sad thing is that Wal-Mart took it back! I'm guessing this is where some of the "I want to mod without risk" mentality is coming from-stores taking back crap they shouldn't.

I agree...end of story UNLESS the owner of this car steps up to say otherwise.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #46
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2015i Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
It would be nice to know what GM found and if the owner did any mods.
Current:2015i Cadilac Escalade,2016 Lexus RC350,2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned & loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09
Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
[SIGPIC]
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #47
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_p View Post
I just got back from my speed shop (discussing my 427 build) and they had a LS3 6M there with <3000 miles (BONE STOCK).. with a hole in the block. #1 rod let loose. This car was as stock as they come and it wsa there because GM VOIDED the warranty. CLAIMED ABUSE. Trust me I know abuse. I abuse the crap out of mine but this car had seen no abuse. GM is tightening their belt loops. The shop even went to the GM dealership with the parts to show them that there was no abuse.. I thought this was a shame and everyone should know.
What everyone else is saying: how do you know it was bone stock?
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #48
BBQTriAngle

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
"There ain't no nuggets in Chicken Nuggets."

Ain't no chicken either..
BBQTriAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #49
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQTriAngle View Post

Hey don't spoil it for me

*sticks fingers in ears and hums*
All-Or-Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #50
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQTriAngle View Post

Spoiler alert!
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #51
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
I'm surprised no mods have chipped in their opinions on this one. If it was declined for warranty work, a reason must come with it. If a reason is not given, then it leaves doubt you get most people on the side of the owner with the warranty claim. If there is proof of some kind of abuse, wouldn't it be prudent to let us know exactly what criteria "abuse" falls under so we all may not do the same things to our car... Just my two cents..
Old 10-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #52
Oldrocker

Drives: 2010 SS2/RS Victory Red
Quote:
I would have to respectfully disagree. Buying a sportscar doesn't necessarily mean you are buying Reliability. Performance does not always equate to Reliability. Actually, it is the opposite for the most part. All it mainly means is you are getting more performance at the sure expense of reliability. You disagree? Well, I can bet you anything any sub-$20k car from Japan and most sub-$20k from anywhere else will outlast most if not all "Performance" cars. and YES, I have driven these cheapos hard and like a Timex watch, they just keep on going. There is price to pay in performance. And No, most street cars, performance cars or not, ARE NOT designed for the drag strip or race track. I wouldn't classify a $30k+ Camaro as one that is built for strip/track in mind such as the Z06, ZR1, GTR, 911, M3, etal.

Maggie 2300 will go on soon and I opted to buy the Magnuson optional powertrain warranty to help cover the cost IF something happens.
I guess it depends on what type of performance care we are talking about and how it is driven. I had a customer years ago with 1,000,000 miles on a 84 Porsche 928, yes that's one million miles, not a typo. This car was well maintained and driven every where. Once he had it shipped to Germany and drove it all over Europe for a year (it would be nice to be wealthy and have the time to do this). I have other customers with high mile 911's, Performance BMW's etc... I have a good friend with 250,000 miles on his 92 RS Camaro. I've also seen Japanese cars with scrapped engines with low miles on them. It all depends on how well it's driven and how well it's maintained.
Oldrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #53
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmike View Post
Was that suppose to scare or impress somebody?
dont need to do that its was just a saying .but you just impressed me
Old 10-25-2009, 09:07 AM   #54
Mungo

Drives: trans am
Quote:
I would have to respectfully disagree. Buying a sportscar doesn't necessarily mean you are buying Reliability. Performance does not always equate to Reliability. Actually, it is the opposite for the most part. All it mainly means is you are getting more performance at the sure expense of reliability. You disagree? Well, I can bet you anything any sub-$20k car from Japan and most sub-$20k from anywhere else will outlast most if not all "Performance" cars. and YES, I have driven these cheapos hard and like a Timex watch, they just keep on going. There is price to pay in performance. And No, most street cars, performance cars or not, ARE NOT designed for the drag strip or race track. I wouldn't classify a $30k+ Camaro as one that is built for strip/track in mind such as the Z06, ZR1, GTR, 911, M3, etal.

Maggie 2300 will go on soon and I opted to buy the Magnuson optional powertrain warranty to help cover the cost IF something happens.
If what you are saying is true..than why do the manufactures of performance cars like the G-8; Corvette; and Camaro and even the Colbalt SS go to the track at Nurenburg to wring out these cars under extreme performance conditions if they were not meant to do it? Civics and Hyudai don't go to Nuenburg. Throwing a rod is not normal. Something broke. That's why these cars have rev limiters to prevent fools from subjecting these engines to more than they were DESIGNED to do.
Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:09 AM   #55
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
well, if GM is gonna void our warranties anyway (even on a completely stock car)...there's no point in NOT modding your car (if you want to).
Old 10-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #56
n2oSS

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
If you check a few performance sites you can find the little law sheet that explains the users rights for modding thier vehicle. Basically it comes down to GM has to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the mod you installed caused the problem which led them to void the warranty.

Now I have personally seen dealerships try to bully people out of warranties for using a short ram intake on thier car. I also tested this theory with a previous car and drove it up to the dealership with a nitrous kit installed to see what they would say. They raised hell about it but i asked them to prove it did anything to the car, and they couldn't even prove if it was used or not and aggreed not to void my warranty just becuase it was installed ( houston nissan dealership fyi ).

This guys delema he may need to take it to a diff dealership or take gm to court, also send a letter to GM about the incident requesting a written statement about the issue they believe cuased it. Then take em to court if he feels it is unjust ........ jury trial fyi, no one will side with a vendor of vehicles being shady, remember your fellow nieghbors buy cars too.
n2oSS is offline   Reply With Quote