Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-09-2014, 05:53 AM   #1
ny27la

Drives: 2012 Black LT
Anyone else with HID's have had this happen?

So today I finish work and I stop by a couple places before I get home. I turned off my car and turned it on about two times before getting home and every time I turned it off it made a weird sound. I couldn't pin point what it was. When I got home I popped the hood to look underneath and try to locate where the sound was coming from. As I opened the hood I can smell a really bad smell of burned plastic. At first I thought it was my intake because the smell was really strong from that area and I do have an aftermarket intake. I then started pushing my unlock button on the key fob on and off and I kept hearing the sound. I now figured it was from my HID. Then the light just stopped working and I saw smoke. I immediately moved the intake out of the way and removed the HID out of the headlight. I then unplugged the wire and got shocked and a little flame came from the HID bulb. I never had this happen to me with the old HID's I had for 2 1/2 years. I just got these installed about 4 months ago and only one side did this. Has anyone else with HID's for non-RS had this happen to them?
Currently I removed the ballast and HID bulb from that side and plugged in my factory halogen bulb. Which brings me to my next question.. Can I just plug my original bulb back into my car or is there something else I have to do? It works. Also could this affect my factory wire? Should I be worried or is it just a faulty ballast and HID bulb?

I'm just really worried my headlight wire is now damaged because of this.
ny27la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Why are you running HIDs in a housing not designed for them? Frankly you deserve it, I can't stand people who put HIDs in the improper housing, I get blinded by them all the time.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
oslouie

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Redline
You might have a 55 watt bulb and ballast. That can cause your wires to overheat. To answer another one of your questions...all you need to do is take off the clip that goes to your aftermarket ballast amd plug in your oem bulb.
oslouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Cars and Tea
Banned

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
Why are you running HIDs in a housing not designed for them? Frankly you deserve it, I can't stand people who put HIDs in the improper housing, I get blinded by them all the time.
In his defense.

I run the stock RS HIDs and everyday I drive home at least one person flashes their lights at me like I have high beams on.
Cars and Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by oslouie View Post
You might have a 55 watt bulb and ballast. That can cause your wires to overheat.
Nope. A 55watt HID draws the same (or less) amperage as a 55w halogen bulb. Only difference is that the HID kit will show an initial spike in amperage during the initial "lighting" of the capsule. It's less than a quarter second of spike, though. Not enough to damage OEM wiring.

But yeah, get your shit HIDs out of those halogen housings and just get good halogen bulbs.

Consider yourself lucky your car didn't start on fire.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
TheSmokingSuns

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 2011 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Calm down dude
TheSmokingSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
oslouie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
Nope. A 55watt HID draws the same (or less) amperage as a 55w halogen bulb. Only difference is that the HID kit will show an initial spike in amperage during the initial "lighting" of the capsule. It's less than a quarter second of spike, though. Not enough to damage OEM wiring.

But yeah, get your shit HIDs out of those halogen housings and just get good halogen bulbs.

Consider yourself lucky your car didn't start on fire.
Right...but did you consider that the wiring may be fit for 35 watt, not 55?
Old 11-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by oslouie View Post
Right...but did you consider that the wiring may be fit for 35 watt, not 55?
I think you're misinterpreting what OP is talking about. The wiring on/from his ballast was melting, not the vehicle's wiring, since he put the halogen bulb back in and it works.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
oslouie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
I think you're misinterpreting what OP is talking about. The wiring on/from his ballast was melting, not the vehicle's wiring, since he put the halogen bulb back in and it works.
Yeah, I didn't read the part where he stated his halogen bulb works:(
Old 11-09-2014, 11:07 PM   #10
Kendell347
Doc

Drives: BLACKOUT & Fifty
For now you should probably go back to stock, sounds like you may have damaged the bulb and may have melted the housing? Sounds like your ballast had power if you got shocked

Sent from BLACKOUT using Tapatalk
1100-7/20/2009 * 6000-2/4/10 Proud Owner of Autographed Litho # 1282010 Camaro 2 SS/RS - BLACKOUT & 2017 Camaro 2 SS - 50th Anniversary #894 WWW. NY5THGEN.COM
Kendell347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #11
anotherreject

Drives: no camaro
This is what happens with crappy hid kits from china or wherever, no quality control
anotherreject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:32 AM   #12
DagoCountyGee

Drives: '15 SS
I've never heard of this happening. I've used those hid kits in the past and currently have them in 3 of our vehicles. We never get flashed either...
Old 11-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #13
DagoCountyGee

Drives: '15 SS
Quote:
Maybe you should stop staring at the lights and look at the road?
Old 11-10-2014, 06:18 AM   #14
velocity149

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
First of all, be careful with HID's. they can and WILL kill you. they run at around 1500 degrees F while running, and draw up to 25,000v to fire up. This is fatal in the wrong place. Furthermore, the safety hazards involved in using insufficient housings, include blinding other drivers if you do not have projector style housings, and burning if the retainer is not made of metal, or thermally sound material.

Thank our veterans for peace today, Support our troops for peace tomorrow. RIP Dad, 1962-2012 SYOTOS
velocity149 is offline   Reply With Quote